PDA

View Full Version : leading / lube or velocity issue?

ndh87
12-12-2012, 09:26 AM
I've been pouring 163 grn flat nose boolits from a lee mold. One lube groove and one crimp groove. My lube is 1/2lb beeswax with a table spoon of ATF, 1 tbsp Vaseline, and a dash of JPW, and a little candle wax to stiffen the mix. Im loading those boolits over 4.7 grains of titegroup. The only place i seem to be getting leading is near the muzzle. Im shooting a 4 inch 686.

Is all the lube pumping out before the boolit leaves the muzzle? Also the boolits i've found in the berm dont have any lube left in the grooves. As i was shooting it seemed like my point of impact kept shifting, im guessing (hoping) that was just from leading? I only shot about 60 rounds in that sitting.

Do i need to play with my lube mix? It works great on my 45-70 load.

Also been considering a new gas check mold. Do you use lead load data or standard load data for those? I'd like to use H110 and have a really hot cast load. is that possible?

Larry Gibson
12-12-2012, 09:54 AM
What alloy?

Switch to a known quality commercial lube. It's easy enough to hand lube a few bullets to test. Shoot the same bullets with the same load but with the different lube. If it doesn't lead then it's the lube. If it leads then the problem is else where and there are numerous possiblities. Eliminate one thing at a time is the only way to know or find out the cause of the leading.

Larry Gibson

44man
12-12-2012, 10:03 AM
Hard to say. Are you shooting boolits too soft with some slump? You could be losing lube at the gap.
Gas leakage in the throats can also blow lube out the gap.
Put cardboard close to the gap on each side of the gun and see if it gets lube spattered.

youngda9
12-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Do you have a micrometer(not calipers)? What is the size of your cylander throats and have you slugged your barrel? What are you sizing your bullets to?

I shoot the lee 158gr boolit cast from ACWW with 7.8gr of Unique @1250fps IIRC with a light TL in 45/45/10 with no leading.

darkroommike
12-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Do you have a micrometer(not calipers)? What is the size of your cylander throats and have you slugged your barrel? What are you sizing your bullets to?

I shoot the lee 158gr boolit cast from ACWW with 7.8gr of Unique @1250fps IIRC with a light TL in 45/45/10 with no leading.

Plus one to slugging your barrel, etc. You may be getting blowby, lube might be all gone before the bullet leaves the barrel. Light loads or hard bullets could also prevent obturation causing blowby.

captaint
12-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Just a thought, but it seems to me I've read of many lube recepies that are more like 50% beeswax and nearly 50% vaseline. Going by memory here. enjoy Mike

runfiverun
12-12-2012, 03:11 PM
you don't have much "lube" in your lube.
my simple green lube is:
4 oz b-wax by weight, 4 tsp vaseline, 2 tsp dexron atf, 2 tsp [polybutene based] 2 stroke oil, and 1/2 tsp lanolin.
it's still on the verge of being dry.

mdi
12-12-2012, 03:52 PM
With leading near the muzzle, usually it's from lube failure. Try r5r's recipe.

fredj338
12-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Check your dimensions first, but TG is a poor lead bullet powder IMO, burns too hot & likely eliminating the lube before it can do it's job. I also agree, not much lube in your lube.

mpmarty
12-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Just tumble lube a few and shoot them. If that solves the problem you know it's your lube.

williamwaco
12-12-2012, 08:20 PM
With leading near the muzzle, usually it's from lube failure. Try r5r's recipe.

Just tumble lube a few and shoot them. If that solves the problem you know it's your lube.

Ditto!

One or the other.

Your "recipe" doesn't even sound like it would work - to me.

ndh87
12-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Im using strait wheel weights for alloy, I've run some tumble lube boolits (different mold) that seem to run ok. everything is getting sized to .358.