PDA

View Full Version : Bullet mold question

layusn1
06-26-2007, 12:32 PM
I want to try my hand at casting but I have nothing but a pile of wheel weights. I want to cast for my 9mm CZ75. I use it for 7 yard to 25 yard freehand paper punching (target). Anyway, I have some 223 bullets I will likely never load (1100 pulled SS109) so I offered them for trade for anything casting related. Someone offered me the following:

"Ive got a lee 6 cavity 120 round nosed mold and a rcbs 121 round nosed gas check mold both in real good shape that id trade for your bullets"

Are those good molds for my purposes/worth the trade? If I did that I would still have to buy a handle right? Would I need two different handles since they are from different manufacturers? Would a six cavity mold be too much to start off with? I understand the beauty of casting is that if you mess up you just melt your mistake and start all over. Time to do some serious lurking around here...lol. Anyway, I would appreciate any feedback, thanks guys.

Larry Gibson
06-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Assuming they are 9mm moulds then it is a fair trade in my opinion. I've used bullets from several moulds in my CZ75 over the years including theones mentioned. They all worked fine. My CZ75 and deep lands with sharp rifling and handles cast better than any other 9mm I've had with the exception of a P35 I had some years ago. I also like the trigger pulls an that it fits my smll hand.

Larry Gibson

layusn1
06-26-2007, 01:28 PM
I went with the Hogue grip. It is amazing. It fits my hand like they made that gun just for me. I guess I will go for that trade then.

GP100man
06-26-2007, 10:28 PM
layusn1
get protective gear gloves &glasses min.
get a lee mold 2 holer $20.00
get a ss pot big enuff to melt ww in
get a ladle $14.00
try it i bet youll love it & as exp comes & info from the board fire up the 6 banger
if you dont like it then your not out much & some body else will more than likely need a 9mm 2 holer & ladle!!!!!

rather teach you how to fish than feed you for a day!!!!!
besides then youll know.
too bad you cant use 140gr. 358 boolits !!!

GP100man

:cbpour:

Lloyd Smale
06-27-2007, 06:45 AM
I think there pretty good molds ;)
I want to try my hand at casting but I have nothing but a pile of wheel weights. I want to cast for my 9mm CZ75. I use it for 7 yard to 25 yard freehand paper punching (target). Anyway, I have some 223 bullets I will likely never load (1100 pulled SS109) so I offered them for trade for anything casting related. Someone offered me the following:

"Ive got a lee 6 cavity 120 round nosed mold and a rcbs 121 round nosed gas check mold both in real good shape that id trade for your bullets"

Are those good molds for my purposes/worth the trade? If I did that I would still have to buy a handle right? Would I need two different handles since they are from different manufacturers? Would a six cavity mold be too much to start off with? I understand the beauty of casting is that if you mess up you just melt your mistake and start all over. Time to do some serious lurking around here...lol. Anyway, I would appreciate any feedback, thanks guys.

layusn1
06-28-2007, 10:40 AM
Cool, thanks for the answers guys. Sorry, I was off in my own little world for a while there. Back to lurking on your site for a while so I can come up with all kinds of off the wall noob questions to ask y'all...lol.

Springfield
06-28-2007, 01:20 PM
I'd get the LEE mould, gas checking is a pain if you are going to do it in volume.