PDA

View Full Version : Cabelas pricing

Olevern
12-13-2012, 01:36 PM
Stopped in to Cabelas, Hamburg, Pa, yesterday just to look around. Nothing caught my eye in the used gun dept. I did see a Marlin model 94 in 45 colt that I would have been a buyer on at $500.00 or even $550.00 but it was priced at $595.00, just a bit rich for my blood. Not mint but probably exc+.

I counted 14 Win. model 94 levers in 30-30, ranging from as new to beat up/abused. All were priced at $449.00.
I guess if it's a Win 94 it's worth $449.00

Looked around and found the latest Hornady manual for about half price ($14.95) and picked up three packages of 30-39 cal. muzzleloader pre-lubed patches. I bought a pack each of five, ten and fifteen thousandths thicknesses to use in my .32 Cherokee. Overpriced at $7.95 a pack of 50, but the ten thousandths size were on sale for $4.95.

Found some new Rem. brass for the .35 Rem, bought a bag. Overpriced, but I needed them. ($39.00)

Looked at some uberti cap and ball revolvers but didn't pull the trigger on them...too close to Christmas and mostly spent out. Maybe after the first of the year. Trying to avoid using the plastic, but, had I found a really good buy on a used gun I wanted, would have used credit. Gotta rebuild the personal gun fund.

I have found some really good buys on off-the-wall stuff at Cabelas in the past....I think occasionally the 20 year nite clerk takes stuff in trade and prices them. Mostly find stuff overpriced, though. Like the 9" Ruger Super Redhawk in the case (used) priced for $795.00 (really?). 'corse, maybe that makes sense when they had a new one priced at $980.00. Nobody (except I guess, Cabelas) asks full retail for Ruger products.

As usual, had to take a stroll thru the trophy deer (and other) taxidermy displays.

Some amazing stuff.

popper
12-13-2012, 06:54 PM
Every once in a while I check the surplus/return dept for bargains.

legend 550
12-13-2012, 07:36 PM
It's fun to shop there and have a good hands on look. Then order somewhere else. Way overpriced. Emergency supplies and bargains only.

dragon813gt
12-13-2012, 08:17 PM
I had the same Marlin in my hands last night as well. They have absolutely no deals, but a large selection. That's the trade off. They had four Savage 99s in 300 Savage but they were priced $50 to high for their shape. One should have been $100 less. I don't know where you live. But if it's SE of Cabela's for a really good laugh go to French Creek Outfitters. They wanted $50 over retail for a new production 1894 in 44 mag. And the "expert" behind the counter wasn't aware that Remington now owns Marlin. Told me it's probably a good thing as quality will only get better because Marlin always made bad rifles.

I did walk out of Cabela's w/ three sets of Talon quick detach sling swivels. Need them to make some paracord rifle slings as Christmas presents. Also bought some steel cleaning sollution for my ultrasonic cleaner. Tried it on some parts for work and am not impressed.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

41 mag fan
12-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Everything but guns and sporting and you're fine. fishing and all clothing is good prices. At least thru them you pay out the wazoo for the clothing but you know its quality. Fishing gear is definitley good prices that i've seen.

John Allen
12-13-2012, 08:43 PM
They had a really nice Sharps in 50/70 in the gun library but it was priced a little too high. I walked away before I did something stupid!

imashooter2
12-13-2012, 08:53 PM
My work gives out quality awards points that can be used to buy company branded doodads and trinkets... or Cabela's gift cards. Cabela's prices are actually very reasonable after you pay 50% with company gift cards. :)

Hate the game, not the player. :cool:

John Allen
12-13-2012, 09:40 PM
I save up my rewards points on their credit card and usually buy something big once a year. There is nothing more satisfying than seeing a couple hundred dollar sale turn into owing you 20 bucks!

gandydancer
12-13-2012, 10:18 PM
[QUOTE=dragon813gt;1956410]I had the same Marlin in my hands last night as well. They have absolutely no deals, but a large selection. That's the trade off. They had four Savage 99s in 300 Savage but they were priced $50 to high for their shape. One should have been $100 less. I don't know where you live. But if it's SE of Cabela's for a really good laugh go to French Creek Outfitters. They wanted $50 over retail for a new production 1894 in 44 mag. And the "expert" behind the counter wasn't aware that Remington now owns Marlin. And it's probably a good thing as quality will only get better because Marlin always made bad rifles.

Remington now owns Marlin. And it's probably a good thing as quality will only get better because Marlin always made bad rifles.

That's one hell of a bold statement dragon813gt. also not true. marlin has made some of the finest firearms in the world. I have a few myself in models 93--94's I even have one in a model 93 mfg in june of 1892 in 44/40 and it shoots great and I only use black powder when I do shoot it. and on another note. Remington & marlin & H & R all belong to the freedom group and they belong to the company that purchased Chrysler auto mfg co. and they are making a bit of junk in firearms. and Remington model 770 rifles you would not believe what it cost Remington to make that rifle. Now if I have upset anyone with this post that is not my intend. its just that remark is just wrong. GD

dragon813gt
12-13-2012, 10:23 PM
He made the comment about quality, not me.

gandydancer
12-13-2012, 11:27 PM
He made the comment about quality, not me.

That's what I get for reading your post to dang fast.. I apologize sir. GD

Love Life
12-13-2012, 11:46 PM
I save up my rewards points on their credit card and usually buy something big once a year. There is nothing more satisfying than seeing a couple hundred dollar sale turn into owing you 20 bucks!

