PDA

View Full Version : Bevel Based Boolits, what is wrong with them, why are they dis-liked??

azrednek
12-17-2012, 01:05 PM
There doesn't seem to be a large variety of bevel based molds available. I've read numerous remarks in this forum about having a bevel based mold milled flat. I have also seen many remarks and I'm paraphrasing. "I don't like bevel base" in boolit discussions.

What is wrong with bevel base boolits and why don't you like them? I can honestly say I have not seen or noticed any improvement on paper targets with bevel base but they are indeed much easier to work with on the loading bench. The biggest advantage in my mind is bevel based casting. I know my remark is somewhat of an exaggeration but they seem to almost jump out of a mold after solidifying.

felix
12-17-2012, 01:21 PM
Nothing is wrong with them provided they grip the lands per the groove design of the barrel. Typically, no problems with hard surfaced bullets. ... felix

376Steyr
12-17-2012, 01:35 PM
I dislike them solely because they make inspection of cooled bullets for improper fill-out more difficult. A rounded edge on a plain base is a sign that something went wrong and it should be culled. A rounded edge on a bevel base is much harder to spot.

DeanWinchester
12-17-2012, 01:38 PM
They are hell to pan lube, that's why I hate them.

Baja_Traveler
12-17-2012, 01:49 PM
My lubrisizer also puts a ring of lube on that bevel. Too much of a hassle, so I avoid them.

mdi
12-17-2012, 01:58 PM
In addition to the lube problems above, some shooters believe the bevel based bullets will lead the barrel easier than a flat base (bevel base not sealing the base allowing hot gases to get passed base and melt sides/portion of bevel and depositing lead). I pan lube and tumble lub most of my bullets and a bevel base just adds to the mess...

rsrocket1
12-17-2012, 02:00 PM
For a novice reloader they are great. They sit nicely on a flared case and don't need to be guided all the way up into the die. They are not good for folks who want to gas check their bullets with crimp on GC's. Just about all the non-"C" prefixed Lee moulds are bevel base (especially the handgun bullet moulds).

To me, it is almost 100% certain that I will get a rounded edge on the base of the bullet if I don't have a very generous glob of lead on the sprue plate and almost a 100% chance of a sharp base edge if I do. I typically have a 3/4 to 1 inch bar of continuous lead across all 6 holes on my sprue plate when I cast and the edges are always sharp. I run into problems when the flow is too slow and I stop it too soon on the 6th hole where the lead only fills the sprue cavity cone. Drop the bullet and it usually has a rounded edge.

44man
12-17-2012, 03:10 PM
I never had a problem casting them. I had poor results and removing it cut groups in half or more.
Leading was not an issue.
The only idea I had was it shortened the drive length for a match to the twist with the boolit length.
I had the same by leaving a GC off one boolit. They went through sideways at 50 yards but with a GC I could hit a penny at 100.
There MIGHT be other reasons like no base band wide enough to halt skid and rifling marks are too wide but that will cause leading that I never had so it is up in the air.
My thoughts relate to twist and stability and another boolit design might shoot great even with BB.
There is just no reason for a BB to aid loading. It is always how it shoots.

ShooterAZ
12-17-2012, 03:20 PM
I have the RCBS 45cal 200 SWC Bevel Base. The only problem really is lubing, but not a huge deal. I just wipe the bases off on an old towel. Leading is not an issue. I have a S&W 625 that loves this boolit, so I cast and load it quite often.

