PDA

View Full Version : Any one know postal delivery laws?

toooldtocare
12-17-2012, 08:58 PM
I have filed numerous complaints against my local post office. My mail carrier refuses to deliver my packages to me. Saturday I was waiting in the driveway when she pulled up. I knew I had a perishable package coming. She pulls up and hands me my mail and a sorry we missed you slip. I ask her where my package is and she says she left it at the post office. She says my drive way is in too bad of shape to drive up it. I tell her I drive in and out every day. I ask why she doesnt just walk it to the front door. She replies that per regulation there not allowed to get out there truck.. Does anyone have any ideas? Any one know the rules or laws? I cant find **** through google.

starmac
12-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Sounds pretty bogus to me. Where is your mailbox?

toooldtocare
12-17-2012, 09:05 PM
At the end of my driveway. 135 feet from front of house. Now granted it is a lil rough and get a lil muddy. But this is bs. This is the third time. Last week my wife had to go pick up packages that they said they tried to deliver but no one was home.

blademasterii
12-17-2012, 09:06 PM
Sounds like you need to be looking for a managers phone number, not rules and regs. Tell him you were HANDED a sorry we missed you slip. You were obviously not missed. I don't think there is any reg about getting out of the truck. Mine gets out to leave me packages at my door if they don't fit in the mailbox.

toooldtocare
12-17-2012, 09:11 PM
Sounds like you need to be looking for a managers phone number, not rules and regs. Tell him you were HANDED a sorry we missed you slip. You were obviously not missed. I don't think there is any reg about getting out of the truck. Mine gets out to leave me packages at my door if they don't fit in the mailbox.

I will be there when they open. Its an pretty expensive item from ebay. The tracking number says it was processed at 805 am and delivered at 905 am. my mail doesn't pass till after 2 and there was no slip today. Wife was at post office today picking up package that they didn't deliver Saturday.

bayjoe
12-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Go to the post office and ask for the Post Master. If he is not located at the office they are required to tell you his name and where you can find him. Then you can file a complaint with him..

jonas302
12-17-2012, 09:27 PM
It is sure no regulation not to get out of the truck mine does it almost everyday if the driveway is really truly in such bad shape that I would get stuck or destroy my car I wouldn't walk up it either

HATCH
12-17-2012, 09:29 PM
At the end of my driveway. 135 feet from front of house. Now granted it is a lil rough and get a lil muddy. But this is bs..

You are within the distance that they are suppose to bring packages to your door but your driveway is unacceptable for delivery to your door.

You want them to bring packages to your door then make your driveway smooth.

I have a idea.
Put a door bell at the mail box. Tell them to ring it when you have a package and wait 5 mins.

Kraschenbirn
12-17-2012, 09:45 PM
I'm on a rural postal route and both the regular driver and the Saturday guy routinely put packages too large for the mailbox on my covered porch. As I understand their work rules, they're not allowed to open a door (like to put a package in the garage) but they're required to deliver large packages to your door. The only reason for a "sorry we missed" you is when a package or letter require someone to sign a receipt to verify delivery.

Bill

wv109323
12-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Another option would be to get a "supersized" mailbox. My brother has one 12" X 14" X 24". Most any package will fit in that. That way they can deliver in your box.

toooldtocare
12-17-2012, 10:08 PM
Ive been waiting 5 months for the local government to reset my culvert so i can fix driveway. Ant the huge mail box is a great idea!!

uscra112
12-17-2012, 10:14 PM
My delivery people do it 2-3 times a week. But they leave the packages on the seat of my truck, since the walk to the house is another 100 feet aqnd it's bit muddy this time of year. My friend in Idaho simply installed a very large mailbox. Like 18" wide by 24" high. Problem solved.

41 mag fan
12-17-2012, 10:35 PM
Both of my parents retired carriers, mother rural, step father in town.
First since the carrier wont deliver, complain to the post master, then go to district post master. Of course they will have to file a complaint with the postal union, and it'll take time, but one thing you can do, is make a complaint you're not getting your mail, I.E. birthday cards with money in them. That'll get a post masters attention faster than anything.
You can make your carriers life miserable, but then again she can yours too....mailbox height, drive conditions, ect ect.
But just for the record, they technically are supposed to attempt delivery, by honking their horn, ect. They dont have to get out of their vehicles due to liability reasons, but they have to attempt to deliver. Except I believe in cities this is exempt.
My mother used to deliver packages all the time, without a grumble.
I hope I got that correct, it's been 5 yrs since my mother retired, 10 yrs for my step dad.

leadman
12-17-2012, 10:45 PM
Some companies have a space on the order form for special delivery instructions. If you see this fill it out and see what happens. Our carrier stops his truck and gets out every 2 houses. Our mail boxes are on the houses. One carrier would even open the porch door and put packages inside.
The large mailbox sounds like a good idea for you.

