PDA

View Full Version : Waiting Period

double8
12-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Just wondering why I must wait 30 days AND post 25 times just to advertise a couple of guns for sale that will interest those on this forum?
I don't have much to say, but learn much reading the forum.
Not judging, just wonderin'.

olaf455
12-13-2012, 04:20 PM
I suspect it is to avoid spammers and such.

Sent from a cold damp basement near you.

gray wolf
12-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Could it be it's a forum rule ?

starmac
12-13-2012, 05:40 PM
I am not a member of very many forums, But those that I am all have a rule that is very close, I suspect to help keep up on the spammers, and those that only join to sell something. The swap and sell is pretty much done on the honor system.

FISH4BUGS
12-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Just wondering why I must wait 30 days AND post 25 times just to advertise a couple of guns for sale that will interest those on this forum?
Pretty simple actually.....if you (I don't mean you personally) take advantage of the access to the members here, all of whom have either been a member for some time or have posted a fair number of times, then you should be an active member. Many of us that really support this site hate to see someone blow in, sell a few things, then never hear from them again. It is a matter of fairness to this site and its members. You can always go to gbroker or some other auction site if the rules are burdensome.
Being on this site as a member and posting creates your "resume" for review. If you find that it is too much work or too unreasonable, freedom and happiness lies behind the red X in the upper right hand corner.
....and besides.....them's the rules. And furthermore ....everyone has something to add.
Pay your dues and come on in!

alrighty
12-13-2012, 06:03 PM
Some think that a member who has been on board a while and makes posts is more trustworthy.I think there is some merit to have this rule.It does seem to work as all my dealings with members have been good.I also understand your point as I read much more than I post.Just don't take it personal.looks like you got the hardest post out of the way , the rest are easy.Enjoy your stay and welcome to the forum.

double8
12-13-2012, 06:32 PM
Some think that a member who has been on board a while and makes posts is more trustworthy.I think there is some merit to have this rule.It does seem to work as all my dealings with members have been good.I also understand your point as I read much more than I post.Just don't take it personal.looks like you got the hardest post out of the way , the rest are easy.Enjoy your stay and welcome to the forum.

Thanks,.....all that being said, I'll keep on readin', ask a few questions now and again, give some input when I can, earn the trust, and then I'll see if I can sell a couple guns.
This is a great forum and the information available is top notch!
Regards, and thanks again

Blacksmith
12-13-2012, 08:39 PM
The first things I check when I see something of interest in Swap and Sell is the posters join date and post count. The length of time and participation effort helps me judge how much "skin in the game" the poster has and depending on the cost of the item my risk level. A review of the Deadbeats section shows most are short timers.

runfiverun
12-13-2012, 08:47 PM
p.m. fishhawk.
he's the swap and sell moderator.
i think you have been a member long enough to qualify, you jus might need his okay/clearance/whatever.

waksupi
12-13-2012, 09:00 PM
I believe you joined at a date that put you beyond the grandfather clause, and more posts are required first. I think the cut off date was August, 2011.

wgr
12-13-2012, 09:21 PM
I do,nt if that rule makes a person trust worthy are not. But this is the only place i,ve been that a guy will send me a 200 dollar item ,take my personal check without ever seeing are talking to me in person. and he sent the item befor the check got to him. i think i like the rule

Highway41
12-13-2012, 11:10 PM
The first things I check when I see something of interest in Swap and Sell is the posters join date and post count. The length of time and participation effort helps me judge how much "skin in the game" the poster has and depending on the cost of the item my risk level. A review of the Deadbeats section shows most are short timers.

As a noob this is a practice i follow.

I really feel that I have found a brotherhood of like minded individuals here that show a lot of respect for each other. I have a gun trade I think would be great to post around this time of year but I will contentedly 'pay my dues' then post my item as having a good start on a decent reputation on this forum has become very important to me personally.

Sent by high speed racing turtle via Tapatalk2.

double8
12-15-2012, 04:35 PM
I do,nt if that rule makes a person trust worthy are not. But this is the only place i,ve been that a guy will send me a 200 dollar item ,take my personal check without ever seeing are talking to me in person. and he sent the item befor the check got to him. i think i like the rule

That is exactly why I thought of this forum.....you just don't throw out an ad in a local newspaper or whatever to sell a gun. Been there, tried that. You advertise where the interest lies. I've been shooting black powder for almost 50 years....started with an "original" .36 cal Kentucky, then on to a Hopkins and Allen .45 cal. underhammer, then the Zouave, and tried one of the first Thompson Centers. etc........many after that.
I can wait, if thems the rules......