PDA

View Full Version : Camera suggestions anyone?

starmac
12-15-2012, 04:09 PM
I am looking to get my wife a new (better) digital camera.

What I would like is one that is simple and easy to use, and fairly quick to get into gear.
I also want it to be of good enough quality to take decent pictures of the northern lights, The lights come out pretty poor on the one she currently has, and it is very slow to get it ready to snap a picture.

I want it to work for her purposes, but am not looking to spend a fortune either. lol In other words I'M CHEAP.

Jailer
12-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Point and shoot or DSLR?

A decent tripod will go a long way in getting better pictures.

LUCKYDAWG13
12-15-2012, 07:18 PM
my wife got me a nikon D90 for Christmas 2 years ago i love it
lots better then my AE-1 :-P

41 mag fan
12-15-2012, 07:38 PM
Starmac,
Thats a good idea for a christmas present for your wife. Anyway possible you get her a new camera and she takes pics of the lights you could post them??
I've seen them only a few times in my life, they don't show this far south very often. First time I got a REALLY good view of them was in N MN visiting my inlaws. I was totally mesmerized by them. They were just white light but it was a memorable viewing for me.

Could be like me though...all my wifes getting this year is an air popper popcorn maker...couldn't think of didly squat to buy her and being laid up, this Christmas will be slim from not being able to get around much...

Almost though picked her up a leaf blower, rake and a hoe but I thought she'd enjoy them to much!! :bigsmyl2:

wv109323
12-15-2012, 07:48 PM
One of the Canon Sureshots is hard to beat for the money. I just saw one on QVC, 16 Mp for $234.00. IIRC the model number was SX-500 IS. I have an older model that I have had for 4-5 years and can not complain.

felix
12-15-2012, 09:06 PM
The choice between getting a SLR and a Shurematic made by any known good brand is getting severely cloudy as time marches on. The computers within these cameras are getting much better programs that properly mate the lens to what the eye DESIRES to see rendered. Making the analog lens is the culprit for good pictures still, but it is much more better to make small physical lenses exactly what the computer programs can handle for the results desired. If "professional work" is not in the cards, I would today go with the box cameras. Every year they will improve dramatically, whereas the "mainframes" are crawling in comparison. (This is not the situation in the world of computer power as for itself; the mainframes are leap-frogging the smaller computer frames in shear power and speed.) ... felix

williamwaco
12-15-2012, 09:33 PM
If she is going to use it outside, be sure it has a view finder, You cannot see what you are shooting with the video displays in the sunlight.

shotman4
12-15-2012, 09:34 PM
the Nikon coolpix is about best on market. There are several models. You need to see what you want to pay . Anything worth bringing home is going to be in the $300 +range.
If you can get one that uses 2 AA batteries. will save cussing later
Next is Cannon Power shot I chose it, was ON sale and used batteries LOL
as said TRIPOD if you want to do the lights . or a very good moving pic

quack1
12-15-2012, 09:54 PM
I got my first digital camera 4 or 5 years ago. It is a Canon power shot, 8mp and I was pleasantly surprised with what it can do. I mainly wanted a small "pocket" camera to take hunting and fishing so a digital SLR was out of the question. I have played around with photography since I was in high school and previously I had a pretty good film SLR with several lenses, and didn't expect much from this camera. I was wrong, it takes really good pictures, even of insects and wild flowers on the macro setting. The small amount of zoom built into the camera is pretty worthless, but that, and the (hard for me to get used to) fact you have to change camera settings from a menu rather than turning rings on the lens are my only complaints.
In the few years since I got mine, I'm sure cameras have improved, so my only suggestion would be have a list of features you want, compare specs for different brands and choose whichever combination of features and price you want.

Artful
12-15-2012, 09:57 PM
I'm happy with Panasonic Lumix - enough that we bought a second one, that I use when motorcycle riding - just in case I take a dirt nap.
shot from standing still
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/rowdyfisk/roosevelt%20lake%20trip/P1050334.jpg
shot at dusk at 50 mph from the motorcycle
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/rowdyfisk/moto%20crazy/Adventure%20ride%20Dec%2010%202011/P1000633.jpg
shot at 45 mph from motorcycle in the morning
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/rowdyfisk/moto%20crazy/Adventure%20ride%20Dec%2010%202011/P1000506.jpg
It uses rechargeable battery but the charger is small enough to go in the case with it and I use a 12vDC to 120vAC converter in the car to charge it up on trips.

Some reviews
http://point-and-shoot-camera-review.toptenreviews.com/
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-compact-cameras/
http://www.pcworld.com/product/collection/1603/top-10-point-and-shoot-cameras.html
http://www.squidoo.com/best-point-and-shoot-digital-camera-2011
http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/search/point-and-shoot
http://www.photographyblog.com/articles_best_digital_camera.php
this looks interesting
http://gizmodo.com/point_and_shoots/

375RUGER
12-16-2012, 10:46 AM
Year or 2 ago I got my wife a Nikon D3100. She loves it.

You'll at least want to choose something with manual settings even if it's a point and shoot. Manual settings is the only way I can get decent sunrise/sunset pics.

boltons75
12-16-2012, 03:00 PM
I love the Sony cybershots myself. But there are so many great cameras anymore. If you do get one that runs off of AA's, pick up some Sanyo eneloop rechargeables, they hold a charge really good.

