PDA

View Full Version : First Solo Casting Session

SgtDog0311
12-13-2012, 12:02 AM
Well I felt like the 'grass hopper' without his 'master' today. I’ve got one batch under my belt before this but my ol buddy, who watched over that first small batch, sent me off to “walk the earth” like Samuel L Jackson says of Cane in Kung Fu. So finally got the time to strike out without the supervision. The cull rate didn’t turn out to be so terrible for my first time. Maybe put 20 back in the pot out of 200. Later pulled another 16 on account of weight. Don’t plan to weigh them all the time but thought it prudent - this being my first sojourn. The ones I kept (188) were within a single grain in weight so I segregated them with 75 or so in an .005 spread and a little over a hundred with the same variation. All were between .2305 and 2315. Might get better at this but I thought that was a good tight range. Need to watch it next time to see if it’s just the delta between the two cavities. These are for my 375 Marlin and the mold was from Accurate Molds. Bullets dropped fairly easy it seemed to me. Did some tapping but not any banging. Now I just need more molds. Plan to pan lube after I get the gas checks on and then find some range time to see how they fly. Lots of fun for a newcomer to have, especially this late in life. Great reading and lots of help here on this sight. Much obliged to all contributors!!

John

JeffinNZ
12-13-2012, 04:48 AM
Looks great to me!

Inkman
12-13-2012, 11:27 AM
:like

Can I suggest casting away from the books and what looks like a quart of motor oil on the shelf behind? Plus a cookie sheet under the pot will save the day in case of a massive leak/pour out!

Al

pmer
12-13-2012, 11:38 AM
It looks good to me to. I have the same melter and I like to clamp mine down to the table.

SgtDog0311
12-13-2012, 02:05 PM
I take all suggestions... and appreciate em all. Especially the one about the pan in case of a massive pour out. I had to laugh when I saw the oil can in the background of the pic yesterday. Too close, but not as close as it looks. But I will make the move. I'm in the middle of trying ot sell a house (already closed on the destination house) with a move hopefully just around the corner. It came to 'temporarily setting up' on my little Harley space or setting up on my table saw. Next batch will hopefully find me with a permanent set up at the other house. Hadn't thought about the clamp. Good idea! John

Cherokee
12-13-2012, 09:04 PM
Looks like good boolits. Good suggestions also.

captaint
12-14-2012, 11:12 AM
Heck, 188 winners out of 200 - that's pretty good. I'd say you're well on your way. Great feeling, isn't it ??? keep em in the black. Mike

**oneshot**
12-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Looks like you had a very good maiden voyage!!! Keep up the good work.

I second the moving the flamables. Hot lead will melt through plastic faster than you can say oh........! I cast on a sheet of durarock with a backsplash made of the same.