PDA

View Full Version : 1 1/2 hours, $242.00

Gussy
06-28-2007, 03:14 PM
I was in luck. The old gent that runs my favorite junk yard is still alive, 93 years old and working. You guys have been making me nervous. I've driven by the yard several times, but this time it was on the top of the list. It took an hour plus 30 min of BS. I got a 200 lb chunk, 4 buckets half full of ingots, 1 bucket near full of misc, all total about 650 lbs of lead, WW, some solder, and maybe a few pieces of babbit. Grand total, $242.00. I had to leave at least another 200lbs because I didn't have anything to put it in. I was also hauling a load of plywood, stain, and a bunch of hardware. Couldn't just throw it in.

With the tin I've got stashed that should make 8-10,000 BPCR bullets. My old stash of lead is near gone and it's scattered. When I get this home, the tester is going to get a work out. I don't know when I'll get to the chunk. It's time to restack and inventory.
Gus

R.M.
06-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Boy, ya know, some people can fall into an outhouse and come out smelling like a rose. Now, me, if I fell into an outhouse, I'd come out smelling like , ah, er, well, like an outhouse.

Good haul, congats.:drinks:

armoredman
06-28-2007, 03:38 PM
Oddly enough, the guy at the local range was complaing about removing a 7 pound chuck of bullets from thier shredded tire backstop...wonder if smelting that down would result in some interesting alloy? They have no interest or use...I am going down there in a few hours, too.

Cool junkyard story - anytime I get near a junkyard, the car I'm driving dies, so I stay away.

Gussy
06-28-2007, 05:29 PM
A side to the above story. The old gent has 30 acres. He lives in an old house on the property. He just sold 1.3 acres on one side for a new connecting road being put in, about $180,000.00. He told me the rest was worth over $5,000,000.00. He's 93 and still out in the yard working. The area surrounding the yard is new houses and a bit of farm land where the Walla Walla sweet onions are still being grown. I'm going to have to stop next trip down and get the rest of the lead. He did tell me a guy was trying to sell him another 4-500 lbs of pure lead but he wanted too much. Maybe he'll have that also when I stop.
Gus

Blammer
06-28-2007, 08:41 PM
dropped by an old tire store today, (never been there before) asked if they had any old WW's I could have.

They got the manager, a young dude about 28 or so.

Gave me all the WW's in the whole shop. Filled up 1 5 gallon bucket to the top.

:D

black44hawk
06-29-2007, 12:59 PM
I have tried bribing the fellas at the tire store with beer, money, etc. Some are obligated to "safely dispose" of the lead. What is that? Is this a result of corporate regulation or is the EPA sticking their big nose into it? Private garages seem to be more willing to barter.

buster
06-29-2007, 01:28 PM
Last fridays haul, one bucket free one bucket, one d/z dounuts. the last stop after 3 no;s three buckets 65 dollars. The guy had 6 or 7 more buckets but wanted 25 bucks apeice. talked him in to the 3 for 65, it was all the money i had.

Gussy
06-29-2007, 03:30 PM
buster, That's what I need now, WW. I'm almost out. Next trip I'll have to hit the tire stores too.
Gus

redbear705
06-30-2007, 09:36 PM
I stopped at a scrap yard last week...he wants .50 lb for it about a thousand pounds I guess but what I was interested in is the babbit they had there for $4 a pound....I think I am gonna have to get me some! :)

JR