PDA

View Full Version : '63 Spencer

chrisw
12-12-2012, 02:04 AM
Is anyone shooting a Spencer? Mines in great shape for a battlefield pick up, shot rarely but always maintained. I haven't slugged the barrel but it and receiver is in much nicer share than most my guns. My Great-Great Grandad got it from a good yankee.

loading a rimfire would be difficult but possible I think?

avogunner
12-12-2012, 07:39 AM
A Spencer has been on my "must have list" for a long time. There are centerfire breechblocks made specifically to turn that back into a shooter and Rapine makes a good mold for it too (.56-56 bullet mold #546375). A great project and a fun shooter! Damn, I'm jealous!

hightime
12-12-2012, 08:50 AM
I'd like a modern copy in a 45 Colt, but I'm not sure of the one now being made.

Owen

elk hunter
12-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Here's a good place to look for information about Spencers.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?board=35.0

chrisw
12-12-2012, 01:30 PM
WOW! Awesome web site! Even most surprising was that someone actually makes the shells I've been thinking of for several months- a normal shell drilled out with a .22 in it. Sounds a whole lot easier than making my own then putting it on my "homebrewing yeast stir plates" to spin the brass pushing the priming to the edge!

I've got mixed feelings about the centerfire change. I'll have to think about that for a while.

Thanks!

Boz330
12-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Bill,
Is that the one we shot out behind Ross Johnson's? If so that was a fun gun to shoot and I thought pretty damn accurate. Unlike most of the hunters rifles.
My hunting and shooting buddy picked one up for $250. Sounds pretty cheap but I think he has spent about that much again on the centerfire breach block and other replacement parts. I have been trying to get him to use it to deer hunt with.

Bob

chrisw
12-12-2012, 07:32 PM
this was appraised in 2009 with the comps going for around 5,500, actuually the guy offered 5,675 or something liike that. He appraised a bit higher than that but with the caviot that the market at that time was a bit off and the auction prices where sporatic, its a bit frustrating when the supposivly nuetral appraiser gives an offer, because does it mean his appraisal is low because he is negotiating or is he a strait shooter? Anyways he did say it was in great shape and safe to shoot and I guess its worth at least his offer not that I'll ever sell it- the family heirloom value is worth a lot more than the money!

chrisw
12-12-2012, 07:59 PM
I've actually got the painting my great-great-great grandmother commissioned of him in his uniform holding the gun when he stopped by home after one of the battles in 63. He was still a teen at the time and loved riding between the lines as a messenger.

His brother Albert was an officer under Mosbey in the Rangers and was hung BY CHOICE so the married with children enlisted man traveling with him would be spared. At that time the Union hung all the enlisted men, and only captured the Officers. I can't imagine a more heroic act as that. Some of the recent history has um, renamed him from Albert "C" Wllis to "G" Willis and has demoted him but I trust our family documents and the "old" (1899) monument to him rather than this "new" information that's based upon the memories of people in Berryville as written in 2012.

ukrifleman
12-13-2012, 03:26 PM
I'd like a modern copy in a 45 Colt, but I'm not sure of the one now being made.

Owen
I have an Italian made repro 1860 Spencer carbine in 44-40, made by Armi Chiappa, they also make the rifle in 56-50, 45 Colt and 44-40.
Check out their website on www.chiappafirearms.com
ukrifleman.