PDA

View Full Version : Starting point for .40 S&W thru a carbine

carpedium
12-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Hello all, this is my first post.

I am writing to inquire about a good starting point for loading a .40 S&W RNBB hard cast lead 180 gr .401 bullets. These will be going through a carbine rifle with a 16.1" barrel (Kel-Tec sub-2000). My intended purpose is stocking up on bulk ammo for target/tactical training.

Anything that is suggested will be checked thru the appropriate manual and I will start with the minimum load and work up to your suggestion. That said, what recipe works for you?

I am intending on longshot powder since it is slower burning - starting at 6.3 gr with a 1.125" OAL.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

W.R.Buchanan
12-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Load it just like you would for a pistol. I load for the same gun. The whole point of the gun is to be able to use the same ammo for your pistol and rifle. No sense having different loads and fumbling with them when you need the gun to work right.

You will get some increase in velocity just from the longer barrel, and obviously there is a substantial increase in accuracy just because of the sight radius.

I assume you are loading 165-180 gr boolits. And all of the normal cast boolit issues like boolit fit, lube, hardness apply to the rifle as well.

My standard load for .40S&W is 5.4gr of W231 with a 165 gr plated boolit. (Rainier /Xtreme, whatever I can get.)

Please let us know how it works out for you.

Randy

carpedium
12-11-2012, 02:13 PM
Load it just like you would for a pistol. I load for the same gun. The whole point of the gun is to be able to use the same ammo for your pistol and rifle. No sense having different loads and fumbling with them when you need the gun to work right.

You will get some increase in velocity just from the longer barrel, and obviously there is a substantial increase in accuracy just because of the sight radius.

I assume you are loading 165-180 gr boolits. And all of the normal cast boolit issues like boolit fit, lube, hardness apply to the rifle as well.

My standard load for .40S&W is 5.4gr of W231 with a 165 gr plated boolit. (Rainier /Xtreme, whatever I can get.)

Please let us know how it works out for you.

Randy

Randy,

Thank you for your reply. I am using 180 Gr rnbb boolits.

soldier1
12-11-2012, 06:48 PM
+1 on that

garym1a2
12-11-2012, 10:30 PM
I would try WSF, Unique or Universal. They all tend to work well in the 40S&W handgun and should pickup some velocity in the rifle.

Oreo
12-12-2012, 01:27 AM
A slower powder would benefit the most from the longer barrel. You're on the right path there with Longshot and it meters real nice too.