PDA

View Full Version : How satisfied are you with your group buy mould purchases?

45nut
06-27-2007, 10:37 PM
This is an open ended satisfaction question to gauge how happy CB members are with their Lee moulds. It's a subjective question for your own interpretation of quality, price and service?

waksupi
06-27-2007, 11:47 PM
I won't put a quantitive number on it. I have had a few good ones. However, the level of quality has been steadily falling.Too many have to be sent back. They obviously don't give a damn about quality, or this just plain would not happen. They must not need the extra $100,000 plus this board generates each year.
I have not participated in many of the recent buys, because I don't like the hassle of dealing with half-assed quality.
Solution? Look into other companies, for doing the production for us. There are several makers here in the states, and CBE in Australia that comes to mind. I would rather pay another $30-40 for a mold that is correct, than stand the whims and misfortunes of dealing with Lee.
The only real reason I see that we were getting mainly 6 cavity molds, was because thier quality was somewhat higher than the one and two cavity molds. They have managed to bring the quality of the six bangers down to that of the lesser cavity molds, or lower.
For a mold like WE want, at our specs, as I say, I will pay more. And, I can certainly live with a 2 cavity, or even one cavity mold for rifle, although I do like six bangers for pistol bullets. But, if I am being delivered trash, I would as soon take a bit more time, for the correct bullet.

MT Gianni
06-27-2007, 11:54 PM
I have had some good and some fair. I would prefer better quality than Lee is putting out so I have stayed away from most. Winners are 311407 copy and the original BD 45.

pumpguy
06-27-2007, 11:56 PM
I have participated in only a couple of group buys. These are the only Lees in my collection. I just have to say that the quality is not there. I only buy ones that are unique in design or application. I also would be willing to spend more for a higher quality 2 or 4 cavity mold.

9.3X62AL
06-28-2007, 12:13 AM
I only have 3 of the GB molds, all are decent--but nowhere near NEI or MM. They are better than the 1- and 2-banger Lees, which I view as consumables.

NVcurmudgeon
06-28-2007, 12:35 AM
I have only one group buy mould, the Buckshot designed 8mm. This boolit has about the length and ballistic coefficient of the V-2 rocket. It has been very accurate for me in a variety of 8 X 57 milsurps. I attempted to participate in another group buy for a different caliber boolit, but after much wrangling, the group decided to drop the boolit I was interested in. They went on arguing about a boolit of a caliber I don't own, so I lost interest. I use my Lee/Buckshot very sparingly and carefully as I am very aware that it is a Lee. So far, so good.

While I am skeptical of group buy moulds, because of previous experience, let me add that the Gator check GBs have been 100 % satisfactory and a pleasure to participate in.

Blammer
06-28-2007, 12:36 AM
I'll let youknow when I get it... :D

carpetman
06-28-2007, 01:27 AM
The survey is skewed the least satisfied you can vote is 25%----I am zero satisfied with my heavy 17 cal mold. It has not one good quality. How could I be 25% satisfied with that? Custom made mold? Like a custom made to someone elses foot pair of Acme boots. For those that don't know Acme boots are junk.

45nut
06-28-2007, 01:34 AM
I left out 0% on purpose knowing full well those people would speak up and be heard anyway.
I needed the feedback ,,,,thanks

dubber123
06-28-2007, 02:36 AM
I am in on about 6 of these, and haven't received any yet. Seeing all the troubles others are having doesn't exactly instill me with alot of confidence in them coming in right. I am still hoping for the best, but if Lee doesn't show more interest in producing a reasonably good quality mold, I can't justify buying any more. There are 2 or 3 I would have gotten in on, but the horror stories have scared me away. For the money I don't expect an LBT, but I don't expect something made with a Black and Decker either. I would also pay a little more for a higher quality 3 or 4 cavity, or lesser cavities if the design was truly unique.

warf73
06-28-2007, 05:23 AM
I only have one mold so far and probly 5 more on the (can't remember how many) way. The one I do have isn't dropping bullets still, only one hole drops the bullet the other 5 are still stick after doing the mold laping 3x so far. I haven't got a chance to do it again but if it won't work this time I'll sell it on Ebay.

Warf

Onlymenotu
06-28-2007, 06:11 AM
UMM can't say I'm in on one or two * if the second one makes it at the moment but havent recieve or used any of the gb/6 cav molds but i've used the cav LEE molds and with a Little Leementing they'll drop good boolits... but at this time I've yet to use the 6 cav...... as for Quality I think your talking Apples & Oranges The quality Of the Mold I would say is fine It's not Iron or Brass you get what you pay for so it may not be as Rugged/Durable as the others... but lets face it guys you paying as mutch/ more for a 2 cav mold from the other maker ....... where the Quality issue is in the workmanship or lack there of in not holding the tol the 50-60 dollar for the Quality of the 6 cav mold in material is a good/desent value...... IT SEEMS TO BE THE LACK OF WORKMANSHIP/ WORK ETHIC'S and I see it all the time,, even in the company I work for,,,,it's not that we don't want to produce a good quality part for the price....It's the mangment,,,,, that say pass that crap out the door,,, even after complain of the quality/workmanship of the product.

* oh yea did not vote as I have got to use one *yet*

imashooter2
06-28-2007, 06:25 AM
I have the 311440 clone and I've used a C358-180RF borrowed from another member. No complaints on either mold.

Bass Ackward
06-28-2007, 06:45 AM
Standard designs are OK. I have a 358-158RF that is correct with the 2 cavity I had from years back.

Lee's failure to deliver on what is specified is what lost me.

357maximum
06-28-2007, 07:06 AM
I feel great about the first GB 6 cavities I recieved, and have made alot of great boolits with the first few 6-7 molds. Lately however they do not give a flying rat turd what they ship and the have left me a little sour on them. My personal view is unless lee puts the "CUSTOM" back into the lee custom part, I am basically done with them. I would rather have a twin cav from nei,rcbs, MM, saeco or some other place that actually seems to give a flying **** what they make and are willing to try to do it right. Lee seems to have given up the fight.

I have a few molds outstanding delivery yet, and them molds will totally decide my future with their "CUSTOM" services. I stand now about 50% satisfied, but I can see over the edge of the cliff that leads to never again, and other options to seek.

Likely lee has done what the rest of the countries bigger companies have done, and now they have a brilliantly book smart / totally inexperienced kid building the molds for 6 bucks an hour and all the good experienced help has gone home either through retirement or simply got pissed and left when they got tired of all the corporate bullsh!te.

I do firmly believe my honcho'ing days are over, I refuse to work without the proper tools, and lee is of little help lately. I personally feel that if the 312-150 or the 358627 come in all assed up I may just send the whole shebang back and tell them to stick it up their *** and issue refunds/eat a little shipping, and call it a day....what lee is doing is simple bouge, and totally uncalled for........I can see the end of this road and it has a big yeller sign reading dead end.

