PDA

View Full Version : Smelting in a large castiron pot over a open fire

GARD72977
12-13-2012, 10:22 AM
The last batch of range lead I smelted was in a big cast iron pot over a log fire. I used some bricks around the fire and a hair dryer to add oxygen to the base of the fire. Just wondering if any one else smelts with a similar method. I did about 200lbs of lead (1 pot) this way. Only real down side is that it take a couple of hours to melt the lead.

I have a Cast iron skillet bolted to a pipe. I drilled about 75 small holes in the skillet. after I skim the trash of the top I submerge the skillet until it is as hot as the lead (20 seconds) and then scoop the jacketed bullets and shake lightly over the pot. Almost all the lead comes out of the jacketed bullets this way.

I shoot this lead in a 40SW and a 300 whisper (GC) and it has worked very well for low velocity rounds. Im thinking seperating the lead and the jacketed to get some harder lead just using the lead scrape bullets.

If I smelt wheel weights with this method will it reduce the risk of melting zinc with the lead?

Im kind of new and just looking for suggestions or improvments I could make.

Thanks Larry

Wayne Smith
12-13-2012, 03:28 PM
If you can get a thermometer in the melt you can answer your own question. I'll bet you can get that over 720 degrees with a wood fire.

cbrick
12-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Get a thermometer. Without it your simply guessing and hoping.

Zinc melts at 787 degrees, keep your pot under 720 max and any zinc will float to the surface. If it's floating get it out.

Yes, it may take longer but that log fire will get hot eough to melt zinc.

Rick

Spruce
12-13-2012, 07:10 PM
"Get a thermometer. Without it you are simply guessing and hoping."

Great advice!! A member here, Swede Nelson in Vendor Sponsors sales nice ones at very reasonable price.

gon2shoot
12-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Yep, have done a lot over a wood fire. With the proper cautions it's fine.

williamwaco
12-13-2012, 07:46 PM
I have no problem with the method but your expectation of less chance of zinc contamination is misguided.

Unless you have a thermometer, you are MORE likely to melt zinc weights.

That wood fire could easily heat the melt to 1000 degrees.

GARD72977
12-13-2012, 08:17 PM
just ordered thermometer from Swede Nelson . Called Magna this morning and they could not ship a pot before Christmas so Im taking a day to decide if I want a the whole master caster.

cbrick
12-13-2012, 08:33 PM
I've never used the machine but I believe it requires Magma molds or molds modified to fit the machine. I'm sure someone that knows more about that than I do will chime in.

If your considering that route you should get the PID all ready installed.

Rick

shadygrady
12-15-2012, 01:17 PM
if you got zinc send it to me

alamogunr
12-15-2012, 01:34 PM
I don't know how it is other places but every new bucket of WW I sort, I get fewer and fewer zinc and more and more steel. Last ones were a year ago. I don't do that any more.

Beau Cassidy
12-16-2012, 07:56 PM
Magma makes casting pots in addition to machines. I have their 40 lb'er.

floydboy
12-18-2012, 12:50 PM
My wife says I look like Granny Clempent on smelting day. We have a large old fashion cast iron pot that has been in the family for generations. God knows how many hogs have been scalded in that pot over the years. It's main use for many years has been as my wifes flower pot. I have since claimed it as part of my smelting operation. I have a 20# propane take that I have cut in half and welded a rebar frame around it so it sets in and about 6 inches or so off the bottom of the cast iron pot. The arrangement is very stable, strong and safe. I build a fire inside the cast iron pot and around the propane pot. I melt the lead in the propane pot. Since the heat is contained in the cast iron pot it really doesn't take much of a fire to melt the lead. I always keep a bottle of water present to dampen the fire when needed. With a little practice it really isn't hard to regulate the heat to catch the zinc. I always sort before smelting but occasionaly one or two will get through and have to been skimmed off. After the lead is melting, cleaned and fluxed I just worry about just barely keeping it molten. When I first started I would get a pot a little hot and you would get that pretty blue and gold hue to it but let it cool and all is back to normal. I am now much better at controling my fire.
My fire source is free and I can smelt over 200# of WW at a time and do it quickly. As to suggestions if you pot is big enough to fit another pot inside it as I do use your cast iron pot as the fire containment device. This will lower your melt time to 15-20 minutes and decrease the amount of fire you need which should make working around the setup a lot more comfortable. With a small breeze to clear the smoke and fumes I smelt in the summer heat with out too much discomfortment. If I am imagining your setup I would think you have to start with a pretty good fire to get the pot hot. A piece of tin or other pot cover will also decrease melt time dramatically. I do not own a thermometer and probably won't. I am very pleased with my setup and results I get. Good luck.......Floyd