Goatwhiskers
12-17-2012, 11:19 PM
Can't say exactly what regs the city carriers work under, but delivering an attempted delivery slip without bringing the parcel out is definitely not in order. Rural carriers are required to ATTEMPT delivery, including putting the parcel in a safe place protected from the weather. I used to put them on a porch or in a vehicle, then leave the slip in the box stating where the parcel is. You are required to bring the parcel out on the route. A couple of times in bad weather I would leave a perishable item (ex: fruit) at the office and bring a notification, but not often. Your carrier is dead wrong if she thinks she is not required to dismount to effect delivery. Some carriers don't understand that we are providing a service. The advice about filing a complaint with the PM, next with his or her supervisor is spot on, go high enough and the problem will be solved. GW

41 mag fan
12-17-2012, 11:33 PM
Thanks GW...my thinking was right then. Both of my parents were carriers for 35 and 33 yrs.
Mom used to go out of her way to deliver mail and packages. She did 130mi on gravel roads that whole time daily. She went out of her way and the farmers took care of her. Snowy days, they'd plow the roads in front of her making sure she could get thru, and with her being deaf, they made sure she was taken care of at every turn. Flat tire, onewould come running to change it.
One day she had a stroke while on the route, a farmer found her, put her in his truck, called the neighbor who was a farmer, he called the next neighbor. I think they were all Sniders, but anyways one went and got the post master, the other stayed with moms truck, so it was safe, while the other took mom to the hospital 30mi away and was trying to get ahold of my step dad.
Mail people take care of the people, and the people go out of their way to take care of the carrier.

reloader28
12-17-2012, 11:45 PM
My wife was a sub for a few months a couple years ago while the mail-lady had her baby.
Around here (in the country) they are required to attempt by honking, but are NOT required to leave the car.
If you have a dog running lose you'll be lucky if they even open the window.

jcwit
12-17-2012, 11:59 PM
My mail delivery gal happily comes to my door when I have meds "pain killers and sleeping meds" that need to be signed for, she's a very nice lady. Usually either myself or my wife try to meet her at the box or in the yard to save her time.

nvbirdman
12-18-2012, 01:58 AM
When you complain to the postmaster (or higher up), be sure to point out that when the company puts postage on the package they are paying for delivery of the package, not an attemped delivery notice.

farmallcrew
12-18-2012, 07:05 AM
My driveway is 1/4 mile long. And its flat until you get near the house hen it goes straight up a 15degree hill. The driveway is all stone. Everyone knows that you need to make a run for it to get urp the driveway(usps,ups,fedex,and family) When i get a big box of goodies by usps she drives up the hill and parkes by the garage, and walks the box or boxes to the front porch, prolly curseing the whole time (when i get alot of brass or projectile material. She drops at front door, rings door
bell, gets back in her red jep wrangler and goes down the rest of the road.

500MAG
12-18-2012, 07:11 AM
Mine does the same thing if the package weighs more than 10 pounds. She has the slip filled out before she even leaves the PO. Doesn't even put the package on the truck. Lead? forget it. I have considered putting out a few well placed roofing nails on Fridays. That'll make her day.

winelover
12-18-2012, 09:02 AM
Recently, I moved from Detroit to rural Arkansas and set up mail delivery. Carrier provided a form with my first mail delivery that had options on how/where you wanted packages delivered. Since I have a locked gate across my 100 yd. driveway, I opted for pick-up at Post Office when a package is too large for my mail box.

Since I am able to track packages sent through UPS or Fed-X, I just leave the gate open that day. Both, happily drive down and have even helped deliver large packages (60" TV) inside the house.

Winelover

375RUGER
12-18-2012, 10:56 AM
sounds like you're buying MFRBs of lead.
Have a gangbox for the business location where I ship everything too and she won't bring the lead.
The service from this PO is really bad.

lead-1
12-19-2012, 05:55 AM
My previous mail carrier had back surgery and I knew that, one day I ran across him after hours and he asked what I was getting, gold or what. I told him close, brass, and that he was more than welcome to leave it at the post office, give me a call or a note and I would come pick it up so they didn't have to lift it.
He said nope its my job and gets out of his car and drops it on the porch, my new carrier couldn't count his eyeballs and get the same number twice. One day he put my loose mail on top of a box so it could be blown over to the neighbors yard, when I said something to the post master he said get used to it, half the guys route has called in complaints.
Some people just don't care anymore.