SharpsShooter
06-28-2007, 07:08 AM
I consider myself fortunate. I have 3 or 4 6 bangers and have used several others that belong to a friend. All worked very well. I also did one group buy for an 8mm boolit and have heard no complaints from the participants and the boolits were well within spec on the sample mould. On the flip side of the coin, I haven't heard how well it is working for them either.

I honestly believe it is somewhat of a crapshoot with Lee mould quality. You pays your money and takes your chances......

The idea of approaching another manufacturer who IS concerned about quality and customer satisfaction is certainly the correct path. You would just have to convince your group buy participants that the extra bucks are really going to make the difference. I would be an easy sell. Using a good tool of any type is far easier and enjoyable than using something that gives you fits.

SS

Lloyd Smale
06-28-2007, 07:14 AM
for the most part ive been happy. There 6 cavity lees and i go into it understanding that they have there limitations but for 60 bucks what do your expect! I dont have the anal attitude about bullet size that alot of guys do or perfection in cavitys matching but i shoot handguns and its not that much of a consern with them. That is more a problem for the rifle guys. Problem with them is the same problem with any mold. Theres no guarantee that the design will be a good one. YOu can put all the knowlege in the world into a bullet design and it can still be a dud and to the credit of the bullet designers here I know that lee likes to put there little hands into it and slightly change what the design are. It happened recently with the 32 group buy and they ruined what would have been an excellent little bullet by trying to out think the designer. I think of it this way if you want a precision mold go to ballistic cast and pay 200 bucks for a 4 cavity mold if your buying a lee understand that its a lee and the fact that its a group buy mold isnt buying any higher of a level of quality control then the ones that are sold over the counter. Just a better bullet design then the idiotic ones theyve designed themselves.

06-28-2007, 07:46 AM
I'm with waksupi on this one. I have some one & two holers that give good boolits and I don't mnd using them at all. I'm waiting on a GB 6 banger and have never used one of those before. If it's substandard I'll be beyond displeased. I don't have enough time in my life to waste any of it. The time I do manage to get out and cast is far too short as it is (kind of my motivation for seeking a 6 banger), so if the, as yet to be delivered, Lee 6 bangers are of poor quality, I would vote to return them and recoop what monies possible. Why trade with slipshod outfit?

JSH
06-28-2007, 08:25 AM
The more I play with CB's the more anal I get. I expect no less from them than a FLGC in accuracy, that is if a FLGC realy has anything over on a CB. I have one Lyman 4C that saw some pretty rough use in it's former life. I bought if from a gent that had cleaned it up and got it back in A1 condition. I used it for over a year without a hitch. I then loaned it out and was some what peeved when I got it back. I have got it straightened out since then. The number one thing I was told on the LEE moulds when I jumped into this was, "if you can hear the halves closing, you are closing them wrong or to hard". IMHO that applies to all moulds.
I was not a Lee fan to begin with, so the first GB I got in on I was not expecting much. When it finally did show up I was pretty happy with it. Then after a couple of more of them, my thoughts of them went back to the original, ya get what ya pay for, cry once if you will.
I am of the same line of thoughts as to what my time is worth. If using a 6C and only 2-3 drop as you desire, why waste the time on the culls. I have pretty much made up my mind that a good set of iron blocks is hard to beat when it comes to consistant pills. I myself would not have a problem of paying a bit more for a 3-4C mould, as long as the maker can get it right the first time.
A just for instance, the 30 cal large lube groove PB GB. Maybe it is maybe it isn't what we ordered. Quality control should have checked visually before the things left. Is the nose buggered up or is it an alignment bushing problem? If the nose is not quite right it should still shoot, comment pretty much turned me off, but there is still some mould designs I want that are not available for the most part. I think that is why most of us go the route, not because of the 6C but because they are hard to find or non exsitant.

One other note. I just hate this but see it more and more around here every day it seems. Phrases somthing to the effect of, " I don't care for the 6C moulds but do prefer them for pistol or handgun loads". Maybe I am more anal than I thought? I have several calibers in handguns that will out shoot most rifles, as I know others here do as well.

I am open to options on a mould that will drop more than 2 as long as they come in closer to spec's.
Thanks Ken,lol.
Jeff

targetshootr
06-28-2007, 08:40 AM
The only one I sent back so far was the 421429 because they were so large they were getting jammed in the Star. The others seem to be doing fine but I'm not a stickler. If they will size properly, I'm good to go and since I only use them in wheelguns, no way would I ever buy a 2 cavity.

4060MAY
06-28-2007, 09:02 AM
I have the soupcan, plainbase 115gr, fatter 30, nujudge fatter 30, and the 375/384 GC, which is now a plainbase on 4 cavities.

Casting has been no problem after leementing and installing a set screw on the sprue pivot bolt.

both fatter 30's make my M/N 91/30 and No.4 SMLE shootable, just so happens these molds are the only game in town.

My friend was going to sell his 91/30 after 2' groups, give him some fatter 30's sized at .316, he shot 8 pigs out of 10 at 300M last match, issue sights

monadnock#5
06-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Too soon to tell. My fatter .30 dropped finned boolits, and on close inspection I found the mold halves weren't closing completely. I put the halves together in a vise, and gave 'em a good crunch. I'll try to give it a go tomorrow, and report back.

kywoodwrkr
06-28-2007, 11:59 AM
I'd echo what waksupi stated plus add I'm going to try the double cavity moulds to see how they work now.
Lee is becoming very independent and it appears fairly unreliable on their production information, as it pertains to date and time to completion.
I think they may be moving smaller orders in to garner the additional $ from setup costs.
I think a 2 month slip in production is an example of an out of control production invironment.
But I worked in a more controlled situation so who knows.
Early Lee quality does seem better than todays Lee standards.
Thanks for the question also.
DaveP kywoodwrkr

