PDA

View Full Version : Ve grow too soon oldt and too late schmart!

Shuz
12-19-2012, 08:13 PM
The purpose of this post is to try and prevent others from making the same mistake as I did at a recent gun show.

I was/am looking for a decent scope for my 1894 Marlin .44 mag lever rifle that has seen only cast boolits since the day I brought it home. I, being on the thrifty side of 70, (ok cheap) found what looked like a pristine old steel tube Weaver V-7A, 2.5x7 scope at a recent gun show. The bluing is all intact and there are no scope ring marks on it anywhere. I figgered good deal for $60.00. I already have another Weaver V-7 just like it, and it has served me well for years. Now to the point. After mounting, the scope would not track to the collimater. Just to be sure, I test fired it at 25 yards, and after shooting 5 shots that grouped nicely 3 inches right and 2 inches low, I moved the windage 20 clicks left and fired 3 shots. They went into the same original group. I then moved the windage another 20 clicks and fired 3 shots with the same result, no movement of the group. Based on what I experienced with the collimater, I was not surprised, but still disappointed in my "new" scope.
I contacted Weaver and explained the problem and was told that my scope was made by the old Weaver Co. that went out of business in 1984 and that they no longer had the parts or tooling to repair my scope. They did refer me to an outfit www.ironsightinc.com that repairs these old Weaver and other scopes but their turn around time is 12 to 14 months and the cost is $95.00 with a one year warranty. I should have known that this "deal" was too good to be true!
Anybody know of any other scope refurbishers out there that do quality work and have a better turn around time than 12 to 14 months?

wmitty
12-21-2012, 08:00 PM
I am in the same boat. Ordered a 2 x 7 Redfield several years ago and it arrived with both crosshairs broken. Seller (individual) would not make it good so it sits on the shelf and stares at me with one eye. The place you mentioned is the only place I came up with as a repair business, and the scope isn't worth it.

HangFireW8
12-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Don't know if they are still in business, but these guys fixed a Steel tube Weaver for me about a decade ago, and did a fine job.

If the town looks familiar, yes it was founded by ex-Weaver USA employees.

Weaver Scope Repair Service
1121 Larry Mahan Drive
El Paso TX 79925
915-593-1005

Shuz
12-22-2012, 11:58 AM
Don't know if they are still in business, but these guys fixed a Steel tube Weaver for me about a decade ago, and did a fine job.

If the town looks familiar, yes it was founded by ex-Weaver USA employees.

Weaver Scope Repair Service
1121 Larry Mahan Drive
El Paso TX 79925
915-593-1005

Thanks for the info, I'll give them a call after the hollidays. Merry Christmas one and all!
Shuz

craig61a
12-22-2012, 12:51 PM
I always get a little nervous buying a used scope for this very reason...

milkman
12-22-2012, 04:44 PM
Shuz
I tried to get an old weaver repaired a couple years ago. I got the same story, but was offered a 50% discount on any current scope. If they didn't offer, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Milkman

gundownunder
12-22-2012, 08:51 PM
You say it won't track to the left, but will it track to the right and will it track up and down.
If it will do that, why not turn the scope 90deg and use the vertical adjust to do the horizontal.

Gohon
12-22-2012, 09:10 PM
Well.........first of all that is not what he said, second, the darn thing would look weird, third and most importantly he then would be shooting 3 inches high with no way to bring the elevation down.

Shuz, what you might try is run the windage as far as it will go either right or left and then lightly tap the scope with a rawhide mallet. what ever is causing it to stick just might pop loose. You really have nothing to lose at this point.

Nrut
12-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Shuz,
Run/turn your elevation and windage knobs to their full limit at least 5 times and back to center when you are done..
Sometimes that cures scope tracking problems..

williamwaco
12-22-2012, 11:23 PM
In addition to that, most scopes made in that time period ( not just Weaver ) adjusted sporadically.

You could turn turn knob say 8 clicks. over the next five to ten rounds the point of impact will gradually move to the new location.

I may be paranoid but I belive every scope is out to get me. When sighting in after moving the elevation and or windage adjustments. I hold the entire rifle vertical and rap the butt sharply on the bench four or five times before even trying it.

Shuz
12-26-2012, 11:58 AM
In addition to that, most scopes made in that time period ( not just Weaver ) adjusted sporadically.

You could turn turn knob say 8 clicks. over the next five to ten rounds the point of impact will gradually move to the new location.

I may be paranoid but I belive every scope is out to get me. When sighting in after moving the elevation and or windage adjustments. I hold the entire rifle vertical and rap the butt sharply on the bench four or five times before even trying it.

Well, I decided to take the scope off the rifle and try and return it to the fella I bought it from at the gun show. He seems like a decent kinda guy and I've bought stuff from him in the past. We'll see. In the meantime, I've mounted a Bushnell Scopechief 4x that I had laying around and we'll see how that turns out. If I'm unable to return it, I may just do what Gohon has suggested, but I'll do it on a rifle with known accuracy potential, not the 1894 Marlin .44 mag that has never demonstrated any accuracy potential. Again, be wary of any scope displayed on a gun show table. Things are not always as the appear!

Shuz
01-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Update--good news! The fella that sold me the V-7A Weaver that wouldn't track gave me a full refund yesterday! He promptly put it back out on his gun show table and said he would notify any future buyers of the problem. Well, at least it's not my problem! Oh, and I also finally sold my 1894 Marlin in .44 mag. Talk about a happy camper! First time I ever went to a gun show and came back with more money in my pocket than I left with, and no less guns to boot. A pristine 336 Marlin in .30-30 followed me home!

1Shirt
01-06-2013, 12:23 PM
The title of this thread is my favorite Pa Dutch saying! Couldn't agree with it more!
1Shirt!