PDA

View Full Version : an open letter

cavemike
12-15-2012, 11:27 PM
I will not claim this as mine, it came from here

http://ingunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/251874-an_open_letter.html

Mr. President, Members of Congress, and Members of the legislatures of the various states, and most importantly Free Citizens of our Republic -

I am just one citizen in one of our states. With the rest of the nation, I am horrified tonight at the magnitude of the crime that was committed today in Newtown, Connecticut. I am truly beyond words that a person would violate some of the most basic taboos of any civilization and descend to the depths that we have seen today. Our nation truly weeps with the families and the community of Newtown, Connecticut. No rational human being can do otherwise.

And all of us, regardless of race, religion (or lack thereof), income level, or any other factor cry as one – what can be done?
We live in an era where there is not enough money to go around. It is simply not possible to have a policeman or woman on every corner, or in every school. That said – if this school had had one or two or even a few more police on the scene when it erupted, the odds are good that many lives would have been saved. It is simply not economically possible to do this.

If only there was some magical device that people could carry in their pockets that could alter situations like this?! What a boon that would be to have such a device on the scene when needed. It might be similar to the Defibrillators found in airports, airplanes, and all kinds of public places for saving lives due to heart attacks. As with the medical devices – it might not be perfect and could not stop everything, but surely it would help in some cases. If ONLY we had such a device. If only such a device were deployable at a minimal cost. Our government is STRAPPED for cash. We are beyond broke in that regard. We cannot afford another expense. We CANNOT afford another government program.

If you knew of such a device, and a means to deploy it, would you not feel compelled to speak? Even compelled to shout it from the rooftops? I know of such a solution. I know of such a device. Many American citizens carry them in their pockets TODAY. They are trained in their use and stand ready to help others in the case of a crisis. I feel compelled to speak.

I am a computer professional and work in my own office. I have one of these devices in my pocket every day. I obey the laws of my state am licensed to use this device. I practice with it regularly, yet I pray that it never gets put into use, since that will mean that a deadly serious situation has taken place. If the assailant from Newtown had tried the same stunt in my place of business, it would have ended a lot more quickly than it did in that Elementary School.

So what is this magical device that evens the odds and has the ability to stop mass murderers in their tracks? This magical device in my pocket is a legally owned and legally carried handgun. Many of your friends and neighbors carry them every day, exercising their natural right to defend themselves in the gravest of extreme circumstances. And we pray that we never have to use them. Most never do. When needed, however, such a device is capable of changing the situation in a dramatic way. It simply must be present at the right place, at the right time, and in the right hands. Similar to the automatic defibrillator machines, it can save lives. Unlike the defibrillators, this device has a deterrent effect as well. Simply knowing that such a device MAY be present is enough to change a perpetrator’s mind and alter the circumstances. Heart disease does not choose another victim because there’s a chance that you are near a defibrillator machine. Criminals do choose other places to be when law abiding citizens are armed and prepared and MIGHT be there.

So why don’t we have these devices in the hands of EVERY teacher? For the same reason that we don’t have them in the hands of EVERY citizen – not everyone is prepared nor trained to use this device. NOR SHOULD THEY. It is a right, and a responsibility to be taken on SERIOUSLY and VOLUNTARILY.

WE DON’T NEED A GOVERNMENT PROGRAM TO DEPLOY THIS. Right now a law abiding citizen that is in the teaching profession is PROHIBITED BY LAW from carrying this lifesaving device in their pocket – out of sight of anyone, unless and until needed. Programmers, mechanics, real estate professionals, ALL kinds of people follow the laws of their state, and carry these devices every day.

And then we hear of places like Columbine, Virginia Tech and now Newtown. Each of these places has signs saying that “None of these devices are allowed”. Yet had a person been in those halls with one of those devices – they would likely have saved lives. All we need is for government to get out of the way and ALLOW – NOT FORCE law abiding citizens that happen to be school employees the same rights that ALL free citizens have and enjoy.

As Americans, one of the things we cherish is “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness”. That necessarily includes the ability to protect that life in case of a grave threat. It is long past time that our teachers and other school employees were given their rights back. The government does not need to spend a DIME to accomplish this. Just get out of the way.

So as you feel the need to "do SOMETHING", please consider this device. Please consider how much better yesterday might have been had one or two of our valiant teachers had not had their rights stripped from them, simply due to their choice of profession. We have a solution - one that can be deployed for FREE. Just allow people their natural rights. The events of Newtown may well have taken place - BUT - we might be hailing a teacher or principal or janitor as a hero today for stopping it before it got worse.

And today, all of us weep for the children.

Please contact all of your representatives, I know I am

Thanks
Mike

starmac
12-16-2012, 02:56 AM
Great letter.

hithard
12-16-2012, 04:05 AM
Second that,

Mr President why is it that you feel safe and secure, is it knowing that you are surrounding be individuals that posses these same devices? Why should we all not be afforded the same, do you not value every life as equally as that of your own?

Stephen Cohen
12-16-2012, 07:45 AM
This is the sort of letter that needs to be read by every American.

Tazman1602
12-16-2012, 08:04 AM
Been saying the same thing for years....

randyrat
12-16-2012, 08:38 AM
It is time to ARM our teachers and administration..It is for the children. This kind of mass madness can be stopped. They do this in Israel.

41 mag fan
12-16-2012, 09:19 AM
Too bad it wont be taken seriously. Read that on Ingo also.

1Shirt
12-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Yep, hard to disagree with any of the above!
1Shirt!

Para82
12-22-2012, 11:17 AM
One of the best things I have read on the whole sad situation so far
para82