Yesiree indeed!!! That's why 400 pieces of Lapua 308 brass is on the way to my house for a grand total of...wait for it...wait for it...wait for it... $17.32!!!

Even though I have the cash I buy just about everything on my Cabela's card and pay it off immediately. Those bonus points add up quick. One day I'll be a signature customer....

shooter93
12-14-2012, 08:22 PM
I get some things from them with points from my credit card and I will say we have made some very good deals on guns listed in the Gun Library by offering less than the asking price and they always have accecpted our offer.

largom
12-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Yesiree indeed!!! That's why 400 pieces of Lapua 308 brass is on the way to my house for a grand total of...wait for it...wait for it...wait for it... $17.32!!!

Even though I have the cash I buy just about everything on my Cabela's card and pay it off immediately. Those bonus points add up quick. One day I'll be a signature customer....

Same here! I save up my points and get powder and primers for free. Got a Leupold scope for free once.

Larry

ROGER4314
12-14-2012, 09:03 PM
Last month, I traded in my Cabelas points for the biggest chunk of a MEC 600jr 12 gauge reloader. That's one of my Christmas gifts so I put it away until the Jolly gent makes his run!

I got a nice Cabela's surprise today, too. I wanted to get a new 28" barrel for my Remington 1100 but I wanted a screw in Remchoke barrel with ventilated rib. My current barrel is a vented rib but it has a straight, modified choke.

Normally Midway USA is my "go to" source for such things so I started shopping. Surprise! Midway had the barrel with one choke for $277. They don't charge Texans tax but I'd need to pay shipping.

Cabela's had the same barrel with 3 choke tubes for $239. They charge Texans tax but they had a free shipping promotion. I ordered it and saved $38 for the same item! It pays to shop!

Flash

William Yanda
12-14-2012, 09:20 PM
I work away from home during the installation season, 4 nights on the road each week. Company pays the motel, I accumulate rewards points and redeem them for Cabella's gift cards. Last month I ordered the ammo box of Federal .223. Back ordered to Nov. 25, then Dec. 12, then Dec. 25. I wonder if I will get it this year.
Tried to get some .22 LR at Wally World last week. Clerk said: We've been out for weeks, none at Warehouse or Distribution Center. Don't know when we will have any."

Revolver
12-14-2012, 09:56 PM

Haha, I do the same thing, plus you get free shipping. Also, they will do special orders, i had them order me the Pro-Melt pot and some other stuff. I run a small business and I use my Cabelas card for everything and pay it off each month just to get the points. In the last year I have gotten free...

Cannon 48 Gun Safe
RCBS Pro-Melt Pot
3 or 4 die sets
Crate of 880 7.62x54r Ammo
Slidefire Stock
Lead Sled DFT
Media Sifter
Chronograph
And lots of odds and ends

I feel like Cabelas must hate me, but it is their terms by which I am playing!

Love Life
12-15-2012, 01:17 AM
Cool beans Revolver!! I feel at this point we should start saying nasty things about Cabela's so they don't catch on...

If a place will accept a visa then it goes on the Cabela's card.

I'm not quite on Revolver's level yet, but my Cabela's clubfu is getting stronger. What hurts is when the Mrs. is along and insists she use her card because she gets airline miles. The things you do for love...

starmac
12-15-2012, 02:34 AM
Cool beans Revolver!! I feel at this point we should start saying nasty things about Cabela's so they don't catch on...

If a place will accept a visa then it goes on the Cabela's card.

I'm not quite on Revolver's level yet, but my Cabela's clubfu is getting stronger. What hurts is when the Mrs. is along and insists she use her card because she gets airline miles. The things you do for love...

Lovelife, there is a silver lining in every cloud. In another post you mentioned you wanted to visit alaska some day. I have a friend that flys back and forth from the lower 48 several times a year (sometimes a month) for the grand total of usually 15 bucks a round. lol

ROGER4314
12-15-2012, 12:47 PM
I live in a rural area and have no access to gun shops within a 60 mile round trip. Consequently, I order a lot of stuff via the Internet and it all goes on my Cabela's card. I pay it off promptly and get the things that I need that way.

Regarding .22LR ammo. My friend went to a Wally World near here and tried to get some .22LR. They were sold out and the manager told him that they hadn't had ANY .22 LR for weeks!

Flash

double8
12-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Quote:
[Remington & marlin & H & R all belong to the freedom group and they belong to the company that purchased Chrysler auto mfg co. and they are making a bit of junk in firearms. ]Quote

I wonder what the new MarRemsLer .34-13 will look like?

Gibson
12-15-2012, 08:37 PM
That's what I get for reading your post to dang fast.. I apologize sir. GD

Nevertheless, the guy who actually made the statement is a MORON ;)

William Yanda
01-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Cabela's emailed earlier-BO postponed til 1/25, emailed again yesterday-order cancelled because it is now "out of season"
I'm glad I saved the cards.
Regards
Bill

dakotashooter2
01-10-2013, 04:03 PM
My first stop is ALLWAYS the bargain cave. I rarely buy anything full retail at Cabela's. I buy their sales, which really just bring the items down to the competitions regular retail and use their coupons as often as possible. Sadly the local compeditor was able to RAISE his prices when Cabelas came to town and still compete.