Le Loup Solitaire
12-17-2012, 08:33 PM
Wayne Gibbs, co-founder of H&G, who knew a few things about making bullet molds stated in one of his catalogs that there was an ongoing controversy about the pros and cons of bevel based bullets; that there were many proponents and opponents of the design. He produced quite a few of them. I have a couple of different molds that cast them and my own personal experience is that there is nothing wrong with them in the accuracy department. They have a ring of lube around the base when using a lubrisizer; the lube has to be removed or prevented from happening in order to not contaminate the powder. Its a PITA. Due to the bevel the bullet starts easier in the case. And that's pretty much it. If the design works for you..like in good groups and scores- that is great. If not...like in any other problem that makes you unhappy, then get a different design. LLS

geargnasher
12-17-2012, 09:28 PM
Any base design/execution that exits the muzzle crown squarely each and every time is just fine. If you can execute that with a BB, be my guest. I've always had difficulty with that. I've shot identical designs with a) the bb reamed out (longer bearing) and b) with the mould milled off and couldn't tell the difference other than long-range accuracy was always better with a square butt.

If you shoot at 25 yards or less you likely won't be able to tell the difference and will be inclined to argue that it doesn't matter either way.

Gear

44man
12-18-2012, 09:09 AM
Any base design/execution that exits the muzzle crown squarely each and every time is just fine. If you can execute that with a BB, be my guest. I've always had difficulty with that. I've shot identical designs with a) the bb reamed out (longer bearing) and b) with the mould milled off and couldn't tell the difference other than long-range accuracy was always better with a square butt.

If you shoot at 25 yards or less you likely won't be able to tell the difference and will be inclined to argue that it doesn't matter either way.

Gear
Some good thoughts and it was longer ranges that were the problem. I still lean towards engraving area and a little longer BB boolit for the twist should correct it.
I think of the BB like a boat tail in most rifles. They are not needed in a rifle until range is very long so you get subsonic stability, however I have found extreme accuracy from many at closer ranges. It always seemed to depend on bullet weight chosen. Something like a 150 gr BT not as good as a FB and going to a 165 BT worked. It has gone the other way too depending on the rifle and brand of bullet.
It is just something to test in your own gun. Seems to be one of those 50-50 things.

RobsTV
12-18-2012, 10:07 AM
They are hell to pan lube, that's why I hate them.

The trick that solved this for me was to only push the cutter past the lube groove, not all the way down. All come out clean now, with no lube on the beveled base. (Carnuaba Red).

bobthenailer
12-18-2012, 11:11 AM
IMO i have alot of BB bullet moulds and have been able to get excellent accuracy with them in a alot of firearms , even excellent results using GC bullets without GC installed in several moulds & firearms , but the load was worked up without GC installed not working it up with GC and just leaving off the GC.

williamwaco
12-21-2012, 11:30 PM
I find no difference except for the abominable lube ring around the bevel when sizing in a lubrisizer. I hate that ring because it is messy but I ignore it. and just load them.
I avoid it nowadays by tumble lubing.

I have carefully testd them for accuracy with identical bullets one with and one without the bevel.

You can see the results here:

http://reloadingtips.com/pages/exp_bb-vs-pb-accuracy.htm

DLCTEX
12-22-2012, 01:12 PM
I don't like the lube mess, so I remove the BB if I can't get a mould without it.

Dave C.
12-22-2012, 01:27 PM
I use a Star sizer so no problem with lube. I cast with an eight cavity H&G mold and have about 97% good boolits and i am fussy.
My Clark Long Heavy Slide will group under two inches at 50 yards and thats a 10 shot group, all this using evil bevel base boolits.
Do plain base boolits shoot good? Absolutely! The difference is the gun, caster, reloader and shooter.

Dave C.

303Guy
12-22-2012, 03:31 PM
I understand the lube sitting in the bevel but surely not all lubes will contaminate the powder? I have a lube that has to be melted and I use this to put a lube 'cup' on the base of bevel base jacketed bullets (semi-boat tail, actually) by dipping them in the melt. Excess gets shave off by the case neck. It prevents copper fouling and they shoot very accurately from my rusty bore Brit.

So why should a bevel base cast boolit not be treated the same way? Perhaps I should try it and answer my own question.

Hang Fire
12-23-2012, 01:06 AM
I like bevel base boolits for my C&B revolvers, otherwise, not so much.