PDA

View Full Version : You southern boys dont use javalina do you!!!

Lloyd Smale
06-26-2007, 01:46 PM
ran out of my go to lube today and had a batch of 5050 i made up a few years ago filled my star with it and proceded to make a mess. Its about a 100 in the barn today and my old star is a northern star and apperantly doesnt like javalina in the heat. I had lube everywhere. on the bullets in the groves and on the noses in my hair on my hands EVERYWHERE. I drained it and brought the lube in the house and remelted it and added some paraphin wax to stiffen it up. Ill give it a run again tommarow.

Char-Gar
06-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Well yea Loyd.. We do use Javelina.. we just don't keep the machines in the barn.

NVcurmudgeon
06-26-2007, 03:30 PM
I'm only half Southern but have lived my whole life in some of the warmer parts of Yankeedom. Javelina has worked for me giving fine accuracy and no leakage (except from lubrisizer pressure) for well over thirty years. For the last three years I have enjoyed having an inside shop room. I can now safely leave lubrisizers on a shelf with no protection. Previously, in various non-insulated garages and sheds I kept the lubrisizers cool enough in wooden drawers. Now that I have filled one of the machines with Felix's lube, I hope it will be true to its Arkansas heritage and not melt.

Duckiller
06-26-2007, 04:01 PM
During the So.Cal. summer javalina can make a real mess, works but messy. I have gone to Lars Carnauba Red. A tad sticky when hot but sets up good. Only shot it in pistol so far. Will try it in rifle this weekend.

Rick N Bama
06-26-2007, 04:38 PM
Well yea Loyd.. We do use Javelina.. we just don't keep the machines in the barn.

:redneck:

[smilie=1:

jawjaboy
06-26-2007, 04:43 PM
Sorry Lloyd, but I just gotta' do this you know! :bigsmyl2:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g194/jawjaboy/Copy2ofIM000225.jpg

I a suffered for 4 years in my barn, winter and summer times. Enuf's enuf! Put the a/c in a couple of weeks ago, the heater this past fall. It be mo bettah now!

JohnH
06-26-2007, 04:52 PM
Keepin' yore 'quipment in ah barn????? Lloyd, ya ouht to be shamed o' yorsef. Ya needs ta cova up yore Yankee a bit better'n 'at iff'n ya 'spect ta evah have respec' from ah Southern Man ;)

mstarling
06-26-2007, 04:57 PM
I emptied most of the reservoir in my Saeco this morning before it got hot. Was loaded with Javelina. Am changing to Carnuba Red. The Lyman sizer is already done and it works well in the heat. Hoping the Saeco will do the same.

Too hot to work in that shop on a summer afternoon anyway. Would rather be casting as that area is open air and the wind relieves the heat a little. Try to do this stuff in the Spring and Fall. Usually put up enough slugs to shoot the year. Sometimes I don't estimate things well and have to work in the summer heat anyway :)

Hunter
06-26-2007, 05:19 PM
I could not in good conscious keep my reloading or casting in a barn especially if it were not climate controlled.:mrgreen:

cohutt
06-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Keepin' yore 'quipment in ah barn????? Lloyd, ya ouht to be shamed o' yorsef. Ya needs ta cova up yore Yankee a bit better'n 'at iff'n ya 'spect ta evah have respec' from ah Southern Man ;)

Hey, Mentone!

I'm not far, south of there is GA, 1400 feet lower and a few degrees hotter down at the confluence of the Etowah and Ooostanalua......

And I wish i had a barn to set up my equipment in.......

GP100man
06-26-2007, 10:15 PM
loyd 100f in michigan??????
or just the barn??????

GP100man

:cbpour:

Johnch
06-26-2007, 10:35 PM
loyd 100f in michigan??????
or just the barn??????

GP100man

:cbpour:

Well Toledo was 92 or 93 with 70% humity today
When I came home I bet my gardge was 120+

Loyd is north of me , so I bet it was 100 in the gardge for him

But in the winter
You will freeze your ....[smilie=1: .... off

John

Lloyd Smale
06-27-2007, 06:43 AM
It was that in the barn yesterday and about 93 outside. As to using the pole barn if you seen my reloading and casting setup youd realize that if it were to be kept in the house id need another house. Ive been doing it out there for about 20 years and the temp swings for over a 100 in the summer to 20 below in the winter and i had exactly zero issue with anything doing it that way. ive got powder and primers that have been out there for 10 years that work as well as the day i bought them. Ive got buddys who reload in there basements that have had problems with humidity and powder but the temp swings in the barn are slow and its never been a problem. I even run 5 differnt square deals and they allways have powder in the hoppers and as poorly as there sealed if i was going to have problems i think it would have happened by now. My reloading and casting gear is used daily and it is a tool. You will not go to my house and see a nice shiny blue dillon press as im not going to waste time cleaning something that is going to be used again tommarow. My pots have lead dripped all over them and my stars are covered with lube. there tools not show pieces and if they wear out they can be replaced. I have the same thoughts on guns. My guns are not spit shinned daily. Guys that have shot with me will tell you that they shake there heads at me tossing a 2500 dollar linebaugh on the tailgate of my truck like its a hammer when there wiping down there 300 dollar ruger. the linebaughs get hosed off with break clean just like the cheap guns. There fricking tools, bought to be shot not to impress people at the range. There nothing but a hammer that shoots lead. Id rather be loading casting and shooting then cleaning!

jonk
06-27-2007, 09:00 AM
I'm not in the south, but it does get up over 100 here in Ohio on occasion, and over 90 on a regular basis.

My stuff is in the basement.

The house has a/c.

Cold air sinks.

Get the drift? ;-)

I have noticed though, various lubes getting 'slimy' on the parts of the bullet not seated below the case neck on hot hot days. So I feel your pain, just only a little bit.

Newtire
06-28-2007, 11:13 PM
I sometimes feel bad when something gets ruined out in the garage but I think along the same lines as Lloyd. I do try to take care not to bang things up but not too fanatical about things. I am working on my garage let's say. I had to include this picture to show what my loading lab would look like if I had Bill Gate's money and a butler to arrange all this stuff.

Lloyd Smale
06-29-2007, 05:32 AM
thats a nice looking setup it looks like youve got blue fever like me. You want to really see a setup you ought to see the blue at my best friends house. His loading room was featured in the blue press magazine a while back and that was before he moved into his new setup. try two 550s and 5 650s with case feeders. I makes my one 550 and 5 square deals look like a budet set up. Hes got a loading room and walk in safe that would blow your mind. Even a range right out the window of his loading room for working up loads.
I sometimes feel bad when something gets ruined out in the garage but I think along the same lines as Lloyd. I do try to take care not to bang things up but not too fanatical about things. I am working on my garage let's say. I had to include this picture to show what my loading lab would look like if I had Bill Gate's money and a butler to arrange all this stuff.

Lloyd Smale
06-29-2007, 05:35 AM
got to looking at your picture closer and that is my buddy Als loading room back when the square deals were still there. Probably at least a 5 year old photo. There all at my house now and have been replaced with 650s. Dont know how i didnt catch it. Like i said his new setup would blow your mind. Probably the nicest realoading set up in the country and thats no exageration and if you knew him like a few here do youd know that its probably the most used too.

Newtire
06-29-2007, 07:24 PM
I would show a picture of MY loading place but it would not be a pretty sight to most here. It is getting more organized as I go along though.