PDA

View Full Version : Original h&g 68 mold variants

dntfxr
12-16-2012, 03:47 PM
I've been researching the 68 and its variants and it looks like there were several that were heavier; The original 68 in 200g bb or pb, a 219g bb, a 231g pb, 232 bb, and a 239 bb. I'm sure several members here own multiple versions of the 68, and hopefully someone has experience on how the heavier versions shoot compared to the venerable 200g version. I'd prefer the heavier version for my own uses if it has the same accuracy potential of the 200g. Thanks for any experiences and replies.
Brent

runfiverun
12-16-2012, 05:43 PM
if he doesn't see this.
try a p.m. to texas fly boy he should have the info on the H&G molds.
there is a flat based 68 mold also.

sagamore-one
12-16-2012, 05:58 PM
And... not all H&G 68 's in 200 grain are the same. I have passed along some that were noticably different than the "standard" 68 . One had a somewhat wider bevel on the base and only dropped 195 gr. One had a somewhat wider driving band , one had a seemingly squared bottom brease groove.
I cast samples from a newly acquired mould and if they don't fit into my existing moulds, I pass them along to new ownership. I still have and use Custom Matched Pairs in 8 cavity and also in 6 cavity. Any boolit from any cavity will fit.

dntfxr
12-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the info guys, and I'll try to pm Texas flyboy for more info on them. In the meantime I ordered one of Miha's leftover flat base 4 cavity brass clones, can't wait to get it. If its anything like my .44 503 from him ill be very happy. I'm still interested in the heavier versions though, I may call ballisti cast about the remakes they offer, and anyone else that has shot them please chime in.
Thanks again

eck0313
12-16-2012, 10:44 PM
My H&G 68s run a little heavy when cast with WWs - around 209 grs. They shoot extremely well. I would be a little leery of the variants that are supposed to weigh 231 gr. H&G's calculations were based on linotype - WWs with that bullet will likely run 240 grains or more.

captaint
12-17-2012, 09:28 AM
I don't sweat the differences in weight. 190 gr - 210 gr .. Makes very little difference, even in loading practices. Find the one or so that shoot really well. You're gonna like that MP 200 gr 68 clone. You may not go looking after using that one a while. I have a mold that makes 230 gr "ball" boolits. I hardly ever use it, and it shoots well also. I'm kinda like "why use the extra lead if I don't have to ? " enjoy Mike

dntfxr
12-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Well I couldn't stand it. I called Ballisticast and ordered the 668bbs 239g bb version. I know, I'm sick.... :-D I pm'd Texasflyboy about his molds and he took the time to give me a nice informative response, I really appreciate that.
Maybe a not so common boolit, but I'm lookin forward to playin around w it in the super. And in the back of my mind I'm thinking I may have this one HP'd down the road. :)

williamwaco
12-21-2012, 11:37 PM
Well I couldn't stand it. I called Ballisticast and ordered the 668bbs 239g bb version. I know, I'm sick.... :-D I pm'd Texasflyboy about his molds and he took the time to give me a nice informative response, I really appreciate that.
Maybe a not so common boolit, but I'm lookin forward to playin around w it in the super. And in the back of my mind I'm thinking I may have this one HP'd down the road. :)

I predict you will do more than "play around with it" I expect you will adopt it and forget about your other molds.