Sent from my Samsung, (Apples are meant to be eaten), Galaxy S3...

Love Life
12-16-2012, 03:16 PM
We have the Nikon Coolpix P500. It is a great camera.

27judge
12-16-2012, 03:20 PM
cannon powershot SX30IS very good for the mony tks ken

fouronesix
12-16-2012, 03:58 PM
starmac,
Another vote for the Panasonic Lumix line. Extremely good lenses and they are user friendly. Just wish they used AAs :(

Artful
12-16-2012, 04:20 PM
starmac,
Another vote for the Panasonic Lumix line. Extremely good lenses and they are user friendly. Just wish they used AAs :(

You know I used to have a Sony that had rechargable and you could also use AA's but if you used AA's and used the flash much at all it just
drained the life out of the batteries - so I wound up with a camera case full of AA's - I don't miss being costco's best battery customer.

fouronesix
12-16-2012, 04:33 PM
You know I used to have a Sony that had rechargable and you could also use AA's but if you used AA's and used the flash much at all it just
drained the life out of the batteries - so I wound up with a camera case full of AA's - I don't miss being costco's best battery customer.

The problem with the rechargeables is that they do wear out and get less and less efficient over time, then you end up charging more and more often and becoming the best customer of the dedicated, model specific battery company. Also, in remote areas there are no receptacles to plug a charger into. I've found the new high-end Lithium AAs do very well and the AA is one of the most universal batteries anywhere if needed in a crunch.

starmac
12-16-2012, 06:26 PM
Dumb question here, but can't you get rechargeable double a's, or am I completely out of the loop. lol
Thanks for all the suggestions, the possibilities are mind boggling for a guy as tech challenged as I am. lol

Kraschenbirn
12-16-2012, 07:03 PM
I've got an Olympus Stylus 790SW that I've been using on my consulting jobs (60-100 site pics a week) for the last 3 or 4 years and it's been a regular workhorse. Simple operation with good resolution with combined optical/electronic zoom. It does use a rechargeable battery but replacements are available through Radio Shack at less than half the price of OEM. The model I've got has been discontinued :-( but the current 'TG' series are, essentially, upgraded versions of the same camera.

Bill

dagger dog
12-16-2012, 07:20 PM
You can't go wrong with Cannon or Nikon, you have to shop to get the features you want.

The view finder,or LCD screen types are great for snapshots, their small size and easy operation makes for a small package that you can have on you when the opportunity presents it's self.

Larger SLRs can really do what the veiw finders can't and that's where you get the real quality photos that look like post cards,plus they have the ability of speed for stop action and aperture settings for special effects.

A little tip get one with the ability to use lithium batteries, you won't regret the choice.

boltons75
12-17-2012, 10:32 AM
The problem with the rechargeables is that they do wear out and get less and less efficient over time, then you end up charging more and more often and becoming the best customer of the dedicated, model specific battery company. Also, in remote areas there are no receptacles to plug a charger into. I've found the new high-end Lithium AAs do very well and the AA is one of the most universal batteries anywhere if needed in a crunch.

I've been using the AA rechargeable eneloop batteries for a couple of years now. It's all I use in my cameras and my field gpsr, they hold a charge for up to a year while in storage, and last as long if not longer than the lithium AA's.

garym1a2
12-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Cannon, Sonny and Nikon are names to look for. But I almost never use my camera as its too big to carry all the time. I recommend a good cell phone for most as the better ones take good pictures and a good camera in your pocket is better than a great camera that you don't have at the time the sceince appears.

sparky45
12-17-2012, 10:55 AM
Three words: Nikon, Canon, Sony. Look them over and select the features you desire and the price point and purchase. I presently have a Sony Cypershot(excellent camera) and a Nikon D3000. The Nikon is more sophisticated than myself, but what a camera.

boltons75
12-17-2012, 04:00 PM
Cannon, Sonny and Nikon are names to look for. But I almost never use my camera as its too big to carry all the time. I recommend a good cell phone for most as the better ones take good pictures and a good camera in your pocket is better than a great camera that you don't have at the time the sceince appears.

I agree with this statement 110%, but there is that odd occasion that I will take the Sony with me, when I want a good picture and need a good optical zoom. But usually anymore this phone is my go-to device.

Any Cal.
12-18-2012, 04:41 AM
If you want to take pictures of the northern lights, you need a DSLR. If you ditch that idea, a lot of the point and shoots will work, just not for things that move much or are dimly lit. The Canon G series sits between the point & shoots and Dslrs in most every way. If you don't mind learning how to use the camera, and don't mind the size, the low-end Nikon dslrs are a good bang for the buck, especially with the kit lenses. Get the kit w/ 18-55, learn to use it, then add a 55-200 and a CPL, you will be set for indoors and outside when it is daylight.

If you get a Dslr, don't worry about megapixels, 6+ is fine.

Wal'
12-18-2012, 05:12 AM
Go to the many camera forums & as here all you want to know is available.

Myself..... like my reloading & casting am a cheap a**se & use a Pentax DSLR, before they were overan by the Canikons they were the best lens builders out there & today their lens are still hard to beat, but thats just me.

Basically all the DLSR's are the same, just comes down to price.

Check out the Pentax site which will have all the answers you need.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/

smokeywolf
12-18-2012, 05:18 AM
Keep in mind, lens quality is more important than CCD or CMOS density (resolution).

smokeywolf