PDA

View Full Version : Got me a flounder on a hook finally.....

JeffinNZ
12-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Thought I had picked up some weed to be honest. The lure is about 1 1/4 long. Just shows you how aggressive the fish are:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Other%20stuff/Flounder.jpg

popper
12-11-2012, 03:01 PM
No pics! My son got surprised by getting 2 bass on a plug with 2 treble hooks, at the same time. Never heard of that before.

starmac
12-11-2012, 08:02 PM
I used to gig for flounder, never really fished for them, but did catch one on a hook once.
I never caught two bass on a plug, but have had them jump in the boat while frog gigging. lol
I have caught a snapping turtle on a bass plug, thought I had hooked a log. lol

x101airborne
12-11-2012, 08:45 PM
I will have to send you a couple of my custom flounder lures. They are only 1-1/2 inches long with glass beads. Made out of marlin wire with glass and brass beads and a small treble hook. Tie these on with a dead mud minnow on the end, the beads go "click. click. click." across the bottom with the little minnow on the top. You can even use a small artificial to substitute the minnow. Texas Tackle Factory has even picked these up as commercial lures, so I know they work.

Fish shallow. Flounder almost never feed deep. Good luck!
Trey

mnkyracer
12-12-2012, 06:50 AM
Used to make an annual trip to Chincoteague Island with my Grandfather to fish for flounder. Tenting+fish stench+hummingbird sized mosquitos and I still loved it.

Frank46
12-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Jeff, try a couple cans of cheap kernel corn. Sprinkle it in the area you will be fishing in. Also some chopped up pieces of clams, and what we call killie's (small bait fish). Frank

Jal5
12-12-2012, 08:33 PM
That kernel corn really does work! My grandfather back in the 60's on Long Island, NY used it with us all the time.
One time he was filleting the catch and it was a bushel basket of big fish, and two guys came over to ask him why there was so much corn in the stomachs. Without missing a beat he told them that there must have been some kind of cornfield in the bay accounting for what the fish were eating. Those two guys walked away scratching their heads at the "crazy old guy"....crazy like a fox!
Joe

Frank46
12-13-2012, 01:08 AM
Jal5, Well you see I used to live on long island and had a small boat out of woodcleft canal. Al Grover was the name of the yard where I docked. Most of the boat owners used to have a running battle with the daytrippers who parked their boats in our paid for slips. Used to have to find them and tell them to move their boats. Guy Lombardo used to have two mahogany speed boats tempo I and tempo II. And oh yeah the cheap kernal corn worked great. Frank

captain-03
12-13-2012, 09:48 AM
Congratulations on your catch!! Here is my grandson a couple years ago with his first!!

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj19/twwoodall/vance3007.jpg