PDA

View Full Version : molybdenum tumble lube

vernb
12-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Ive only casted 200 or so boolits so far with a lee 255g swc in .452 . Up until now I've only used 50/50 NRA lube applied by hand and liquid x lox tumble lubed both with good results . A friend offered to tumble some in Moly with his jacketed stuff . I gave him 100 boolits to tumble and then j started reading discouraging results. Should I try them ? With or without additional lube ? If I melt them back down will it ruin my alloy or will it flux off ?

RobS
12-18-2012, 10:54 PM
I've done this before with cast boolits and it will work alright for lower pressure applications. Also hard boolits tend to fair better as they tumble around collecting the moly. Having done this I have to say tumble lubing in alox or running the 50/50 tumble lube yields a better outcome.

Regards to melting them back down, I didn't see any issues with the alloy after I smelted them back down in my smelter. I can't say as to a casting furnace and if there would be issues to the pot.

Welcome to the forum.

Tom W.
12-18-2012, 10:58 PM
Additional lube. I had a friend who made the same offer some years back. My Government model started having feeding problems with about three shots, then I cleared it, locked the slide back and it looked like there was silver spaghetti coming out of the muzzle. I pulled all of the moly coated bullets and rolled them around in liquid alox, then reloaded the bullets. They worked really well after properly lubing them...

44man
12-19-2012, 11:38 AM
My understanding is that moly can build up in the bore and is very hard to remove.

onesonek
12-19-2012, 11:45 AM
It's also hydroscopic,,,,(attracts moisture).