Springfield
06-28-2007, 01:16 PM
ALL my Lee moulds are custom GB moulds,and I have about 9 different ones.(44 MAV, 45 PRS, 45-70, 38 special Snakebite, 38-40, EPP-UG, DD-ROA, J/P 200, and the 314-120, 45 AUTO and 44 -250 3 crimp groove mould from here) My worst prolem is when they cut them too small. Partially that is my fault as I use very soft lead and cast hot, so they are smaller than some other peoples would be. And yes, they tend to be .002 out of round, but sizing usually takes care of that. And the pivot pins ALWAYS loosen up, but I have found that replacing them and putting in a set screw fixes that nicely. I had a bunch of Lyman 4 cavity moulds, and I have replaced every one with a LEE. I cast in volume, and the 4 cav steel moulds are MUCH heavier than a 6 cav LEE. Makes a difference when you cast 3000 at a time. I do mostly BP cowboy loads, so perfection in a bullet is not necessary. When I want a perfect BPCR bullet I use a single cavity. And yes, the steel moulds are probably more accurate, and more difficult to damage. But I have over 30,000 bullets through my 44-40 and 45 Colt LEE moulds and they still work fine. You just have to be careful with them. At least they don't rust. I am currently waiting on the 30 cal with one large lube groove, WARF's 454190, the 45 collar button and my own GB for the Big Lube Slim44. I don't expect any problems I can't work through. At least when they are really wrong LEE will re-cut them. And so far, in spite of some of your guys complaints, I haven't heard of anyone else doing what LEE does. No one else does a 6 cavity. And Mountain Molds, for one, won't even THINK of doing a Big Lube(tm) design. So, for me, LEE is the only game in town. Let's hope they don't let me down on the next 4 sets of moulds I am buying. I have some other designs in the wings i would like to get done.

Maven
06-28-2007, 02:02 PM
Not enough info. to draw a conclusion from or vote. I.e, I have the 6.5mm "Kurtz" group buy mold and am awaiting David R's .30cal PB-TL design. The 6.5 mold needed a little "Leementing," but it now casts beautiful, accurate bullets. Frankly, Lee Precision's willingness to accept group buy designs is to be saluted, but their quality control (an oxymoron?) leaves something to be desired. [I have to wonder how they can absorb the costs of so many mistakes.] As I've written once before, if were my decision to make, I'd look for another manufacturer. Just my $0 .02.

Uncle Grinch
06-28-2007, 03:09 PM
I like most of my Lee moulds, especially the 6-cavity ones and although I have 8 or so 1 and 2 cavity moulds, they are as Buckshot says "consumables". While they are a good buy for the cost, they need to do something about the wooden handles on all of them. Several of mine are always loose and in some cases split. I have pinned the worst ones and wrapped the others.

And yet.... I continue to buy more. It's an addiction..boolit casting that is!

borderman
06-28-2007, 03:37 PM
I have several of the 6 cavity group buys and must say that they all worked fine once I lapped every cavity and installed a setscrew. I am currently awaiting delivery on 2 more and then I am done with future group buys if Lee is the maker. Delivery has gotten ridiculous with all the problems honchos are having with quality control issues. Regardless of the maker, except Lee of course, I am going to limit myself to Loverin or other full diameter designs since they seem to work the best for me.

tom barthel
06-28-2007, 03:43 PM
I'm very satisfied.
I did have to send a 6 cavity mold back to lee. It was replaced rather quickly. Would I do it again?? Probably not. Just because I'm getting older and more disabled. Just not able to shoot as much as I would like.

kodiak1
06-28-2007, 06:15 PM
I have five of them 2 are really good hardly have to tap them the drop very true bullets even weights.
one is hard to get it to drop bullets but it still throws good bullets 5 close in weight one kind of light.
the fourth one is the charm it cast bullets out of round not real bad but still out of round. After getting the first two and even the third one kind of expected one dog.
The last one hasn't felt the heat of hot molten lead down her throats yet but hopefully that changes next week.

Would love to see group buys on other makers moulds even if the price was more a person has to look at the quality.

Would like to see a good 50 cal I know it would be a one or maybe a two banger depending on whom would build it but that is what I need most now.
Ken.

Char-Gar
06-28-2007, 07:14 PM
Lee quality is not near NEI, RCBS, SAECO and others. However we can get a functional (with tweaking and a little angst) 6 hole molds as a reasonable cost.

I do think we have gone to seed on these things. Lots of GBs, for bullets not any better than what is already on the market. We are no longer filling voids in bullet mold lineup, but doing these things as a sort of addiction.

I think I have about six of these things. I Honchoed 311407 Mod, Fatter 30 and have 311291 cooking. I have been very satisfied with how 311407 turned out and get top notch results on the targets. Fatter 30 has worked OK in my Longbranch 303 Brit. It hasn't done that well in the Krags. 311291 is a known and proven design and if Lee doesn't screw it up too bad, should be a valuable addition to the mold collection.

Long story short, I have not had any serious disappointments, but then again, I didn't expect to be amazed at the quality. The molds have meet my expectations.

MtGun44
06-28-2007, 07:43 PM
I only have one, 429421 but have 3 more on order. The most serious
issue is the +.003" tolerance that Lee has added. This is just pure
sloppy workmanship to not be able to hold better tolerance than
this, and since we are often worried about getting undersized and
thereby useless boolits, we add some size, then Lee oversizes it
and we get boolits so darned big it could be a problem. My 429421 casts
at .437" about 0.004" bigger than ideal for me. I have sized a batch
down and got good results so am basically satisfied with it. It definitely
fills a need as my SBH has very large throats, and std molds don't
shoot extremely accurately, but you can get too much of a good thing.

Call me "satisfied, but concerned" about the +.003 tolerance band.

Bill

Edward429451
06-28-2007, 08:38 PM
I only have 2 GB moulds the revamped 452374, and the 460-350 GC moulds and so far I am 100% satisfied. Yeah had to ream out the GC shank on the 45/70 mould but it was easy and shoots great as far as my mediocre skills are concerned. :>)

I agree with Lloyd, whatcha expect for 60 bucks? I'm not the type to scream over less than perfection so I'm not often disappointed. You pays your money and takes your chances just like anything else. I did want in on the 429421 buy but couldn't and from the sound of how that one turned out...I'm glad I missed it.

I have hope for the collar button GB mould.

Char-Gar
06-28-2007, 08:39 PM
I don't think Lee has changed their tolerances. They have always been sloppy. Now they just send a CYA letter as a part of the order process, to help them out when the ******** starts. They can point to the letter and say..."See, we told you the tolerances and you agree for the order to continue, and these molds are within the tolerances".

Dale53
06-29-2007, 12:13 AM
I have no problem with the Lee Six Cavity moulds if the dimensions are correct. I handle them carefully and lubricate them with Bullshop Sprue Plate lube and all is well. I have taken delivery of two GB moulds (.314"x 120 gr RF and the 100 gr Keith ,314") and both work as I had hoped.

I was up for an "extra" 429421 until they came in WAY oversized. I am NOT interested in way oversize bullets.

I have been waiting on a .44 caliber full WC since February. I hope that it is the correct size when it finally gets here.

I am somewhat disappointed with the long waits and getting one with the wrong dimensions after such a long wait would not be pleasant. Since Lee will not hold proper dimensions, in general, I think I have probably bought my last GB mould.

