PDA

View Full Version : ROA Taller Front Sight

Mike.44
12-11-2012, 11:39 PM
I understand many have trouble with shooting high with the ROA and heavier loads. Does someone make taller front sights for the ROA? Would they be the same as a Black Hawk front sight?
Mike

Baja_Traveler
12-12-2012, 01:01 AM
I also have that problem with mine, and I've read that a taller Black Hawk sight is the answer also - supposed to drop right in. I haven't measured to figure out just which sight blade is the appropriate height though.

Mike.44
12-12-2012, 06:44 AM
I have a BH 45 colt that has this problem too. All the sights I have looked at say not for 45 colt.....in other words not tall enough. I may have to try to file one out of some kind of steel on my own. It seems someone would recognize this and make an extra tall sight.

winelover
12-12-2012, 08:14 AM
I just replaced mine with a call to Ruger. They sent me a .455 high pinned blade for a 45 Blackhawk IIRC. Free of charge, BTW. This is rather painless way to go if you have the SS model. All you have to do is drill a 1/16" hole for the roll pin.

Winelover

Nobade
12-12-2012, 08:52 AM
I bought a ROA that somebody had filed the front sight shorter. So I just milled off the blade, cut a slot in the base with a tiny little endmill, made a new blade and pinned it in place. Works great, and if I ever want a different height I can just knock this one out and make a different one.

rodwha
12-14-2012, 07:55 PM
My rear sight has been bottomed out and is still shooting quite high. I've also heard about a BH front sight, and the need to drill the pin hole. Without a drill press how do you ensure the hole is perfectly straight?

Mike.44
12-15-2012, 05:55 AM
I will be calling Ruger.....Thanx Winelover.
Rodwha, just make sure the sight blank is pushed all the way in and score it with a nail or small punch throught the roll-pin hole. I will hold mine lightly in with a padded vise.