PDA

View Full Version : "I can't believe we made it"

Jim
12-18-2012, 12:00 PM
As a bona fide member of the 'Boomer' generation, I can really relate to this.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/zyAGE8Y7ojc

koehn,jim
12-18-2012, 01:52 PM
How very true.

starmac
12-18-2012, 02:20 PM
Yup been saying it for years, Now I hear in some places they will lock you up for letting your kid grow up with a little sense. lol

I know for sure we(I) would be locked up these days for what we did for fun when I was a kid. lol

oneokie
12-18-2012, 03:09 PM
Yep, it's a wonder many of us made it to adulthood.

starmac
12-18-2012, 09:13 PM
The way people act these days, makes you wonder why the human race never went extinct.

williamwaco
12-18-2012, 10:41 PM
The way people act these days, makes you wonder why the human race never went extinct.

I am not so sure it didn't.

MtGun44
12-19-2012, 12:43 AM
All that and more. We played with mercury from broken thermometers, we swung from rope
swings out over creeks and sand pits, got in fist fights at school and got away with
weird and dangerous pranks.

There are a lot of whiney cats out there now, but there are still some solid, brave and
capable young people, too. Sad to say this election may have proven that the takers have
finally overtaken the makers.

Bill

Jammersix
12-19-2012, 02:17 AM
I used to ride bikes. Mom would yell "GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!" when I got to be too much.

Now my grandchildren tell me you can't ride in Seattle without a helmet. But I look at them and think "that's good..."

Don't forget-- it's change, that's all. It's different, it isn't better or worse, anymore than we were better or worse than our parents.

Those just executed a soft landing on Mars. Don't forget that part.

runfiverun
12-19-2012, 02:39 AM
and everybody watched it on their cell phone instead of doing their jobs.

Stephen Cohen
12-19-2012, 03:02 AM
Thank you for posting what I have always felt (that I was lucky) to have been raised in a time of decency.

DCP
12-19-2012, 03:23 PM
And yes we also grew up in a Christian Nation

Olevern
12-19-2012, 04:51 PM
Great video, guess I made it, too. Made it just far enough to taste the return on my many years of paying into s.s. and possibly not get it because 'they' (the politicians) stole the money every year I was payin it in. Have had angry 'discussions' with younger folk who feel that because I also have a L.E. pension, I shouldn't be able to collect. Yeah, I'm part of the baby boomers. A part that is thoroughly fed up and disgusted with the world/society I currently live in.

white eagle
12-19-2012, 05:37 PM
I am here ! I made it ####### it

LocoFixer
12-20-2012, 08:53 AM
As a member of a generation full of sue happy cry babies i wish to extend my apologize to each and everyone of you. I can relate to a lot in that video also, growing up my mom was working nights, before she laid down i was always told "if your not bleeding or dying i don't want to hear about it" later on she added broken bones in also. I go to work and listen to my coworkers complain about there children, not having jobs, living off welfare, asking for handouts from everyone they meet and crying about how hard they have it. There children are the same age as me. It makes me fill ashamed knowing what type of people I get to call my generation. Once again i apologize for their actions

Chicken Thief
12-20-2012, 09:11 AM
If we are so great how come we produced such poor/dumb kids?

Jim
12-20-2012, 09:17 AM

We? You must have a rat in your pocket. MY son has never been arrested, has a good job, says "Yes Ma'am" to his moma and is teaching his children to be productive and respectable members of society.

Frank46
12-20-2012, 04:48 PM
It wasn't unusual to just hop on the bike that I scrounged up out of other bikes and just take off for parts unknown. Walking to the public library, getting chased by the cops for something we did not do and having my buddy's uncle call the watch commander and reaming him a new one cause he saw what happened. Selling firewood pulled in a homemade wagon. Exploring abandoned homes that were due to be torn down to make way for a department store.And finding hundreds of old books that had just been left in one house. Falling through the roof of an old shed and landing on the grass floor. Yeah, wonder we made it as far as we did. Frank

Chicken Thief
12-20-2012, 04:53 PM
We? You must have a rat in your pocket. MY son has never been arrested, has a good job, says "Yes Ma'am" to his moma and is teaching his children to be productive and respectable members of society.

Errrh, was it not you that used the word we in the title?
So what you are actually saying is "we the right ones" not we as a generation?

starmac
12-20-2012, 04:55 PM

I have to say I'm with Jim on this one. There are still many kids that are the cream of the crop. Ones kids generally, are what the parents make of them.

starmac
12-20-2012, 04:55 PM

I have to say I'm with Jim on this one. There are still many kids that are the cream of the crop. Ones kids generally, are what the parents make of them.

oneokie
12-20-2012, 05:01 PM

My opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it: We wanted our kids to have a better and easier life than we did growing up.

Adversity is good for building character and motivating people. Besides, what don't kill ya, makes ya stronger.

Beekeeper
12-20-2012, 05:08 PM
OK it would be great if we could see the video but all I get is a sign saying a private video and I do not have access.

beekeeper

Jim
12-20-2012, 05:45 PM
It was open to the public the day I posted it. Apparently, it has been privatized since.

DCP
12-20-2012, 05:52 PM
Jim

These 2 work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIj_Sh3kJJg

http://vimeo.com/52231459

Jim
12-20-2012, 06:11 PM
Good job, thank you!

jcwit
12-20-2012, 06:35 PM
All I get is snow and a message that this vidio is private? Whats up?

jcwit
12-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Oh wait I see its fixed now. Whats up with this site and all the multiple posts?

starmac
12-20-2012, 07:03 PM
Well.........I don't mean to throw a wet blanket on your nostalgia......but.....

I knew a kid who shot his eye out with a BB gun....and a few others who came very, very close.

I knew a kid who died in a coma from a head injury....a bicycle helmet would have saved his life.

A friend of mine has a son who has spent the last 45 years in a wheel chair because he and a buddy were playing with a shotgun while Dad wasn't home.

I don't hear very well because for 30+ years I shot without hearing protection.

There was a ***** house painter who lived down the road from us when I was a kid. He died sometime in the late '70's from some strange disease the doctors didn't have a cure for.

Polio.........

I think the thing that makes "The Good Old Days" so great is the things we choose not to remember.

Jerry

I remember 26 that died in one place just last week.
Yes Kids got hurt back then, but they were alive, at least while they were with us in this world. I doubt the track record is much different now that they can't hardly go out and play anymore.

bob208
12-21-2012, 05:36 AM
i remember my mom would have to catch me and clean up the little cuts and scratches. it would burn like h.
remember getting a cut on the job would wrap it up with a paper towel. ry to hide it so no one would see how stupid you were. now they look for a lawyer to make some money out of it.

wildwilly
12-21-2012, 12:03 PM
The "cream of the crop" kids are becoming fewer. And most of them tend to come from families of recent immigrants who place top value on a good education.

Jammersix
12-21-2012, 12:27 PM
No, they're not. I went back to school, and graduated in the class of 2006, at the tender age of 48.

One of the things I learned is that the generation coming up has it's share of geniuses, hard workers, inquisitive, intelligent kids, and that when the time comes to hand things over to them, they will do just fine.