I AM quite thankful to all of the "Honchos" for their efforts on our behalf. My disappointment in no way indicates ANY dissatisfaction with the honchos, at all.

Dale53

2 dogs
06-29-2007, 01:19 PM
I am a pretty serious sixgunner. I tend to be a bit anal with my sixgun bullets. Several of my guns are "best quality" pieces and they need good bullets. I dont have any of the GB molds but have ordered and am standing by for about 10 or so.....I am hoping for the best. I would like to thank all the honcho's and would also be more than happy to buy quality over quantity. Im fairly new here, I work hard for my money just like everybody else. To me there is no sense in not buying the best you can.

Crash_Corrigan
06-29-2007, 07:52 PM
I have a HP .45 single, two .324 170 singles for my 8 MM mauser,
a 6 C 115 GR TL in .357 for my 9 MM's,
a 6 C 158 GR SWC TL.358, a 6 C 148 GR TL .358,
a .50 TL for my 12 Gauge Muzzeloader Barrel,
1 6C SWC 200 GR .452 for my 1911,
a 6 c LFRN 255 GR .454 for my .45 LC,
2 C .225 50 GR RN for my .223 and a collection of 8 iron molds from lyman and RCBS and H & G.
I have three GB 6 bangers in the works and some should arrive soon. I have had excellent results with the over the counter 6 bangers and singles and double. They all need tender loving care, leementing and lubrication with Bull Plate Sprue lube and set screws on the pivot pins in the 6 holers. They do make good boolits if used carefully. :-D
I get excellent production rates and good boolits if I do my part. :drinks: I have not yet had to junk a Lee mold. :roll: I have sent two back and they have been returned without any questions from Lee and Midway.
I would not object to paying more for a custom mold from Lee or somebody else if the quality was there. However I will not pay for crap. Lee is not crap yet but what I have seen written on this forum would indicate that Lee has not always been up to snuff. :confused: For me I like them and I will contiue to buy them. Yes they are not made as well as the others but they also cost a lot less. I just got the .266 170 Gr Cruise Missle from Midsouth in a two holes configuration by Lee and it does make some dandy boolits for $17.00. I have yet to try them in my Sweede but I think that they should work pretty good. I have only been doing this for 15 years and I have a lot to learn but this is the place to learn and enjoy what is going on in the field. My dealings with members have been enjoyable and everybody has been above board and straight in all their dealings with me. Everybody has an open mind and is not afraid to help somebody out as they have been helped in the past by others. The golden rule is alive and well on this forum. Lets not mess it up![smilie=1:

waksupi
06-29-2007, 10:20 PM
I will echo others, in my praise for the honchos on these deals. I know you guys sweat boolits, hoping the molds will come through in what is asked for.
Kudos!

Leftoverdj
06-29-2007, 11:09 PM
I have at least half a dozen group buy moulds and no real dogs yet. Did have to ream the GC shanks on one and another came in casting a thou under spec. I can live with that, but realize that some others can't. I'm done honchoing, though. Figger I've done my share and don't need to take on that kind of reponsiblity again.

MT Gianni
06-29-2007, 11:36 PM
Thinking back I have had Buckshots 8mm heavy, 3589 copy by Bator, 45 BD, 311440 [sold to a member] 311407 and maybe 1 or 2 others. The custom bullets especially Louverin copys do great. I have issues with Lee's repeatability from cavity to cavity and lube groove depth. I would get in one again if I really wanted it but would replace it with a SC Lyman if given the opportunity for a correctly dimensioned mold. My time is valuable to me but it's also worth doing right the first time. Gianni.

45nut
06-29-2007, 11:53 PM
Leftoverdj can you pm me with the $ totals please? TY.

monadnock#5
07-01-2007, 03:56 PM
I gave my fatter .30 another go on Friday, and so far so good. Preliminary indications (boolit nose in muzzle) are that it will be fine for the MN's, .303's and maybe even an 8mm Mauser. Further trials will have to wait though. I've cut bait long enough. It's time to get my 03A3 fly rod out and send some 311467 and 311299 boolits (for which I have everything I need) down range.

Lloyd Smale
07-02-2007, 03:01 PM
Fermin if you looking for the best your money can buy then you best quit fooling with lee molds altogether. They are not that. If you want a quality mold go and buy a ballistic cast or at least a seaco or rcbs mold. Problem for me is that bullet designs i want arent available in molds i want so i settle for lee quality. there far from cadilacs but they make a mold thats a fair mold for a 6 cavity mold your only paying 60 bucks for. If a guy expects perfection for that ammount of money hes living in a dream world. Take a look at a ballistic cast mold and without even casting with it you can see why a 2 cavity mold costs as much as two 6 cavity lees.
I am a pretty serious sixgunner. I tend to be a bit anal with my sixgun bullets. Several of my guns are "best quality" pieces and they need good bullets. I dont have any of the GB molds but have ordered and am standing by for about 10 or so.....I am hoping for the best. I would like to thank all the honcho's and would also be more than happy to buy quality over quantity. Im fairly new here, I work hard for my money just like everybody else. To me there is no sense in not buying the best you can.

Boomer Mikey
07-02-2007, 03:43 PM
I'm sorry 2 dogs,

I agree with Lloyd, Lee molds are a serious compromise in quality but make it possible to get designs and sizes that are otherwise unobtainable.

One of the positive things about Lee molds is that they have demonstrated to me that less than perfect bullets can shoot very well indeed. Another positive is learning to appreciate some of the excellent molds I have from Lyman, RCBS and Saeco.

I originally got into this group buy stuff because I purchased two LSI Puma's in 44 Magnum with oversize bores at 0.433" and was searching for a way to get bullets large enough. Since then I've learned that for what all the Lee molds cost me and all the time I've spent making oversize sizing dies, firelapping, etc... I could have rebarreled the rifles and been ahead of the game. But I'll tell you this; I've learned so much from this experience and enjoyed the people here at Cast Boolits so much that I'm glad I've traveled this road.

Making excellent quality irons work with excellent quality bullets is satisfying but making some of these cheaply made, sloppy irons work with bullets you've made and shaped into custom works of art with homemade lube, dies and such is another level entirely.

Boomer :Fire:

ron brooks
07-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Lloyd,

I understand why you listed RCBS and Saeco as top notch molds, but why not Lyman?

The reason that I participate in the group buys is to get molds that I can't obtain otherwise, especially oversize. They don't have to last forever, but I wish they would pay more attention to Quality Control and they wasn't such a lag between the time a order is put in and when we recieve it.

I would be quite happy to pay more, a lot more for a Lyman/RCBS/SAECO custom mold, especially a 4 cavity.

