PDA

View Full Version : Shooting/safety glasses for LARGE heads

Fumbler
06-27-2007, 02:18 PM
I can't find any glasses for big headed people (like me).

I've got a round head wider than most people.
I also have a short nose bridge and big cheeks.

Three things happen when I try on glasses:
-They're too narrow and won't go on my head
-They are wide enough for my head but the temple pieces are too short to reach correctly over my ears.
-The nose piece is too short and the glasses end up sitting on my fat cheeks.

I use safety glasses fairly regularly for shooting, yard work, and firefighting.
Can anyone suggest any good quality comfortable safety glasses that meet ANSI specs? Preferably polarized or tinted.
I don't mind spending $50-100 as long as someone with a large head can confirm that the glasses fit and work well.
I've looked at Wiley-X, ESS, Oakley, etc online, but there's no local source for me to try them.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. If I get some good suggestions then I can buy them online and try them out.

44man
06-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Most of us have swelled heads from shooting cast so good but mine slipped to my belly!

Johnch
06-27-2007, 09:27 PM
I also have several of your problems
I have been told I had a fat head [smilie=1: [smilie=1:

I got a set of safty glasses for my opthmoligest ( spelling , big time )
He had my measurments for my normal glasses
So he ordered me a frame and made me the glasses
If I remember right , mine ran about $ 175 - 200
With replacment lens , running about $50 - 60 each

But what cost can you put on your eye sight ??

john

monadnock#5
06-27-2007, 09:38 PM
Gargoyle's, Classic model. They fit my fat head just fine. If your's give you trouble, you'll have to go to a pro and have them fitted. It's amazing what a pro can do with a pair of glasses. The Gargoyle's filter three ranges of UV, and, in a lab withstood a 12ga. birdshot load pointblank, and remained intact. Less than $100 on Ebay.

Wayne Smith
06-27-2007, 09:39 PM
John, I assume that for that price they were also ground for your prescription? My regular glasses are plastic and meet standards for safety glasses. At least, that's what my eyeglass maker told me.

schutzen
06-27-2007, 09:41 PM
Try checking at a welding supply house. Most welding supply houses stock UVEX Safety glasses. UVEX brand comes in several sizes and you may be able to try them on before your purchase. They should run from $7 to $20 depending on style, size, and quantity purchased.

Old Ironsights
06-27-2007, 09:42 PM
Definately go to an Optometrist... or at least a LensCrafters (or equivelent One Hour Optical).

It's not the Frames that make or break ANSI, it's the lenses. Try on frames until you find a Fit & style you like then have ANSI spec lenses put in.

Johnch
06-27-2007, 11:22 PM
John, I assume that for that price they were also ground for your prescription? My regular glasses are plastic and meet standards for safety glasses. At least, that's what my eyeglass maker told me.

Yes the lens are ground for my prescription and polarized
Side sheilds
And the frame is not the cheapest
He fitted the frame to my face

Several of the places I work
You need side sheilds
And regular plastic glasses don't cut it , acording to the safety people

John

MT Gianni
06-27-2007, 11:56 PM
Try checking at a welding supply house. Most welding supply houses stock UVEX Safety glasses. UVEX brand comes in several sizes and you may be able to try them on before your purchase. They should run from $7 to $20 depending on style, size, and quantity purchased.

The uvex round style have me dizzy enough to puke in 30 minutes. Try them on and walk around. Gianni.

redbear705
06-28-2007, 11:41 PM
Try Here: http://www.mastermans.com/

they have a large selection and most prices are pretty good.

JR

Frank46
06-29-2007, 04:25 AM
Having worked in the private utility industry for some years, safety glasses have savedmy eyes on more than one occasion. After I retired I still continue to get safety lenses for my regular glasses. Used to shoot steel plates, on some matches getting struck by backsplatter was fairly common on some stages. I stopped getting the plastic lenses after the first pair. After about 6 months they were so scratched up as to be unusable. Never had the tempered lenses fail. Frank

Lloyd Smale
06-29-2007, 05:22 AM
Ive got a huge head too. Ive had problems in the past even finding helmets that fit me right. His suggestion as to checking into uvex is a good one. We get there saftey glasses at work and if you get a sample of a few youll find one that works. They even have photo grey lenses that adj. automaticaly for light to dark and there amazingly cheap. (real cheap for me)

targetshootr
06-29-2007, 09:44 PM
My haid isn't my biggest asset as much as my overall figure (http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/targetshootr/giant_belly.jpg).

[smilie=1:

Bass Ackward
06-29-2007, 10:12 PM
Glass and protection for large heads? How about something like this fella has on.

http://www.navydiver.org/equipment/default.html

If that don't fit, can't help ya. :grin: