PDA

View Full Version : 38/55 Cases Question

brokenspur
12-18-2012, 06:45 PM
Many years ago ( over 10 ) I purchased 20 new cases from Ballard Rifle and Cartridge, Cody, WY. Some how they got moved to the back of my loading bench and I found them today. :-)
I can see why I moved them to the back of my bench.They were to nice to use.:p
They look like they were machined out of a solid block of brass. they All are 2.120 and then I notice the primer pocket. Small primer pockets.
At that point in time I was shooting a Winchester lever in 38/55 and it did very good at 100 yds. For some reason I traded it off. About a year ago I purchased A Lyman Sharps
and have been having a ball working up loads for it. It shoots quite well. Using 2200 and 240gr sized .380. I had Steve Earle make some custom Unertl bases for my Unertl BV-20
My question is why the small primer pocket ?
Do they work as good as large or does it really matter. Is the small for Black Powder ?
I went to the Ballard web-site to see about more cases, however they do not list them now.
Thanking all of you for any answers and wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas.
John Missouri

beagle
12-18-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm not precisely sure for the reson for the small primer pocket. This has been done over the years in many calibers. The 454 Casull, the .45/70, the .30 American and many of the non toxic loadings in .45 ACP.

In normal cartridges (not the big capacity cases and slow burning powders) the small primer gives adequate powder ignition. The large primers give too much "blast" if you will and this will affect accuracy with cast bullets. The 38/55 should do quite well with small primers.

I habitually use small pistol primers in my .22 Hornet, .223 and .222 wit cast loads and accuracy is improved.

I love to use small primer pocket loads in my Ruger Blackhawk with the .45 ACP cylinder as the small primers allow higher loads with less pressure for the given load.

I'm assuming, the small pockets in the 38/55 brass will do the same. I know I'd load and use them and enjoy them./beagle

williamwaco
12-18-2012, 09:13 PM
I load low level loads in my .38-55.
When I got it, primers were scarce as horse feathers.
I used large pistol because that was all I could find.
They worked fine.

I expect they made a small primer pocket because they thought a less violent primer would produce better accuracy.

Many years ago that was a common belief.

Guesser
12-18-2012, 09:37 PM
The Ballard cases are turned from brass stock, not drawn as are most cases. I have 20 pieces of Ballard turned 43 Spanish, they are beautiful. Turned cases are not as durable as drawn cases. Expect a relatively short life span of the turned cases. I'm not using mine, too purty!!!!

HangFireW8
12-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Turned cases were often used for single shot breech loaders that were separately loaded- bullet seated in the lands (with a set-length tool) then the charged case. They were made thick and would last 100-200 shots or more.

HF

brokenspur
12-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Thank you all for the info.
Where can I buy 38/55 cases with Small Primers Pockes ?