Ron

Ricochet
07-02-2007, 05:28 PM
My frequently voiced complaint is the fatboolititis with which the group buy moulds are often afflicted. I've just been griping in another thread about the problems I have with several moulds seating Gator Checks on the fat shanks of my boolits and hearing about doing things like annealing checks, flaring them with a punch and then maybe having to crimp them back down in a base first sizing die before they'll go in a nose first sizing die. That's absurd. And a six hole version of the Lee "Soup Can" that was meant for standard .30s, not a "Fat Thirty," but drops them at .315" in wheelweight metal? That's just silly. (I've got one.) May make a pretty good Mosin plinker boolit. I've got a lot more moulds for the Mosin than I do Mosin rifles. What I need are boolits for standard .30s and the skinny .30, the K-31 that does best with a boolit sized clear down to .308" and a bore rider around .298". "You can always size 'em down, but you can't size 'em up." Yeah, but it's ridiculous to have to size down boolits till you can see 'em elongate and the lube grooves get shallow! I've learned my lesson, and a lot of the group buys that I've stayed out of I've avoided specifically because the first thing that's said is "Let's make it bigger!"
:roll:

ron brooks
07-02-2007, 05:42 PM
Ricochet,

What you say sounds quite reasonable to me. I like oversize in PB .44's for my Marlin 94. I would think that a 30 cal, especially for a GC that was wheel weight cast at say 311 would be fine. too much of a good thing ain't good.

Opinions?

BluesBear
07-02-2007, 06:11 PM
I was just looking at the cast bullets I have purchased fron several different big name boolit companies. Looks like most of them came from Ballisti-Cast or Magma moulds running on a Auto Cast or a Bullet Master. If a person is carefull they can hand cast bullets of equal quality with a Lee mould. Just not as fast.

Personally I would simply love to have a shelf full of four or six cavity NEI, H&G (Ballisti-Cast) and SAECO-Redding moulds in every style I desired.
Unfortunately, even without the $100+ setup/custom charge, I am one of those souls who simply doesn't have the income to afford them.
Lyman makes so few four cavity moulds anymore and RCBS makes NONE.

Helle's Belles I can't even afford all of the Lee Moulds I'd like to have.

Let's face it, some of y'all make a lot more money that the rest of us.
You guys can afford the best.
As for me, at one time I could too, but right now I'm sitting here trying to exist on Social Security Disability. Hopefully I'll heal enough to go back to work someday.

Thankfully I bought quality handguns when I could afford them. Nowadays it's all I can do to afford to shoot the ones I have.
If I participate in two group buys in a single calendar month I have to scrimp on some food. Hamburger Helper tastes much better when you actually add the hamburger.
Now I'm not complaining. And I sure ain't looking for sympathy.
I'm just pointing out that some of us here have a Champaigne palate, but a Malt Liquor budget.

For some of us it's Lee-or-nothing.
Or buy 4 or 5 Lee moulds for the same price as 1 high quality.

Another way to look at it is, What good is buying top notch moulds if then you can't afford primers or powder?

If you can afford a custom NEI or Ballisti-Cast go for it. Just don't look down your nose at those of us who can't and/or who choose to go with good enough over the best.

BluesBear
07-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Several people posted while I was typing.

I agree with Ricochet. I have avoided a couple of buys because of the Bigger-is-Better logic. But then I understand how that happens because I see folks nagging the Honchos about how they need an oversized boolit because they bought a gun that was made out of spec.
I once had a very nice pinned barrel S&WS 25-5 that had oversize throats. So I dumped it and later bought a newer non-pinned one that was made correctly.
So the majority of us have to deal with an oversized mould.

Reminds me of Drummers too apathetic to properly tune their heads.
They figure the sound guy will "fix" it in the mix.
What's the old adage G.I.G.O.?

Oversized I can handle. Some can be "fixed" in the sizer.
But on grossly oversized, I'll pass.

2¢-YMMV

Lloyd Smale
07-02-2007, 07:58 PM
because for the most part there not. Lyman molds are not near the quality the ones i listed are in my opinion unless you buy there 4 cavity molds. There a much better mold then the one and two cavity molds.
Lloyd,

I understand why you listed RCBS and Saeco as top notch molds, but why not Lyman?

The reason that I participate in the group buys is to get molds that I can't obtain otherwise, especially oversize. They don't have to last forever, but I wish they would pay more attention to Quality Control and they wasn't such a lag between the time a order is put in and when we recieve it.

I would be quite happy to pay more, a lot more for a Lyman/RCBS/SAECO custom mold, especially a 4 cavity.

Ron

db2
07-02-2007, 11:09 PM
IMHO, I have four of the five GB 6 cav. moulds that I have been apart of. The 301141, and 311407 are great. No out of round issues, and not undersized. Now, the 452374 round nose thats a different story. I bought 2 moulds and one was ok the other just sucks. It has TIR issues. So, I guess that would equal 75% happyness. I am waiting on the 30 cal round nose to finnish up. My issue is, don't they know what an air gage is, or even a die test? It would take 3 seconds in each hole to check size and TIR.

Would I buy another? Honestly I do not know, if there is a boolit that is hard to get from other sources I might. I would be more than willing to spend more for quality. It would be nice to find someone who is willing to do full custom mould work like, flat nose, rond nose, and pointed nose .22 cal and up.

db2

alamogunr
07-02-2007, 11:39 PM
I got carried away and bought into a bunch of these things. I've only had time to really use 3 or 4. Most of what I've bought is for my own use as plinkers and practice. I'm not a good enough shot to be able to tell when the bullet is the problem and when I'm the problem. Also most have been for revolvers. I use the BD45 in both revolvers and bottom feeders. I guess what I'm saying is that since I'm retired and have more time than you working stiffs, I can use the GB molds as a learning experience. If I screw one up or it doesn't throw boolets that are acceptable to me, I'll put it aside, maybe offer it to this site, or whatever. I'm thankful for a place to go to learn from all the experience on this site. Having said all this, I probably won't be a part of GB's in the future unless it is something I really need. Famous last words.

John

ron brooks
07-02-2007, 11:43 PM
Fair enough. I just don't usually hear bad about Lyman molds. In what ways are the not up to the SAECO and RCBS molds?

Thanks

Ron

because for the most part there not. Lyman molds are not near the quality the ones i listed are in my opinion unless you buy there 4 cavity molds. There a much better mold then the one and two cavity molds.

