PDA

View Full Version : cva kentucky lock issue

GREENCOUNTYPETE
12-18-2012, 10:32 AM
I purchased a used CVA Kentucky long rifle in 45

it needed a little clean up but it cleaned up decent

the outside and last 30 inches of the barrel were all in good shape , but the 2 inches closest to the breech plug needed a good cleaning , the previous owner had used it only a few times and cleaned it but only had the factory ram rod so couldn't get the last bit of the barrel as well as he should have, the rod is exactly as long as the barrel

back to the problem , the lock is clean and seems to be in good order , but it is taking 2-3 strikes of the hammer to get a cap to fire

I have tried it with the older Remington caps it came with and some new CCI caps i just purchased

kenyerian
12-18-2012, 10:50 AM
Back in the mid 80's I took my son to a gun store that had TC new Englanders on sale the week before the primitive weapons season but they were sold out. My son really wanted to hunt so he picked out a CVA Hawken Style 50 caliber. We could never get the lock to work correctly. The part that held the nipple could be adjusted so it hit the cap squarely and that helped some but it was never dependable. We traded it off and I bought him a knight wolverine that used caps and he still hunts with it today. I would never buy a CVA after that experience.

docone31
12-18-2012, 10:51 AM
I bet, the hammer has either some cap material in it, or the nipple is a little large for the cap.
They take #11 caps. You can remove the nipple and sand lightly where the cap goes. If there is a burr, or if it is crud covered, This will help.
They are good rifles. A definate good starter rifle. My wife has one and I restocked it with Birds Eye Maple. Looks good.
Track of the Wolf also has upgrade locks for that rifle.
Good Shootin

GREENCOUNTYPETE
12-18-2012, 12:16 PM
last night i ordered a new main spring and new nipples from track of the wolf as well as a new ram rod

I figured the spring was a good spare to have around

I couldn't even hardly see the bur on the nipple but could feel it when i ran my finger over it , i ran it on some emery cloth and now the Remington caps that slip easily over the nipple fire every time now

the CCI are much tighter on this nipple and are still taking 2-3 hits , I will see if the new nipples fit them better , i ordered the nipples that said they were for CCI#11

FLINTNFIRE
12-18-2012, 12:22 PM
So many people dry fire a percussion gun , and it ruins the nipple , not sure if thats the issue , but after looking at the alignment it is the next thing I would check , and if it can be polished back to the right shape and fit or replaced

docone31
12-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Once you get her dialed in, you will like.
I have two CVAs. Both Mountain rifles. Sadly, they do not make them for Leftys. Well, being cappers, not that much of an issue.
I replaced the rear sights with adjustable buckhorns, and the front sights with thicker blades Had to modify the dovetail, but that is a no biggee either.
I like the Buckhorns. With older eyesn they make a difference.
I forgot, if the timing of the hammer is a little off, you can bend it. They bend easily with no heat needed.
On one, I just ground into the hammer to bring it into align.

waksupi
12-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Yep, sounds like someone had dry fired it. Your first hammer falls are driving the cap down, until it finally contacts the anvil. Take the nipple out, chuck it up on a drill and use a file, then sand paper. Check with a cap as you go, until it slides into place with a little resistance. If you use different brands of caps, you will need a nipple for each brand usually.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
12-18-2012, 12:45 PM
I saw the upgraded locks they want more for the lock than i gave for the hole gun

I would have loved to get a Thompson or Lyman , but this one seemed like a good deal

I have now ordered almost as much stuff for the gun as i paid for it, but i got a few extras, i didn't really need

like the ted cash rifleman's capper.

thanks Wasupi for the info i have a 4H gun i need to fit the nipple to the cap also , next spring, when we bring them out again

docone31
12-18-2012, 12:51 PM
That is how it is with rifles.
Centerfires are more cost intensive.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
12-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Once you get her dialed in, you will like.
I have two CVAs. Both Mountain rifles. Sadly, they do not make them for Leftys. Well, being cappers, not that much of an issue.
I replaced the rear sights with adjustable buckhorns, and the front sights with thicker blades Had to modify the dovetail, but that is a no biggee either.
I like the Buckhorns. With older eyesn they make a difference.
I forgot, if the timing of the hammer is a little off, you can bend it. They bend easily with no heat needed.
On one, I just ground into the hammer to bring it into align.

My rear sight isn't very good either , who's buck horn did you go with

i figured i would see how it shot first then tackle the sights

I was thinking a peep rear might be nice

docone31
12-18-2012, 01:23 PM
I used this one.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/879/1/RS-HA-5
You might have issues with a rear peep sight.

waksupi
12-18-2012, 06:50 PM
I've mentioned before, if you get a buckhorn sight, you can heat and shape it perfectly round. Ignore what ever notch they may have cut in it. Just use the whole site as a rear peep.

twotoescharlie
12-18-2012, 06:59 PM
check to see if the relief on the back of the hammer is hitting top of the the lock plate. if it is you can dress it down a little bit or get a longer nipple

TTC

bob208
12-22-2012, 10:38 AM
if you are still having problems with the caps take one of the nippled hold it in a drill press. and use some fine cloth to polish it so the smaller caps will work. when you are hitting 2 or 3 times you are first driving the cap on to the nipple.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
12-22-2012, 04:42 PM
the Remington are firing 100% of the time now that i cleaned up the nipple removing the bur with some emery cloth

when my new nipples come in the mail i will size one for CCI caps with a small file and the drill

bob208
12-23-2012, 10:24 AM
it is not a cva thing. i have a underhammer that when i was shooting a lot of matches it would go through a nipple a year.

having a extra main spring is not a bad idea. for my lyman gpr. i have a whole extra lock. for my 1803 harpers ferry rifle i have a extra frizzen spring flint and the tool to change it out in the patchbox.