PDA

View Full Version : Retirement Planning

bruce drake
12-15-2012, 11:36 PM
So far, management applications have been filled out and resumes emailed with WalMart, Kmart and Sears in Indiana, Georgia and Tennessee. Now let us see which company calls back in the next 90 days or so...

My teaching certificates are still being worked on but I foresee a need to have another job ready when I retire from the Army in the summer of 2013.

Anyone with connections?

Bruce

MtGun44
12-16-2012, 01:47 AM
Good luck with Kmart and Sears. One company and close to bankruptcy.

Bill

starmac
12-16-2012, 02:27 AM
Are you dead set on those three states??? There are still places begging for help if one is moving anyway.

bruce drake
12-16-2012, 07:47 AM
The Dear Wife has already Kiboshed a move to Alaska. Those are the states that had management positions open that my wife has family close by to help her with the transition to retirement. Me - I'll work where ever there is a decent paycheck. The Dear Wife has drawn a line in the dirt as the saying goes, and I have been away from the family too many times in the last 10 years to liken being a geographic bachelor again.

Kmart and Sears are part of the same company but they are doing better according to a recent trade article in the Wall Street Journal. I know I need to have a good paying job to help with the certification expenses of being a teacher so I figure I'd drop my Resumes out to go Corporate for a few years.

Bruce

koehn,jim
12-16-2012, 10:52 PM
I am sure I said it before but thank you for your years of service keeping us safe.

Elkins45
12-16-2012, 11:37 PM
Kentucky has a program where your military service might be able to translate into alternative teaching certification. PM or email me if that interests you at all.

MtGun44
12-17-2012, 12:03 AM
Good news about Sears, then. I really actually like Sears and buy much of my tools and
shop stuff from them, most appliances and more. Hope they stay around.

Kmart - well, they have done such a bad job in the last few years, and so totally removed
their guns, ammo and hunting stuff that I don't really go in anymore. If they can find a
smart manager to turn it around (Bruce?), then I wish them well.

Good luck finding a good job.

Bill

Bad Water Bill
12-17-2012, 08:24 AM
SEARS
Not in my lifetime would I recommend this over 35 year miss managed corp.

I started working there in 1954 and retired in 1986. Looking back it was 2 entirely different companies.

In my humbled opinion the ONLY way SEARS has survived this long is because of the assets they had created before the edjamigated fools took over.

Yes they are surviving BUT where is ALLSTATE,SEARS TOWER, and the rest of their assets sold off to keep them going is very long.

Bruce I know you can do better than that with your training and education.

Keep looking and thank you for your service and give that loving wife a big hug and thank you from me. That young lady has earned it.

schutzen
12-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Do not forget your current employer. There are many federal civilain jobs that utilize your skill set, government paperwork is still government paperwork. Try Corps of Engineers, Ft. Leonard Wood, Ft. Chaffee,FEMA, Social Security, Tennessee Valley Authority, US Forestry Service; get on the govenment jobs web site and look. As a previous poster listed, don't forget Kentucky if you like Tennessee. We have Ft. Campbell, Ft. Knox, Bluegrass Army Depot and a multitude of other state & federal jobs.

Alstep
12-17-2012, 02:33 PM
Schutzen is right, the only jobs out there is the gov't. Here in upstate NY, it's dead. I worked for a small machine and steel fabricating shop for 25 years, got laid off last March. We made electronically controled mechanisms for the rich and famous, and even they are not spending money any more. The only industry doing good is the print shop making "FOR SALE" signs for people leaving the state.
Thanks for your service and a Merry Christmas. Good Luck.
Al

popper
12-17-2012, 05:19 PM
I agree with BWB about Sears. They spend ~1/10 per Sq Ft in assets as other BB stores, because they can't afford more. Like K Mart and Grants, they don't keep up the facility so few shop there. Don't know your ed. and training, but look into substitute teaching. No certs needed to begin. Let me get this straight - you're retiring and your wife needs help adjusting? :kidding:

theperfessor
12-17-2012, 08:04 PM
Bruce -

Have you checked out Crane Naval Depot in Indana? Despite the name they do things for all the services. I've had some contact with them as a civilian advisor and faculty member in charge of students working on projects for them. Lots of different things going on there, lots of different skills needed, having practical warfighter experience would seem a plus to me.

Indiana isn't a bad place to live, lifetime CCW permits, good hunting. And we're in the black and getting a state tax rebate next year for having a surplus. Compare that to Illinois next door.

bruce drake
12-18-2012, 03:21 AM
The wife is from Indiana and I am an IU Grad as well. I've got my Federal feelers out as well. Crane would be fine if they were hiring but I haven't seen anything within my skillset from them on the USAJOB.Gov site. Just keeping several of other Fed. positions closer to the vest as you never know when they'll fall through with this fiscal cliff/budget BS we have.

Bruce

Charlie Two Tracks
12-18-2012, 08:54 AM
I just retired August 1st. Here is what we did. For the last two years, we lived on the income that we anticipated we would have when I retired. We made sure that we paid off all our debt and had some...... not a lot, of saving put away. I went from $72,000 per year to $25,000 per year. It will be ok. The time came when time became more important than money. I wish you well on your decisions.