BluesBear
07-03-2007, 02:11 AM
But then again there are a LOT of really old Lyman and Ideal moulds still going strong.
And an awful lot of people are producing a lot of good bullets with them.
As long as youy don't abuse them they seem to last forever.
Remember, no mould from any maker will last very long if it's abused or negelected.

knothead
07-05-2007, 11:00 PM
I've been satisfied with them all, lee is doing fine by me. I don't like the shape of the 45 rnl, but thats me. It shoots great.
The guys that run the gb'd are great we owe them alot.
Thanks guys

C A Plater
07-05-2007, 11:57 PM
My Lee experience of late has been very disappointing. The Ranch Dog .44 took three tries to get it close to the drawing. The latest one was supposed to be a .360 180 grain and so far versions 1 and 2 are not right. When/if they get it right they are quite serviceable molds at a modest price. With the seeming decline in quality control, my enthusiasm for new Lee GB has waned considerably and with most of my current needs covered well, I'm not likely to be getting in on any new Lee GBs.

Lloyd Smale
07-06-2007, 04:44 AM
biggest weakness in there two cavity designs are there crappy spruce plates. threre also made on smaller blocks and have smaller alignment pins. What i really like is the seacos. That center located spruce plate bolt is great. Now if i could combine some of the good bullet designs that rcbs has with the spruce plate on a seaco a guy would have about the best of the inexpensive molds. The lymans also tend to get beat up faster then an rcbs or seaco so i would have to guess the quality of the steel alloy isnt as good. Like i said though there 4 cavity molds are built alot stouter and have a good spruce plate and have given me years of trouble free service. I just wish that rcbs would make a 4 cavity mold!!
Fair enough. I just don't usually hear bad about Lyman molds. In what ways are the not up to the SAECO and RCBS molds?

Thanks

Ron

nicholst55
07-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Wish I'd've known all this before I placed an order on a GB... Especially since I haven't been working for two months, and money is getting short. :???:

ron brooks
07-06-2007, 08:45 PM
Thanks Lloyd,

I see what you are saying, especially about the sprue plate.

Much appreciated,

Ron

biggest weakness in there two cavity designs are there crappy spruce plates. threre also made on smaller blocks and have smaller alignment pins. What i really like is the seacos. That center located spruce plate bolt is great. Now if i could combine some of the good bullet designs that rcbs has with the spruce plate on a seaco a guy would have about the best of the inexpensive molds. The lymans also tend to get beat up faster then an rcbs or seaco so i would have to guess the quality of the steel alloy isnt as good. Like i said though there 4 cavity molds are built alot stouter and have a good spruce plate and have given me years of trouble free service. I just wish that rcbs would make a 4 cavity mold!!

Ricochet
07-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Well, Nichols, you may be very happy with your GB mould, and I hope you are. I have several that I'm very happy with, a few that I gripe about because the bullets are too fat, and am awaiting the arrival of two more presently. I'm about done with them, though, unless something I really need comes along, and I can't imagine what that'd be. Six hole versions of a few Lee and Lyman standard rifle bullets I like would be nice, but whenever it comes up, someone wants to mess with the design. (Usually to fatten it up.) I even passed up the .45 Collar Button, which I've always thought a cool little bullet, because my .45-70 is a lever action with a tubular magazine and not very friendly to single loading.

Do look at the standard offerings first. Maybe you won't need a custom design. Lee has some regularly recurring designs that pop up on their surplus page that they don't catalog. Small modifications of existing designs.

Ranch Dog
07-07-2007, 01:47 PM
I've purchased a bunch of special order molds from Lee and personally haven't had any problems. Out of the 1000 molds I've purchased in the last 12 months, I've sent one order of four trial molds back (gas shank too large) and it was corrected immediately. I always buy four molds of a design to make sure my work is good and there are a couple designs that I have not ordered again. I have also had some other special order work done without problems: Lube & Size Kits, Case Trimmers, and both Pacesetter and Factory Crimp Dies to my spec.

As stated elsewhere here, there was two bad buys of my designs that took forever to correct (the TLC432-285-RF and now the TLC359-180-RF) and I'm not sure why that happened as it was not my buy. One blotched buy goes an long ways toward some very negative feelings. Taking three attempts to correct an order is passing from bad to very bad service.

dromia
07-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Well I haven't had any GB moulds yet but I'm in for 5 pending and around a dozen more from other boards.

I've gone into this with my eyes open, I'm not a great Lee fan, innovative design poor execution. At best their stuff can be made to work with fettling or regular replacement of parts, If you want something ready to go then Lee isn't the place to buy from in my experience. But then the price is low.

I've just bought a couple of 2 bang standard line moulds and both have been crap. I just got a recent 6.5 cruise missile from Mid South. As cast from new there was poor nose fill out, you'd almost think the alloy was too cold and they needed levering out of the moulds. I had to Leement the damn thing twice to sort it and it still needs to be run hot and a bullet still hangs up in one cavity, a light tap now drops it but Lee moulds don't with stand much tapping.

The 8mm mould from Midway UK is exactly the same, its on my bench graphited ready for Leementing when I get three or so free evenings.

I go for the GBs because I get moulds I can't get anywhere else in a six banger at a good price and recognise that some might be dogs. If all are dogs then I'm off the GB thing from Lee as Lee fettling moulds or otherwise, is not something I enjoy, I'd sooner be Casting, Handloading and Shooting.

Personally I'd pay a bit more for some more quality certainty and go with less cavities, I'd even go with two holers on some boolits.

My experience with Lee recently has been with larger size moulds .45" upwards and they've been fine, maybe they sell slower and have been older stock made when they were a bit more concientious.

If Lee don't do something about quality then it won't just be their custom moulds that will loose sales but their standard line moulds will stop selling too. So critical feedback is important and the higher up the food chain the better usually.

BluesBear
07-08-2007, 03:16 AM
... my .45-70 is a lever action with a tubular magazine and not very friendly to single loading.

I was wondering about that. I've been considering getting a Marlin.
Can anyone advise me about the leade in the chamber? Is it long or short?
I was wondering if an empty .45-90 case would chamber? If so then the collar button loaded in the longer case might feed though the action.

Perhaps I just might have to consider a Cimarron Sharps.

Ricochet
07-08-2007, 03:54 PM
I wasn't worried about feeding as much as about the center-pointed profile of the bullet and primers in front of them in a tubular magazine. I doubt the .45-90 cases will chamber without reaming the barrel, but it's not a bad idea.
:-D

BluesBear
07-08-2007, 06:31 PM
It was late at night and that idea just popped into my head. I didn't take time to factor in that its nose might be of concern.
I had just taken for granted that it had been used in tubular magazines before.

Ranch Dog
07-08-2007, 08:12 PM
I've got a chamber casting and dimensions of it somewhere in bites and bits on this computer. If I can't find it I will remeasure it. I really doubt that it will work as in my 1895G as the brass length pushes the SAAMI spec for the 45-70 Govt. of 2.105" with a .460" bullet, chambering the cartridge can be difficult.

shdwlkr
07-11-2007, 11:11 AM
I have only gotten into 2 group buys and to date haven't seen either one is because we are waiting to get 25 orders the other is in Lee's hands and the more I read about them the less I would do business with them.
I think my next mould purchase is going to cost me more as I will do business with a company that wants my business.

