PDA

View Full Version : Anyone make gas checks for .401 dia. handgun cast bullets?

21Glock
12-19-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm wanting to drive my 175gr. TC LEE hardcast bullets to higher velocities and want to know if anyone makes gas checks for .401 dia cast bullets that would work on this bullet? I've heard of some folks using a press mounted bullet puller to seat gas checks on these types of bullets.

Thanks!

Any Cal.
12-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Yondering put up a thread on another forum detailing the adding of checks to plain base boolits. He was using Al checks from James Sage on Ebay, and had good success with them. He used checks for a .401 shank diameter, then seated and swaged them down in a Lee push through sizer. The process works well, he said he could push 175s much harder with no leading.

I bought some checks and tried the process, but never got around to shooting them myself. I can link to the thread later if it is ok to do so.

boltons75
12-19-2012, 04:29 PM
I also bought some from the eBay guy, but haven't shot them yet.

abqcaster
12-19-2012, 04:37 PM
You could buy one of Pat Marlin's checkmakers and make them from pop cans. http://www.patmarlins.com/

yondering
12-20-2012, 12:11 AM
Yondering put up a thread on another forum detailing the adding of checks to plain base boolits. He was using Al checks from James Sage on Ebay, and had good success with them. He used checks for a .401 shank diameter, then seated and swaged them down in a Lee push through sizer. The process works well, he said he could push 175s much harder with no leading.

I bought some checks and tried the process, but never got around to shooting them myself. I can link to the thread later if it is ok to do so.

One clarification, I size these plain base checks on with a Lyman luber sizer, not the Lee die.

For my own use I make them from soda cans, with a home-made punch, but the concept is similar to PatMarlin's PB Checkmaker. (I have a Checkmaker for 9mm, it works great.) For those who don't want to make their own though, James Sage is selling them now, specifically for the 10mm plain base application, on ebay. (Search for 10mm Pistol (.008) Aluminum Plain Base Gas Checks) I presume he did this based on my feedback of the checks he made for me; they are thicker than soda can, at .008", so they size a little harder, but work very well. You may need to polish the mouth of your lubersizer die, but this is the way to go for high velocity 10mm cast bullets.

I don't recommend the RCBS lubersizer die for these thin aluminum checks (either soda can or Sage's .008 litho plate), as the lubing ring inside the die tends to catch the check as the bullet is raised back up. The Lyman dies work fine though.

21Glock
12-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Where do the folks that sell .401 cast bullets that are FNGC get their gas checks? Is GATOR GAS CHECKS still in business? I did a search and didn't see any web site on them. I can't understand why Hornady doesn't make them for .401 dia. bullets.

popper
12-20-2012, 11:07 AM
What fps do you want? Is leading the problem or do you want 10mm performance?

bstone5
12-20-2012, 02:06 PM
I made a gas check maker for the 40 S&W bullets I shoot.

I have shot powder coated 40 Cal bullets with a cola can gas check at he jacket pressures and velocity with out any lead or problems.

In the Gas Check section there are some PDF drawings I converted from the Auto Cad drawings of the various gas check makers I have made.

The cola can gas check on a lead bullet results in no lead.

The powder coating replaces the lube and keeps all equipment clean during the reloading process.

It takes a little time to install the gas checks but the results are worth the effort.

Moonie
12-20-2012, 02:20 PM
You really need to define "higher velocities" as lots of us drive PB boolits in excess of 1500fps with no issues.

popper
12-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Moonie - not in a 40SW.

21Glock
12-20-2012, 04:52 PM
That is the fps I'm talking about 1300-1500fps. I'm using White Label 2500 rifle lube in my RCBS LAMII on my 10mm cast loads (175gr. LEE TC, plain base) that I drive around 1200fps now. Just wanting to go a little hotter with little or no lead issues. Any secrets or advice on what you do to get to those fps with no lead issues who be helpful.

Thanks!

21Glock
12-20-2012, 04:53 PM
That is the fps I'm talking about 1300-1500fps. I'm using White 2500 rifle lube in my RCBS LAMII on my 10mm cast loads (175gr. LEE TC, plain base) that I drive around 1200fps now. Just wanting to go a little hotter with little or no lead issues. Any secrets or advice on what you do to get to those fps with no lead issues would be very helpful.

Thanks!

yondering
12-21-2012, 12:14 AM
21Glock, I think the only commercial source of .401 gas checks is(was?) Gator, and then only in a group buy. Yeah, it seems silly, I know. The only downside of using a standard copper check, if they were available, is the bullet ends up .020-.030" longer than if it were plain base with a plain base check applied. The thinner plain base checks really do allow more powder capacity, and the difference is significant.

I agree that you will need some form of check to shoot at 1300-1500 fps in the 10mm or 40 S&W. Some folks forget that leading is a function of pressure too, not just velocity.

runfiverun
12-21-2012, 12:26 AM
you know blammer sells gator checks right here on this sight....

Moonie
12-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Moonie - not in a 40SW.

I never said 40SW, neither did the OP. I shoot a 400 Corbon in a 6" barrel, I can hit those numbers in this caliber and in other calibers using plain base boolits with no leading issues.

How hard are your "hardcast" boolits, alloy? heat treatment?

popper
12-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Moonie - agree, probably don't need the GC at that fps. He just stated cal after my post.

Blammer
12-21-2012, 08:48 PM
I have some 40 cal GC's, gator brand, shoot me a PM for details.