PDA

View Full Version : new guy getting started, a few questions.

fireguy715
12-16-2012, 12:33 AM
I ordered melting pot and plan on casting bullets this winter. My first question is why do people ad wax right into the lead for flux? At what velocity are gas checks needed? How fast can lead be pushed,(I have a .375 ruger that I'd like to use for deer hunting)? I've been reloading for 10 years or so but casting bullets will be a new adventures. I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks

runfiverun
12-16-2012, 02:46 AM
the wax is lit on fire to create an oxygen free barrier that allow's free alloy oxides to return to the alloy.
gas checks? well the answer is... it depends. i generally need them at about 1400 fps in my rifles, but i can go up over 1600 easy nuff in my pistol cartridge leverguns.

how fast can lead be pushed?
that's the million dollar question right there.
the answer is how much time,money,and effort do you wanna put into it?
plain naked boolits? paper wrapped? how do you wanna go about it...

your 375 can chuck a 250 to 300 gr boolit just like the 38-55 has done for over 100 years but will beat it's velocity by about 400 fps with a gas check, some measuring, alloy manipulation,and with a little effort.
that same load will take a deer ,elk,or black bear rather easily.

take things one step at a time,and learn how to measure a bbl,and most importantly how to measure a throat/neck area of your rifles chamber.

canyon-ghost
12-16-2012, 03:24 AM
Lead is generally fired at a lower velocity than jacketed. It's main reason is that it will be very touchy about velocity in terms of accuracy. You can fire it at a rate so fast that the accuracy is the size of a greyhound bus or, slow it down and it may group very tiny. Too fast, and it shoots wild. This doesn't mean at all that it is less effective. In fact, it can be more effective at slower speeds.

blackthorn
12-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Welcome aboard. The answers to most (if not all) your questions can be found by reading the "stickies" at the beginning of each forum!!!