TAWILDCATT
07-11-2007, 10:33 PM
I'v not got in group buys but!!I have a dozen lee molds and all have worked fine.
all drop the bullets out.I just got the cruise missil, cast perfect. maybe I take more time to learn the likes of these molds.
:coffee: :Fire: :coffee:

357maximum
07-12-2007, 11:19 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=17945&page=3

see post

and come to your own conclusions

jeff223
07-12-2007, 11:22 AM
[smilie=p: LEE BOOLIT MOLDS [smilie=p:

Marine Sgt 2111
08-24-2007, 11:30 AM
I am in on three of the GB's and teetering on two more without actually owning one. I have never been a big fan of Lee molds as I cut my teeth on Lymans and then grew to use RCBS and Saeco's when I got a Ballisticast auto caster.

I like the price for the six banger and the ability to get improved or non cataloged items but this attitude toward "we" peasants by Lee management and the lack of quality control is really giving me the most uneasy feeling.

I swear.....if I knew someone with an CNC lathe, I would write the programs, buy the tooling and dang....turn those molds out.......:holysheep

IcerUSA
09-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Just a thought with this: "The most serious issue is the +.003" tolerance that Lee has added. ". If it was me doing the turning on a lathe in a production type machine that was not CNC, I could accept that tolerance as it is only .0015 a side, when turning on a lathe it is important to remember that a .001 move on the cross slide equals .002 on the part. Don't take much to be oversize, so if Lee's tolerance is +.003, -.000 it shouldn't be a big deal to get the drawings within the tolerances and have good to go moulds. But then again I could be wrong. Just my observation.

Keith

MT Chambers
09-11-2007, 10:23 PM
I hate to be a killjoy but i won't do it again and would take a refund for the outstanding buys I have, I didn't realize the wait would be so long, and the Lee quality does suck! From now on i will order Saeco, RCBS, Lyman or if it's a design they don't make, I'll order NEI and have better quality in a week and a half(Canada).

Char-Gar
09-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Mt. Chambers.... I think you are SOL as far as a refund goes. Lee has the money and any refund has to come out of the Honcho's pocket. Being a Honcho is a money losing proposition as it is and I don't think any of them want to go into his pocket because you patience level is on the short side.

I agree with you, that you should stay away from these group buys, it would be best for everybody.

Dale53
09-12-2007, 08:29 PM
I have received two of my group buys (a .314"x120 gr RF and a .314" x 100 gr Keith). Both moulds are an absolute delight. They are the correct size for my revolvers and they both shoot well. Couldn't ask for more.

I have been waiting since February for a .430"x200gr DEWC and have my fingers crossed on dimensions. If it arrives with good dimensions, I will be happy in spite of the wait. I have gotten over my impatience - it'll be here when it gets here.

I believe that WE have contributed mightily to the delay with our large number of GB's. I am hoping that Lee's new equipment will solve both the delay problems AND the tolerance problems.

Dale53

rmb721
09-12-2007, 09:39 PM
I only have one GB mould. That is a C358-180 RF. I am very satisfied with my mould and 357 Maximum did a great job as honcho.

MT Chambers: You can always sell your moulds after you receive them. I think there is usually someone that decided a little too late that they wanted one.

sundog
09-12-2007, 10:39 PM
Y'all just suit yersef.

Willbird
09-13-2007, 01:10 PM
The deal with Lee that is SCARY is that they (the office guys) have to be backed into a corner to admit a mistake.

Now I have been a machinist since I was 5 (no lie I cut my teeth on a sb9 then) and I'm 42 now. I can fully understand .003 or maybe even a bit more on features controlled by the form tool, but the ONE dimension that counts, that being the OD of the bullet cavity should be able to be held within +- .0003 as a control dimension and .001 as a published tolerance.

There sure IS reason to have some issues with what alloy is to be used and stuff like that, but the 454-275 we did they cut the CAVITY like .450" the first time, no excuse, and they "fixed" it by recutting the molds I would swear with no coolant.

They make up all kinds of excuses why things get done wrong, but it comes right down to.

A. Poor workmanship
B. NO pre production inspection
C. No in process inspection
D. No outgoing inspection
E. In some cases shipping things they KNOW are wrong.

Lee Precision would not survive as a contract job shop, I'm willing to bet you decent money that they mess up whole runs of molds all the time and have to recut them to a larger bullet to salvage them.

I'm sure other Honcho's can share that when you get a GB from Lee it's not "is something wrong with the molds" but rather "how bad are they, and will they be WORSE when they "fix" them"

It is a given with every single one that some error was made, or a change was made without permission from the buyers.

STILL to be fair if your willing to take the gamble the LEE 6 cavity is the nicest thing going in 6 cavities for 50 bucks. if they made a 2-3 cavity on the same style blocks that used the same handles it might be a real good mold............I have told them this.

The Lee 1 and 2 cavity molds are total poop IMHO and I will not buy another one for any bullet I want to make more than a handfull of.

Bill

45 2.1
09-13-2007, 02:15 PM
Willbird is correct in about everything he says, tolerence issues especially being true, but every once in awhile one gets thru that is pretty darned close to spec. The last couple GB deliveries have been really good. Here is hope that they continue that way, because we really have a lot of GBs for them to get out till we get back to a comfortable level and short delivery times.

6pt-sika
09-13-2007, 02:35 PM
My first group buy mould was the 7mm Soup Can and it is fine as well as a LeftoverDJ 25-20 mould .
Later I got another that was a copy of the Lyman 30 cal 150 grain FP GC that also worked great .
A month or so ago I got another 30 cal 150 grain mould that 357 MAX came up with and it also serves me well .

Also bear in mind while all this has been going on , I have had the oppurtunity to recieve and try ALL of the Ranch DOg designs be it the ones that were group buys or the ones he happens to be working with .

And knock on wood , they have all done well for me :drinks:

At the moment I have a Boomer Mikey .434" 330 grain GC on order and am hoping to get in on a .323" 150 grain FN GC bullet for the 32 Special .

But , this is coming from someone who three years ago thought Lee made nothing but JUNK . Suffice to say I have been quite satsfied with the product in my own use . I will say I don't care for the holdup in the production department . But as the saying goes "**** Happens" !

6pt-sika
09-13-2007, 02:52 PM
The deal with Lee that is SCARY is that they (the office guys) have to be backed into a corner to admit a mistake.

