PDA

View Full Version : Chicken of the year award

cdet69
12-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Tonight I went out coyote hunting. The area is shotgun only and makes it a little more trying. I set up and had my first howls right off the bat coming from the direction I expected. About five minutes later I had a set of glowing eyes from the direction expected. I let the caller keep going but the coyote had hung up. About fifteen seconds later one stated howling behind me at about 15 yards. The one in front then started howling also and it was about thirty feet away. It was not a warning howl but more like one that said here he is. I could not see the one behind me because of all of the heavy brush and once the howling started then the one in front of me vanished. Well I picked up my caller always checking my back and hi tailed it out of there. If I had a rifle it might have been a different story but a shotgun just did not cut it. So I have learned my lesson. A do not hunt in haeavy brush with no visibility, If using a shotgun make sure it has some sort of optics and never leave the back door exposed.

jmsj
12-14-2012, 10:58 PM
cdet69,
I wont tell my daughter about this. Here is a picture of her when she was 9 w/ the first coyote she shot. she killed it with 1 shot through the heart @ 6 feet away. It had been closer than that staring at her trying to figure out what she was. There was another coyote in the oak brush behind us and 2 more out in front of us.

http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae97/jmsj515/067.jpg

cdet69
12-14-2012, 11:04 PM
I guess I should have mentioned it was pitch black at night with no moon. If that makes it any better.

jmsj
12-14-2012, 11:15 PM
Yeah that makes a big difference!
I used to shoot coyotes at night while checking heifers during the calving season. My favorite gun was an 11/87 12 gauge shooting 3" magnums and #2 lead shot with a modified choke it was lethal to 40 yds.

cdet69
12-14-2012, 11:21 PM
I just wish I could see what it was before I was busted. There are too many domestic dogs around to make a questionable shot. Around here you need to make sure your target is always a 100% shot.

runfiverun
12-14-2012, 11:22 PM
that's about the time i'd be glad i had a shotgun rather than a rifle.
shoulda spooked them and took them on the run.

cdet69
12-14-2012, 11:38 PM
All I could do after hearing and seeing them was to back out gracefully :(! with my shotgun at the ready. It seems that I need some sort of scope to help me identify my target to seal the deal with a shotgun. The problem is I need to use 100 percent plus of my target and then some.

Love Life
12-15-2012, 12:57 AM
Agree with what was said above. Spook them and pop them on the run.

We never know what will come to the call. We get coyotes (intended targets), bobcats, a mountain lion (once), a deer (once), and rabbits. It is just plain old weird, but I'll never complain about a target rich environment.

Are you thinking about a red dot sight or are you looking for magnification?

starmac
12-15-2012, 01:30 AM
I have to agree with R5R especially in the dark. Lovelife around here you stand a good chance of a grizzly coming in on a dead run, it is best to call after they are mostly asleep for the winter. lol

Love Life
12-15-2012, 01:35 AM
Will a grizzly bear still eat you if you messed yourself?

gandydancer
12-15-2012, 01:52 AM
:

I'm not sure about that one?? But if you did mess your pants at least that will give you some time to get away. the ol Grizz would be a slipping and a sliding on what you left behind. :dung_hits_fan:

starmac
12-15-2012, 02:23 AM

I never asked one, but a forum member on another forum called one in unintentionally while he had a 222. He said it would never happen again, and he was talking about calling one in, not using a 222. lol

41 mag fan
12-15-2012, 07:55 AM
:

I'm not sure about that one?? But if you did mess your pants at least that will give you some time to get away. the ol Grizz would be a slipping and a sliding on what you left behind. :dung_hits_fan:

Slipping and sliding??? Or picking out the corn and green beans.....ewwwwwwww

crabo
12-15-2012, 09:02 AM
It sounds like to me that you need a gun mounted light more than a rifle.

cdet69
12-15-2012, 09:35 AM
Have the light just need some magnification to see the target better. Looking at a red dot with some sort of magnification. Amazing how the table can turn so fast on you.

gew98
12-15-2012, 10:12 AM
I just wish I could see what it was before I was busted. There are too many domestic dogs around to make a questionable shot. Around here you need to make sure your target is always a 100% shot.

I've managed a couple coyotes and a like number of 'domestic dogs'. If they are in my woods yapping and chasing game...they buy the farm. There is enough white trash in my AO hunting illegally with dogs and the quickest way to get their attention is to silence their tools. pretty rare I see a dog running in the woods these days.... but I hear them often enough to rankle my feathers... until I catch up with them.