PDA

View Full Version : Question about cast wheel weights running light?

jh45gun
06-25-2007, 11:45 PM
OK I have been shooting my 45/70 Roller Origional Number 5 Receiver and a Green Mountain Barrel. my load was 43 grains of 3031 for what I was guessing was around just over 1500 fps as I felt my bullet was as cast in the 405 range. Mould is the Lee hollow based one that drops them at .459. I run them through a Lee .459 sizer and lube with Lee Liquid Alox. I was shocked to find out after I weighed them that they are running around 375 grains? Now I guess I do not have an issue with the weight but now I know I will have to pull them and try a new load as I am sure these were probably going too fast for that bullet design. I will now have to figure out a load that is below 1500 since the bullet is lighter. Probably get better groups now too as they were about 4 inches at a 100 yards. I know I should be able to do better with a Green Mountain barrel. Now finding out the bullets are light I think I was pushing them too fast. What do you guys think what would 30+ grains difference make speed wise?

454PB
06-26-2007, 12:28 AM
I'd shoot them up and adjust the future loads if you desire. I think 4" 100 yard groups is acceptable using iron sights in a 45/70. Apparently you are not pushing that boolit too hard.

leftiye
06-26-2007, 04:25 PM
My guess too (same as 454s). I'd experiment with different charges for accuracy. No reason why 1500 fps is magic, or that exceeding it would be a catastrophe. However, what is your groove diameter (size boolits a bit larger than groove diameter)? Do you seat your boolits' noses against the rifling? You could even try thumb-tite-only seating in that single shot if you wanted. What alloy are your boolits made of? I'd get a better lube while I was at it!

dubber123
06-26-2007, 06:10 PM
If you haven't already, I would try another lube. Since you aren't really sizing them, you could just hand lube them, assuming you don't have a lubrisizer. This will only cost you the price of a stick of lube. I have handlubed lots with Lyman super moly, and get great results. This is just one example of a good, readily available lube. Some really like the alox, but I would bet on a more conventional lube outshooting it. It may be worth a try.

klw
06-26-2007, 06:56 PM
OK I have been shooting my 45/70 Roller Origional Number 5 Receiver and a Green Mountain Barrel. my load was 43 grains of 3031 for what I was guessing was around just over 1500 fps as I felt my bullet was as cast in the 405 range. Mould is the Lee hollow based one that drops them at .459. I run them through a Lee .459 sizer and lube with Lee Liquid Alox. I was shocked to find out after I weighed them that they are running around 375 grains? Now I guess I do not have an issue with the weight but now I know I will have to pull them and try a new load as I am sure these were probably going too fast for that bullet design. I will now have to figure out a load that is below 1500 since the bullet is lighter. Probably get better groups now too as they were about 4 inches at a 100 yards. I know I should be able to do better with a Green Mountain barrel. Now finding out the bullets are light I think I was pushing them too fast. What do you guys think what would 30+ grains difference make speed wise?

If I could shoot 4 inch groups at 100 yards I'd be VERY VERY pleased. Seems to me that this is a VERY good load. As to the weight, probably the stated weight was for a pure lead bullet. Switching to pure lead should, I think, add about 30 grains which would put the weight at 405.

jh45gun
06-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the replys I am sizing them using a Lee push through sizer .459. The bullets drop at .460 to .461. When the gunsmith put the Green Mountain Barrel on my number 5 action he slugged the barrel and recommended .459 bullets. Yes I am seating the bullets out so they just touch. I started a bullet and put the cartridge in the chamber and seated it with the bullet out just so I could close the action.

jh45gun
06-26-2007, 10:46 PM
Might have to try an other lube though I have had good luck with the LLA using 30 cal bullets in my 30/30 and K31 and 308. I see nothing wrong with it why do you guys think an other lube would work better? Not doubting ya just wondering?

dmftoy1
06-27-2007, 07:40 AM
FWIW - I'm using the Lee HB 405 grain mold and using pure wheel weights (with 2 % tin added) I'm getting about 385.5-386.6 grains. I did have a few that were lighter but none that were quite as light as yours. My guess is it could be a regional variation in ww composition or something.

Just my .02

Regards,
Dave

jh45gun
06-27-2007, 12:13 PM
I am thinking I may have added some 50/50 solder to that batch and it lighted it up somewhat as my 30 cal bullets are straight wheel weights and they weigh 185 grains with a gas check and lubed and they are supposed to weigh 180 grains cast so they are right in the ball park.