Now I have been a machinist since I was 5 (no lie I cut my teeth on a sb9 then) and I'm 42 now. I can fully understand .003 or maybe even a bit more on features controlled by the form tool, but the ONE dimension that counts, that being the OD of the bullet cavity should be able to be held within +- .0003 as a control dimension and .001 as a published tolerance.

Bill

Bill , I work as a CNC Technician for a worldwide company . The emphasis in our facility is the machining of aluminum valve blocks and master cylinders . And we work in tolerances that are .001 or a micron whichever you care to call it . Now most of the machinery I deal with "was" state of the art 20 years ago and is still good if maintained correctly .

But............................................... ...................................
I work in a high production market , so maintanence is often overlooked , untila big problem crops up . All companies preach quality over quantity . But if truth be known they prefer quantity and only worry about quality when they get caught .

Willbird
09-13-2007, 11:44 PM
I should have been clear that I was talking about INCHES :-) not MM.

.001MM(1 micron) is a lot finer tolerance than .001"

Where I work now we make many automotive hubs and such, the dia where the wheel bearing press's on is held +- .008MM which is a darn tight tolerance for a roughly 2" dia......for us old guys thats .00031" if I did my math right. Where the wheel and brake roter fits on they give us a whopping +-.015mm which is .0006"...................runout of the bearing dia to the splined ID is held maximum TIR of .01MM which is .0004" again for us old guys.

The trained brain converts to English to get a grasp on the number, but then it forgets all over again, maybe the best way to get a tighter tolerance on our molds would be to spec them in Metric............ 30+ years around micrometers tells us that .001 is a zig zag rolling paper and that number is just hardwired to some extant.....reteaching your brain to not FREAK when it is .01MM undersized is darn hard...logic has to overrule emotion and do the math and realize it is only .0004" on a TURNED dia :-). basically holding what used to be OD grinder tolerances on a turning machine that will machine 600 parts easily in 7 hours. part of why it works is the automated gaging that adjusts the machine from the average dia of the last 3-4 parts machined.

Bill

truckjohn
04-20-2008, 12:04 AM
I guess I kinda wish there were more categories for "satisfaction"

How can we tell Lee what to work on if everyone balks about something different.

A. Wait time / Delivery Unsatisfied -- A year is too long (I am still waiting after a full YEAR for some martini molds)

B. Price -- Very Satisfied. I am actually surprised they charge so little for a custom design.

C. Quality meeting the specs they said they would meet -- Mostly-satisfied. ( standard 0 - +0.003" dia, 0.002" out of round pass/fail, not Cpk)

D. Quality -- Making a mold that casts bullets meeting the customer's drawings given (C) -- Satisfied.

E. Quality -- Ease of casting, 1st try, no work on the mold -- Unsatisfied. They just don't cast right the 1st time.

F. Quality -- Basic mold structural design -- 50%. The sprue plate cutter on 6-cav is innovative. Choice of their specific aluminum alloys seems poor. Sprue plate holder downer bolt design shifts cavities and causes out of roundness. Fly cutter venting doesn't work right.

G. Working with the custom designer -- It sounds like the feedback loop between our honcho and their tool maker is broken. A question = back to the bottom of the pile with no consideration of calling the honcho. Of course, at a real custom shop, you pay extra for using their designers.

They could probably do some smart things and really get the quality up and costs low.... it would probably take a smart engineer and tool maker team to work it out, though. Not sure if their overall cost structure would support this.

We could probably entice a custom mold maker to do 6-cav group buys for us.
The problem is that it would cost us like $200/mold to get what we want vs $60.
Granted... we would get:
6-cavities that cast identical
Molds that are cut to print
Roundness
Proper venting
Delivery when they said they would
Molds that would drop boolits without any work
Precision cut to OUR specs
Tool maker feedback and actual customer service.

If Lee actually got the above worked out at current prices.... they would put NEI, LBT, Ballisticast, Magma, RCBS, Lyman, and Saeco out of business quick. Currently, that is just not going to happen....

Thanks

John

Down South
08-17-2010, 07:48 PM
I've had some bad experience with Lee moulds from Lee. Mostly undersized boolits, some that were out of round from the mould. So, I never got on any of the Lee GB's.

Down South
08-17-2010, 08:15 PM
You know, I don't know what happened here. I went reading some of the past replies and then saw the date. I was thinking that this was a recent thread when I responded but it's not. But it was up as a recent thread on the CB section. It must be something to do with the new server.

Guys, check the dates on this thread before you post. It has mold growing on it.

RayinNH
08-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Down South. I got sucked into reading this thread too and then noticed it was three years old :veryconfu. Some of those Lee molds from back then are plumb worn out now...Ray

lurch
08-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Yep - I noticed the title, voted, and then started reading. After just a few posts I thought, this can't be right, everything I've gotten has been pure perfection...then I noticed the date as well...

Never did get in on a Lee buy. Their production product soured me on them long ago.

Larry Gibson
08-18-2010, 02:12 PM
I voted at 50% because several of the GB moulds cast too big. The 311041 and 311291 are good examples; they both cast out at .314/.315 on the driving bands and .302/.303 on the nose. They are great for .31 cals but I wanted them for my .30s and they are just too big for those. Would have been better to call them 314041 and 314291 and then I would have know what I was getting. My 429421 also cast very large at .434 with a hard alloy. For the rare revolver with large throats that might be ok but I size at .430 for my Ruger and Colt and those bullets just are too hard sizing in a 450.

It should be made quite clear in the thread whether it is for an oversize bullet or a standard size (as in what the same mould from Lyman, RCBS, SAECO, etc) drop them at. I know there is always a little variation but the GB moulds seem to be consistently oversize.

Larry Gibson

SCIBUL
08-19-2010, 03:05 AM
I also have several LEE molds for years now. Some are single cavities, other are 2 opr 6 cav. The last i bought is a 6 cav. but the 6th one was bad milled. I took pics and sent them to LEE. They send me a new mold ten days later (in France)... I'm pleased :drinks:

Three-Fifty-Seven
08-19-2010, 08:13 AM
I'm happy with the GB's I've been part of, but only been in the past year . . . and I have bought most of them from MiHec (4, #5 just got paid for last night!) And one NOE.

Blammer
08-19-2010, 05:16 PM
This is referring only to LEE moulds.

GLynn41
08-19-2010, 06:41 PM
I have only been involved with one from Mia-- .41 cal cramer style and it is good to go-- well pleased what little problem we had he took care of

BD
08-20-2010, 12:29 PM
I have six or seven of the Lee group buy 6 cavity molds, and a couple of the earlier two cavity group buys. In general I've been happy with them. The thing that finally stopped me from participating was the time frame. The last two took nearly a year. I can go on the Mountain Molds site and get exactly what I want most times, and have it in my hand in 3 weeks.
BD