PDA

View Full Version : any reason not to get a .58 flinter

RU shooter
12-15-2012, 09:20 AM
OK team ,So I have been on the search for a flintlock ,I mainly was looking for a 45 cal for target work and possibly hunting if I find the time for that.So I come across a .58 its either a TC or a Cabellas model not certain which yet but the price is very reasonable and its just a darn good looking rifle with some real nice wood on it . My main issue is I just dont need to launch that much lead or burn that much powder for shooing paper and dealing with the extra recoil . Can a .58 be down loaded well and still be accurate. So basically talk me out of a .58 Should I walk on this one and keep looking for a .45 of grab it and down load it .

Tim

OverMax
12-15-2012, 10:42 AM
If it's a T/C only. At a good price I'd snap it up. Special order if your allowed yet a Green Mtn replacement barrel in 45 later when flush with cash again. Have them both. 58 is indeed an arm full. But like any other traditional caliber B/P barrel you can indeed down load it to get reasonable accuracy from it. I have a B/Bore 58 T/C myself. (sits in the closet though. Sorry sir having to say this. >I like my little 45 too much to bother myself with its Big Brother.)

hornady308
12-15-2012, 12:08 PM
I have an Investarms .58 made in Italy and it is very accurate and very dependable. If that is who made the Cabela's, then I would definitely consider it. Has a large I stamped on the barrel. Same company that makes some of the Lyman guns. Handles round balls and Lee REAL conicals very well. Round balls can be shot with 50 grains of 3f for target work.

HARRYMPOPE
12-15-2012, 01:52 PM
looks like the one on GB was sold.

George

fouronesix
12-15-2012, 02:08 PM
OK team ,So I have been on the search for a flintlock ,I mainly was looking for a 45 cal for target work and possibly hunting if I find the time for that.So I come across a .58 its either a TC or a Cabellas model not certain which yet but the price is very reasonable and its just a darn good looking rifle with some real nice wood on it . My main issue is I just dont need to launch that much lead or burn that much powder for shooing paper and dealing with the extra recoil . Can a .58 be down loaded well and still be accurate. So basically talk me out of a .58 Should I walk on this one and keep looking for a .45 of grab it and down load it .

Tim

I shoot a 58 that weighs 7 lbs. With a 400 gr minie and 60 gr FF, I have no issue with recoil and am probably middle-of-the-road recoil tolerant. Some folks are very recoil sensitive so who knows what any individual's recoil tolerance is. A charge of 60 gr FF under a 260 gr PRB produces even less recoil. In my light weight 58 cal slow twist, accuracy with both RBs and minies is excellent with charges in range of 50-60 grs.

HARRYMPOPE
12-15-2012, 03:06 PM
My 1858 PH and a 560g Minie ball isn't a bruiser with 60g of powder but due to the stock design(and my low cheek bone) i get cheek slap.Still i manage 40 shot sessions with no real problem.A patched RB hardly kicks at all with 80g of FF.

RU shooter
12-15-2012, 03:51 PM
looks like the one on GB was sold.

George
Yep thats the one I talked to the guy about, I guess it wasnt meant to be. I was gonna pull the trigger on it this evening. The search for my flinter goes on!

Thanks anyways

Maven
12-15-2012, 04:28 PM
"Can a .58 be down loaded well and still be accurate?"

The short answer is yes. However, you'll first need to determine the ideal RB dia. and patch thickness for that bbl. Btw, I rarely load any of my ML's (or even CF rifle and revolver cartridges) to max. levels and generally vary the load with the distance. Accuracy has thus far been excellent.

StrawHat
12-15-2012, 09:33 PM
I have an older Navy Arms 1803 Harpers Ferry Flintlock. These came in 58 because at the time.the iItalians were not making 54 caliber barrels. I regularly use mine with 80 grains and a PRB. Can it be down loaded? I don't know, I have never tried it. Can it be used with conicals? Again, I have not tried it. The PRB does all I need a 58 to do.

I have seen these rifle/musket from time to time on the web and in local shops. They are out there if you are willing to hunt for them.