PDA

View Full Version : Alloy suggestions for MP 434640 HP

bcr
12-16-2012, 10:33 PM
I'm hoping to try out my new MP 434640 PB HP in the next couple of weeks. This will be the first time I've attempted to cast hollowpoints. I will try them in my .44 Special Smith or my .44 Mag rifle.

I have clip on wheel weights, stick on wheel weights, and a couple pounds of pure tin. Does anyone have alloy suggestions for good expansion of these boolits? Does it make a difference if they are for .44 Spl or Mag?

cbrick
12-17-2012, 10:45 AM
Your going to love that mold. :mrgreen:

For HP in the spl a 50/50 + up to 2% tin mix of the clip-on and stick-on should work great. Even straight stick-ons +2% Sn.

That may or may not be a little to soft in the mag, depends on how hard you push them. Straight air cooled clip-on weights with a little tin should be ok. I wouldn't quench them with the HP though if expansion is the goal, they would probably just come apart.

Most of my handgun HP boolits I use either straight stick-ons +2% Sn or the 50/50 mix. IF the boolit is a good fit in your firearm leading shouldn't be a problem. For rifle HP's mostly clip-on +2% Sn.

Which ever you settle on the Sn is beneficial in making a ductile boolit.

Hope this helps a little.

Rick

captaint
12-17-2012, 10:55 AM
bcr - What matters most in your case is what matters most in all cases. Size. The ideal route to take is to slug your bores (the Smith is more difficult due to the # of grooves) and see what size boolits you're gonna need. Any MP mold I have had will cast boolits of appropriate diameter. Plus one. If you're gonna size them, your bores will tell you what size die you'll need. I, personally, usually go .001 to .002 over groove diameter. Again, I would normally use an alloy of approx 50% WW's and 50% softer lead (stick ons). But then, I don't shoot a lot of higher velocity ammo. If you're gonna load them up near the roof, you may want to use straight WW's. Some good lube and you're ready to go. Also, when I say the Smith is harder to slug - it's not harder to slug, per se, it's harder to read the slug with mic's. Let us know how it all works out. We love to hear success stories - and pictures. enjoy Mike

rintinglen
12-17-2012, 10:38 PM
You will love this mold. Once up to temperature, and it needs to run pretty hot, it will make boolits out of whatever you put in it. It is not at all tempermental. I have used clip on WW's, 30-1, 50/50 pure/ww, and reclaimed range lead, all with 1-2 % tin added, and it made no difference when it came to casting. The 30-1 is going to be reserved for 44 Special stuff, th rest will go down whatever barrel it pleases me.

bcr
12-17-2012, 11:03 PM
Thanks guys! This is my third MP mold and I am sure I will enjoy it.

In terms of the Smith, I slugged the cylinders because I was under the impression that the way to go was to size to cylinder throats. However, I suppose I should attempt to slug the barrel and make sure it's not bigger than cylinder throats. I also don't intend to push these loads too much because I think this is one of the nicest guns I've ever owned and I don't want to beat on it. Also, if I can get the 250 gr boolit going 850-900 fps, I think that will be plenty for self defense.

I'm glad to hear that 50/50 +2% tin works well because I usually use 50/50 with no tin added, so that will be easy.