Goatwhiskers
12-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Apparently some PM's and carriers don't know or don't care about postal regulations and SERVICE. Rural carriers are required to deviate up to 1/2 mile one way to deliver secure items or items that won't fit in the box. Also they are required to lift and deliver items up to 70 pounds. I was a Rural Carrier trainer for 5 years, a carrier for 23, still would be if not for health problems, it's the greatest job in the world. When my PM was in a bad mood I'd just case the mail faster and get on out on the road where it's peaceful and quiet. GW

lead-1
12-19-2012, 04:54 PM
LOL, since we're still on the subject, I had eight pieces of mail delivered to me today that belong about two miles away and on a totally different road. I would like to re-train this guy, I think he needs it.

firefly1957
12-19-2012, 10:28 PM
Around 2001 i started having trouble with my mail man my mail was in other peoples boxes, their mail in mine, several checks vanished but were never cashed. So i complained to the post master no change so i complained to Washington post master general nothing done about the postman but the computer that sorts the mail had my address programmed out so i quit getting mail several times! The delivery supervisor even told me nothing would happen as the carrier was a "good friend" but when he figured out why my mail kept stopping he was ticked but i was never allowed to know what occurred. On one day i was third in line with the same complaint! Needless to say i was glad when i moved no problems here at all. They did move the carrier to another route the local paper started getting letters complaining right away all on the guys new route. I got my neighbors medicine a dozen times and bank statements from other zip codes on a couple occasions. After the top investigator told me anything put in my box was mine I started opening the bank statements and calling the banks telling them were they were delivered and that that account is not secure non of them said they would complain but a month later the mailman was moved that is when my address was removed from the computer.

Blammer
12-19-2012, 10:43 PM
ask the post master if they are required to follow "congressionals" see if that doesn't light their fire. :)

starmac
12-21-2012, 07:52 PM
Where I live , we have locked boxes and a large lock box when we get a package that won't fit in the regular box. This is at the end of driveway and for the whole complex.
I have been upstairs and never heard a knock, and they have opened the door and set packages in the office. sometimes I just have a note in the box. But today I heard a knock at the door, and just hollared come in as I hate making someone stand out in the cold until I can get to the door, but the door didn't open. I opened it and the mailman had both hands full with a very large box, standing there in -44 degrees, So I just have to say that some mail carriers go way out of their way to get the job done.

Taylor
12-22-2012, 08:28 AM
Let me try here,I have been a rural carrier now for 22 years.I think she is full of it,and she could do a better job.If a driveway is more than a mile,(1/2 in 1/2 out),we don't go.We are not allowed to open gates.She is required to dismount for anything that requires a signature or a package that will not fit the box.If I can get it in the Jeep,it will get delivered!! I have been dog bit 2X,there will not be a third.Here is how I do it,always blow horn,it alerts the dogs and I don't get ambushed,ring bell,knock,ring bell,knock.After all that,and you don't come to the door,you get a notice,provided I need a signature,if not I just leave it on the porch anyway.If they are dogs around and are not friendly to me,I lay on the horn and wait for you,but I ain't getting out,until you show. The max weight is 70 lbs,age or gender do not apply.
I know I jumped around a bit with that,but in her defense,I remember my very first paycheck,it went to replace the whole exhaust on my vehicle,after being torn out delivering a package to some folks.What does she drive? Now I have a Cherokee.I drive through a creek in one area if they get packages,couldn't do that in a car.

Now this time of year,I can not speak for other places,but this year is the heaviest I have ever seen.I cannot get all the packges in my vehicle,and have had to just leave notices,in hopes that some of the folks will help out and understand.I explain were I can,my situation,most do understand.The P O where I work will not give me help.So I do what I can.I know it makes me look bad,I will just have to live with it.

But she is still full of it,and could do better by you.The Agreement between the U S Postal Service and The National Rural Carriers Association (union by laws) and the P O 603 (duties and responsibilities of the rural carrier) dictate what and how we do things.She could do better.

Don't waste your time with the 1 800 number,go on line and file a complaint or go see the station manager.The station manager may not be the post master.

Chain of Command:bottom to top (locally) a. delivery supervisor b. station manager c. post master,then his boss. In reality,depending on the size of the office,they could all be the same person.Regardless,he still has a upper level boss!

The carrier still has to dismount!

toooldtocare
12-24-2012, 01:42 PM
Thanks Guys. I now have an Attorney involved free of charge.

TRX
12-25-2012, 05:24 AM
they leave the packages on the seat of my truck

Mine does that, and locks the door so that the local lowlifes don't make off with my packages. I thought it was a darned nice thing to do.