PDA

View Full Version : Golfing for those 375 Guys

RobS
12-18-2012, 12:05 AM
Had a chance to play today and took with me my Savage 375 H&H. I was driving golf balls today from 100 yards away with the BRP 378-270. By the way there is currently a GB on going for this design and it's a good one; good job Bruce!!!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?157237-MiHec-375-H-amp-H-HP-GC-Boolit-2-or-4-Cavity-Brass-Cramer-or-Solid&highlight=375

Anyway after shooting two groups, one with IMR 4064 and the other with Varget, I became a bit bored. There were some golf balls left over on the berm from some person shooting at them with a 223 and then instead of paper groups I chose to go golfing instead. Needless to say a fun day at the range!!! Loads were 58 grains of IMR 4064 and 57 grains of Varget. I need to chrono the Varget loads but they were hitting nearly the same POI as the 4064 loads.

Tatume
12-18-2012, 09:35 AM
Golf balls really are a hoot to shoot!

RobS
12-18-2012, 09:43 AM
Golf balls really are a hoot to shoot!

They are........... however with the 375 I would only get one shot on a ball and it was gone. That was with the solid, I didn't even shoot the HP version of the design.

btroj
12-18-2012, 10:19 AM
I am in on that group buy. I look forward to what it will do.

I haven't shot many rounds with 4895 but have had some fun with 2400. 27 gr and a Lyman 265 gr, not sure which mould, shoots pretty well for me.

Need to get a scope on the CZ and really see what it can do.

Jack Stanley
12-18-2012, 08:59 PM
I did that once with the forty-four magnum ........ at only twenty-five yards though . The guy I was shooting with didn't think I could hit it using a one handed hold . truthfully ... it kinda surprised me too .

Jack

RobS
12-18-2012, 10:05 PM
I am in on that group buy. I look forward to what it will do.

I haven't shot many rounds with 4895 but have had some fun with 2400. 27 gr and a Lyman 265 gr, not sure which mould, shoots pretty well for me.

Need to get a scope on the CZ and really see what it can do.

A scope would do nicely on the CZ. I haven't heard of any that weren't good rifles. Needless to say I can't imagine shooting mine open sites much past 50 yards unless what I was shooting at was pretty good sized.

RobS
12-18-2012, 10:06 PM
I did that once with the forty-four magnum ........ at only twenty-five yards though . The guy I was shooting with didn't think I could hit it using a one handed hold . truthfully ... it kinda surprised me too .

Jack

Jack, that is darn good with a revolver; I would take it, especially one handed and all.

btroj
12-18-2012, 10:29 PM
I took it open sighted for deer this fall. Never had a shot. Most of my shots will be under 50 yards.
With a scope I would use it to 200 with no problems. Start a decent bullet around 2000 fps and it will do just fine well out there.

Johnch
12-19-2012, 04:15 AM
Never tryed it with a rifle

But I have played golf trap

That is
You use a shotgun to shoot a golf ball hit past you with a shotgun
And yes it was safe , as the guy hitting the golf ball was around the corner of a concrete bunker wall ( farm kids LOL)

Not going to say I hit , or any of us hit even close to 100%
Best I did was 7-10
A lot of the time .......err most of the time 50% was a great percentage

Yep
Bored farm kids with guns
Come up with intersting things to do LOL

John

RobS
12-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Never tryed it with a rifle

But I have played golf trap

That is
You use a shotgun to shoot a golf ball hit past you with a shotgun
And yes it was safe , as the guy hitting the golf ball was around the corner of a concrete bunker wall ( farm kids LOL)

Not going to say I hit , or any of us hit even close to 100%
Best I did was 7-10
A lot of the time .......err most of the time 50% was a great percentage

Yep
Bored farm kids with guns
Come up with intersting things to do LOL

John

I like it "Golf Trap"............not bad at all!

bigboredad
12-19-2012, 12:54 PM
I was really surprised the first time I hit a golf ball with my .45 colt. Not sure what I was expecting but I didn't expect the ball to be gone I mean gone gone. The second one I hit wasn't as good a hit as the first one so I was able to see it leave. It went a good distance up a hill then rolled back down to be shot again

Jack Stanley
12-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Thanks Rob , at the time I used that revolver in compitition . Had LOTS of practice .

Jack

BLTsandwedge
12-19-2012, 09:50 PM
The local hiking/horse trails here wander through the local golf courses. We've picked up thousands of balls (and donated most of them to local high schools). Those we keep get used or they go to the local shooting range. If you haven't tried shooting golf balls, its a kick. Just as in regular golf, it isn't the hardest hitting thing that gets the ball to go the farthest. A square hit with an H&G #50 at about 750fps will not actually penetrate the new(er) solid golf balls- sending them enormous distances because the ball gets all the energy and takes no damage save a slight .359" impression. Don't use your good, new Titleists- those you can send to me. This is a job for Top-Flites (aka Rock-Flites), MoJos, Noodles or any other sucky brand of ball you can find.

RobS
12-19-2012, 10:55 PM
The local hiking/horse trails here wander through the local golf courses. We've picked up thousands of balls (and donated most of them to local high schools). Those we keep get used or they go to the local shooting range. If you haven't tried shooting golf balls, its a kick. Just as in regular golf, it isn't the hardest hitting thing that gets the ball to go the farthest. A square hit with an H&G #50 at about 750fps will not actually penetrate the new(er) solid golf balls- sending them enormous distances because the ball gets all the energy and takes no damage save a slight .359" impression. Don't use your good, new Titleists- those you can send to me. This is a job for Top-Flites (aka Rock-Flites), MoJos, Noodles or any other sucky brand of ball you can find.

Heck I never thought about a slower moving boolit hitting the golf ball and then sending the ball down range. That would be pretty cool to see. My 375 boolits just made dust of them of course.

bigboredad
12-20-2012, 11:34 AM
give it a whirl with your .45's

RobS
12-20-2012, 07:17 PM
give it a whirl with your .45's

Good point, maybe a 345 grainer at 800 fps or so..........that should kick a golf ball in ars.

bigboredad
12-21-2012, 07:40 PM
when I hit them I was using my bullet that weight with 9gr of universal. if you hit them square you'll never see it leave or where it went