PDA

View Full Version : Coming To Alaska....

oksmle
12-13-2012, 01:10 AM
Mrs. oksmle is taking a cruise up to Alaska this next August. She wants to know if her Android phone will work up there or does she need one that speaks Alaskan.... She has been told that her phone is programed to not work in other countries/Europe. What happens when you natives call down to the lower 48? Are you charged extra?
oksmle

starmac
12-13-2012, 01:35 AM
LOL I still have a NM number. It depends on what plan you have, mine is no long distance or roaming, so no extra charges unless I am in canada, then the charges get wild quick.

Are you letting her come by herself, no no you don't want to do that. People have a habit of not returning once they get here. lol

Love Life
12-13-2012, 02:15 AM
LUCKY!!!! Visiting Alaska is definitely on my "Do before I die" list.

possom813
12-13-2012, 02:18 AM
She wants to know if her Android phone will work up there or does she need one that speaks Alaskan....

Kinda like converting your money to "Hawaiian" money :D

JeffinNZ
12-13-2012, 04:44 AM
Gee, she covers some ground. Didn't she visit my neck of the woods last year?

41 mag fan
12-13-2012, 07:12 AM
I think if I was to go to Alaska it'd have to be a one way ticket. Wonder if the Gold Rush boys are interestingin hiring a coal miner with 2 bad knees and heavy equip experience?

x101airborne
12-13-2012, 08:29 AM
I would move up there in a heartbeat. Then run like hell when the mosquitoes come out. I saw em on TV.... MAN some areas have em bad. I mean bad enough to run wildlife to DEATH trying to get away!
eeesssshh. (skin shiver).

41 mag fan
12-13-2012, 08:40 AM
I would move up there in a heartbeat. Then run like hell when the mosquitoes come out. I saw em on TV.... MAN some areas have em bad. I mean bad enough to run wildlife to DEATH trying to get away!

Man you're right there. The mosquitos and no see ums.....i don't think they make a powerful enough thermacell to keep them away

GARCIA
12-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Two must have items for her to take on the cruise:
Real good set of binoculars and a real good camera with extra lenses.

Cruised twice up there on Royal Carribbean and had a blast!
Spent a couple of days in and around Anchorage and the Matsu Valley area.
Never did find Sarah Palin.

Tom

x101airborne
12-13-2012, 09:50 AM
Two must have items for her to take on the cruise:
Real good set of binoculars and a real good camera with extra lenses.

Cruised twice up there on Royal Carribbean and had a blast!
Spent a couple of days in and around Anchorage and the Matsu Valley area.
Never did find Sarah Palin.

Tom

Cause I had her um, well, tied up. I mean busy. Well, you know what I mean.

Just Duke
12-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Bearcove would be a good fella to ask as he lives there, NM and MO.

Dennis Eugene
12-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Have her call her service provider,they should have all the answers. Dennis

GabbyM
12-13-2012, 02:16 PM
During the flight up remove her cell phone battery and do not tell her.
Flushing the damn thing down a toilet is another option.
Also leave cameras and gadgets at home. You've already seen the movie.

My parents drove up to Alaska in there 22 foot motor home some years back. They said it was nice to have a motor home as opposed to there fifth wheel trailer. As the mosquitos would have carried them off as they tried to make it from the truck to the camper.

41 mag fan
12-13-2012, 06:17 PM
Cause I had her um, well, tied up. I mean busy. Well, you know what I mean.

Can I borrow her when your done??? Please!!

rush1886
12-13-2012, 07:17 PM

Don't know squat about phone service--don't want to.

Went fishing on the Kenai River (silver salmon) in july/august of 1994. The Skeeters were bad, bad, bad. They could not hold a candle to the no-see-ums in my opinion! The locals there, we stayed at a friends house in Kenai, called the little carnivores "whitesox". I don't know if they actualy wore little white sox or not, the little devils were small enough I literally could not see 'em, hence the name i s'pose. What I can say, is the little nasty's actually BITE, they literaly knaw off a little chunk of your flesh!! Mind you, the salmon fishing was phenominal, but as opposed to putting up with those little buggers again, for me personally, Been there, Done that.

AkMike
12-14-2012, 10:03 AM
The phone will work in most areas with a road system. Most towns have something that'll work. There'll be dead area during the cruises between the towns though. If she's gotta be in contact all the time get her a Sat-phone.

starmac
12-14-2012, 03:02 PM
LOL The way some folks talk on the phone, a sat phone could cost more than the cruise. lol

bearcove
12-14-2012, 11:58 PM
Last time I used a phone it was AT&T. Cost 10 bucks extra for Canada. That was driving. The SE is probably not. Probably be roaming.

starmac
12-15-2012, 12:57 AM
I can get a plan with canada on it, but there is some trade offs that would wind up costing more. It generally costs me somewhere between 50 and 150 traveling through canada and most of the way there is no service anyway. lol