PDA

View Full Version : New Addition

IcerUSA
06-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Just picked this up at GM :

Spartan Gunworks Model SPR 18, made by : Izhevsky Mekhanichesky Zavod in Russia.
Now the biggie question : Anyone have any knowledge on this weapon ?
It is chambered in 223 Rem. .
Will be testing it out this weekend as long as things go right :) Still have to cast some boolits and get them lubed and GCed.
Looked at the Rossi's that where on sale at GM and seen this there, the Rossi's rear sight is back on the receiver and with my tired old eyes they where a blur, pick this on up and the rear sight is out on the barrel and I can see it plane as can be, plus it is a little heavier than the Rossi, which I also like, gun is tight, looks to be hardly used, wide foregrip on it feels very nice in my hand, not to thin or to big.
Hoping it's a shooter, will fit nicely between the 17HMR and the 22-250. :)

I will report back on how she develops using cast boolits. :Fire:

45nut
06-27-2007, 01:16 PM
Boy that wood sure is a mis-match huh?
Those spartans are made by one of the biggest arsenals in Russia, it is a utility grade gun not a showpiece. There was talk of a side by side in 45-70 and 30-06 but I haven't heard anything about them lately.

fishhawk
06-27-2007, 01:41 PM
ahhhhhh... a side by side in 45-70......I WANT ONE! any more news on one let me know! fishhawk

No_1
06-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Can you imagine dropping the hammer on both barrels at the same time with full house 45-70 loads?

ahhhhhh... a side by side in 45-70......I WANT ONE! any more news on one let me know! fishhawk

fishhawk
06-27-2007, 02:24 PM
do any thing once! maybe twice if it doesn't hurt to bad...... but a side by side 45-70...now thats a moose gun...... i still want one...suppose i could make up a set of barrel liners for a side by side shot gun

Finn45
06-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Heh, that one is known as Baikal ij-18 single shot rifle here around. Based on old Baikal single shot shotgun action. If you buy Baikal here you might get what ever between sour lemon and sweet peach. Non straight barrels, mis aligned chambers and rough surfaces are not very rare. Mis-match in Baikal wood? You got to be kidding... Baikals usually has the most match free wood, fittings, metal works etc. But I've a hunch that Spartan and other brand importers do watch a bit closer what they are dumping in to the US market. These have been rebarreled to many calibers here as well, one of the latest is one promisingly accurate .357Mag and one of my buddies is waiting for a .50-110Win... Talking about recoil treatment I suppose. Well, if it shoots it shoots and there's always some tweaking in order if it doesn't, so give it a fair chance, Baikal might surprise so many ways... Btw they sell also Baikal ij-94 Taiga, which is an inexpensive shotgun/rifle combo gun in 12/3"+ many rifle calibers...:

http://www.riistamaa.fi/cat/images/izh94_0604_53d.gif

Few guys here are waiting for the side by side Baikal in .45-70 as well; wonder if they ever release 'em on the market reliably... Well, any decent gunsmith can make side by side .45-70 in many shotgun actions and over/unders have been numerously made in many Baikal, Tikka and especially Valmet etc. actions already. Very neat moose guns I agree. But still I prefer Marlin lever...

Buckshot
06-28-2007, 03:19 AM
..............Used to be imported and distributed by European American Armory (they do the Tanfoglio line of pistols). I guess it was about a couple years ago EAA stopped handling them. Remington picked up a couple of the items but not all. They did have several over-under rifle shotgun combos, and had 45-70 barrel inserts for their SASS type double barreled hammer shotguns.

..................Buckshot

IcerUSA
06-29-2007, 08:44 PM
Took the little thing to the range today and so far I'm pleased with the way it shoots lead boolits. Will have to move the targets out to 50 yds next and see if I can hold the 1 1/2" groups.
Tried some 748 and some Varget, with Varget being a little better in the pattern group by a tad, but that was just the begining :) More to come as I play with loads and boolits. :Fire: :castmine: :drinks: