PDA

View Full Version : gun prices today.

starmac
12-15-2012, 02:51 AM
Fred Myers usually has a few models on sale with good prices, so I like to walk by and see what has the orange tag.

The savage axis's smaller calibers were marked at 239 and larger ones were 269.
The marlin X something or other 7 was at either 269 or 289.

Do these things go bang. lol

JesterGrin_1
12-15-2012, 04:18 AM
The Marlin XL-XS 7 Line was a good rifle. Probably the best for the money spent. Plus the barrel has a barrel nut with the same threads as a Savage. So you can get a used Savage Barrel to put on or purchase a new one from many companies that sell them.

I have one XL-7 that I left factory in 30-06 for a back up rifle or to lend out if need be.

The other Xl-7 that was chambered in 270 Win I had turned into a 35 Whelen AI. :)

starmac
12-15-2012, 04:43 AM
Yea, I was just kidding. I think it is funny that marlin copied them old cheap savages. lol IIRC the ruger all american copied savages barrel too didn't it.

At those prices they would be hard to beat for usable guns.

Bad Water Bill
12-15-2012, 04:58 AM
Yes everyone hates them old cheap savages till they look at their 100 yd targets.:bigsmyl2:

Big Rack
12-17-2012, 12:42 PM
It is odd that Savages were second class until author's started posting targets, didn't slow Savage from painting them black and raising the price though.

Hardcast416taylor
12-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Quite a few years back I bought a Savage 112 heavy barrel combo gun in .223. I put a better and higher powered scope on it first of all. The trigger pull was like dragging a cement block across a gravel road. I got one of the first Timney triggers made for the 110 series rifles that I`ve adjusted lighter than the factory set 4 lbs. Now I have a very nice shooting varmit rifle for crows and chucks and occassionly fox and coyote. Robert

starmac
12-17-2012, 03:33 PM
It is odd that Savages were second class until author's started posting targets, didn't slow Savage from painting them black and raising the price though.

Raising the prices. lol The prices I posted would probably been less than 10 bucks back in 1960 or so in real dollars.

Bad Water Bill
12-17-2012, 04:29 PM

Strange I have Savage guns from around 1906 till 2 years ago and all of them are BLUED unless they are SS.

This includes a 99 take down thru 10,110,smokeless M L and the new 22. NO paint anywhere but they all shoot way better than I can. But unfortunately they sell for hundreds less than REMCHESTERS so they must be junk.

The REMCHESTER crowd still hates Savages and will never miss a chance to put down a Savage.

leadman
12-17-2012, 04:36 PM
I have a 110DL in 30-06 made about 1966 that still shoots less than MOA. It shoots cast better than jacketed. And the factory trigger on this one is fully adjustable.

PS Paul
12-17-2012, 04:43 PM
We sell a TON of savage rifles. Gotta say, that accu-trigger is pretty hard to beat, and DEFINITELY unbeatable in the price range...... Let the rem-jesters have their rifles- and opinions. Gotta give 'em somethin' to talk about, eh?

starmac
12-17-2012, 04:49 PM
Personally I love the savage is second class attitude, it may help contribute a little to holding the price down. I only have a few, and have not shot the latest yet, but the rest shoot as good as I do and do everything I ask out of a firearm. My 99 that I have owned for most of my life, is by far my favorite out of my levers.

1Shirt
12-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Agree with starmac! Love my Rugers, but dollar for dollar, and out of the box, it is real hard to beat Savages/Stevens right out of the box. Wish I had more of them!
1Shirt1

Silvercreek Farmer
12-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Unreal that $300 will buy you a decent enough hunting rifle. I paid $400 for a Weatherby Vanguard over ten years ago that was considered to be one of the best "bargain" rifles at the time. The only thing I can really think of to keep in mind is that these rifles generally come with a thin barrel, great for weight, but heat up faster when doing any type of sustained fire.

starmac
12-17-2012, 06:01 PM
239 and 269,,,,, 289 for the marlin all less than 300, some considerably. I noticed yesterday at either sportsmans or sports authority (don't remember which) that there was a weatherby something or other for 299. I didn't look to see what caliber as I wasn't interested.