PDA

View Full Version : Leasing hunting!

Freightman
12-17-2012, 04:05 PM
I just received a Christmas card from a cousin who I haven't seen in years, she has about 500 acres of good hunting land with deer and hogs. She said she was going to lease it out for hunting and ask if I knew any one who would be interested, the going rate is $5 per acre there but she said for me it would be a flat $500. I do not have the funds right now but will call her tonight and see if she will give me till the end of January. Wish me luck as the deer are thick as ticks there.

alrighty
12-17-2012, 04:14 PM
Good Luck! Sounds like a heck of a deal.

Blammer
12-17-2012, 04:49 PM
sweet! If you were closer I'd go in with you on it. :)

madsenshooter
12-17-2012, 05:05 PM
Thick as ticks. I had to do some walking in a reclaimed strip mine here in SE Ohio this summer. Nice fields now with waist high growth that is frequented by turkeys and the things that hunt them. In about a 1/4 mile walk I picked no less than two dozen ticks off me. Leasing land to hunt on, that's a strange concept to someone who lives in the middle of a 6000 acre public hunting area. But I've been in areas where there isn't much public land. It's so odd to me to not even have a place to pull over when out on a county road. That's enough rambling....

Freightman
12-17-2012, 07:01 PM
Well called her and the deal is done and the end of January is fine. More land than I thought 2 sections, one in one place, and one about eight miles away. My son and I are going to split and that way son's and grandchildren will have a good place to hunt. I counted around fifty does and fawns in one valley about three years ago, but she stocked it with cattle and stopped the hunting.
Not much public land in Texas, and what there is is dangerous as more rifles than game and they shoot at any movement.

runfiverun
12-17-2012, 11:06 PM
a section is 4-40 acre parcels, so 160 acres..
big enough to hunt on.
i have seen leases go from 20 to 35 dollars an acre.
amazing, leasing property to hunt on.
i passed on buying property for 200 an acre that was definatly huntable land, because i could drive another mile up the road and hunt all i wanted.

oneokie
12-17-2012, 11:24 PM
a section is 4-40 acre parcels, so 160 acres..
big enough to hunt on.
i have seen leases go from 20 to 35 dollars an acre.
amazing, leasing property to hunt on.
i passed on buying property for 200 an acre that was definatly huntable land, because i could drive another mile up the road and hunt all i wanted.

A section is 640 acres, 4 - 160 acre "quarters", 16 - 40 acre blocks.

runfiverun
12-18-2012, 01:04 AM
yep nolan you are right.
i dunno how i got section and quarter messed up.
thankx.

Goatwhiskers
12-18-2012, 03:35 PM
Good for you Freightman! When I read this I was just about to front you the cash for the privelege of once a year. Your family will really enjoy this. GW

Freightman
12-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the thought Goat, many do not understand Texas, we didn't give the US government our public land when we became a state, the state sold it to private individuals for operating money. Thus there is very little public hunting land and the lawyers and doctors have scooped up most of the good land for very high lease rates. Some down around DFW is very high and it is getting to where in the panhandle it is prohibitive.

Goatwhiskers
12-18-2012, 06:02 PM
Yeah, I know, spent a deal of time in the great state, wish I could move back. Daughter lives near Temple but not so good hunting as far as I know. GW

pls1911
12-19-2012, 12:09 AM
$500 for 1280 juicy acres?
Even in Amarillo that's a great price.
You could get that for a weekend hunt for a hosted day hunt for a Dallas city guy with a no kill-no pay arrangement.

Freightman
12-19-2012, 02:33 PM
I looked at a guided deer hunt in Hall co. ranged from $1500/$2500

EMC45
12-19-2012, 03:00 PM
That is OUTSTANDING! I have seen "clubs" here in GA that go 1K for 100 acres and then they have a list as long as you arm of rules and all kinds of other ludicrous things.

RU shooter
12-19-2012, 04:56 PM
WOW, I had no idea how much its is to go hunt other places in the country. With having to pay a lease and then the cost of license the price per pound of venison or wild pork is VERY expensive. I guess Ive been spoiled and sheltered hunting all my life in Pa. with its many areas of public land . And here I was griping about a 20 dollar license and an extra 5 for a doe tag .Never again

winelover
12-19-2012, 06:00 PM
I leased 80 acres in mid-Michigan for nearly twenty five years. Was basically paying the property taxes. When I gave the lease up in 2010, I was paying $600. However, I used the land year round, not only during hunting season. Always brought home venison, sometimes I gave the excess away.

Plenty of public land in Michigan but I refuse to hunt with the crazies that shoot anything that moves. All the years I hunted there, I never saw another hunter. The wife and I had all the benefits without the hassles of ownership. When we decided to retire and relocate to Arkansas, it wasn't contingent on selling land we would have owned in Michigan.

Since we have no intention of moving again, we bought enough acreage to live on, hunt and have our own shooting range. Living the American dream, until the guberment decides to disarm us, that is!:groner:

Winelover:lovebooli

Freightman
12-19-2012, 07:05 PM
They will have to "disarm" me literary as I am to old to change been free for 73+ years and do not intend to change. My ancestors fought in the revolutionary army and went on to fight at San Jacinto with Huston, so not for me live free or die.
the phrase OMCDH comes to mind.

MT Chambers
12-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Okay, I have a question, can that be hunted all year for pigs and deer or are there seasons for both, how long are the seasons?(approx.)

Hamish
12-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Could not have happened to a nice guy Freight.

tonyjones
12-19-2012, 10:29 PM
In Texas deer are a game animal and their take is regulated. Generally, the conventional firearm season runs from early November into January. There are early archery and M/L seasons. Bag limits vary by county with some counties having very generous limits. In addition to white tail, mule deer are available in some (a few) counties. Feral hogs are not a game animal and are not protected. Exotics such as axis, fallow, auodad, mufflon, etc. are also not protected. One does, IIRC, need a hunting license and land owner permission (written in 2 counties) to legally hunt. I hope this helps.

Regards,

Tony
Houston,
TX

Crawdaddy
12-19-2012, 10:49 PM
Deleted... Should've read the whole thread first.