PDA

View Full Version : Skunked!

Jim
12-11-2012, 09:22 AM
Me an' Jeff went huntin' last night on his place. We took Jasper and Susie to the east hollow an' turned 'em out.

I swear, that Jasper does some stupid stuff sometimes. No sooner did we let 'em off the leads, Jasper decides he's goin' up to the pasture above the hollow. "Jasper! Jasper! COME 'ere, Jasper!" Didn't even turn his head.

He hit the fence between the hollow and the pasture, went through the barbed wire and took off. Not a minute later, we heard "OOOP!" Two minutes later, here he comes back on a dead run. He slid to a stop like a runner comin' into first base and went to scrubbin' his muzzle on the ground. He'd been sprayed by a skunk.

STINK? My Lord, that dog stunk to high heaven! I told Jeff we might as well put 'em in the truck an' take 'em to the house 'cause Jasper was done for the rest of the evenin'.

Me an' Jeff both got it on us. When I got home, I had to take my huntin' clothes off out on the porch an' hit the rain locker. Fortunately, it wasn't on me that bad and a hot shower with carbolic soap got it off.

Jasper can put 'coons up trees, but he sure does some stupid stuff sometimes. Stupid dog.

slide
12-11-2012, 09:37 AM
Back when I was an avid quail hunter we used to carry two big cans of tomato juice with us for that purpose. It would help to some extent. Vinegar would probably do the same. Was Jasper riding in the back of the truck or up front with you guys?

Jim
12-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Back when I was an avid quail hunter we used to carry two big cans of tomato juice with us for that purpose. It would help to some extent. Vinegar would probably do the same. Was Jasper riding in the back of the truck or up front with you guys?

Jeff's got a box in the bed of his truck for the dogs. This has happened before, so he's got a solvent for the problem. He keeps fresh hay in the compartments of the box. If a dog gets sprayed, after we get back and put up the dogs, we take the box out of the truck and throw a match in the compartment and set fire to the hay. The fire and smoke completely eliminates the smell.

He learned that trick from Billy Quesenberry. First time Jeff tried it, he wasn't thinkin'. The box he USED to have was built with plywood and he burned the box down! Billy ain't never let Jeff live that down. :bigsmyl2:

FISH4BUGS
12-11-2012, 10:05 AM
My last skunk on the back porch died of acute lead poisoning. A 22 between the eyes dropped him without as much as a quiver. Fish & Game said based on the description of his behavior it was probably rabid. Now buried in the field next door.
I love all God's creatures except for skunks and woodchucks. It is WAR!

MT Gianni
12-11-2012, 10:39 AM
No matter how long the pedigree tha dog has or how many long words in his name they can always be called the same thing out hunting. "Get back yere you dumb *&^%%".

Olevern
12-11-2012, 10:45 AM
Well, Jim, ya got the skunk thing behind you (and Jasper), now ya got the other one to look forward to; when Jasper tangles with a porcupine (they usually only do it once).

smoked turkey
12-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Sounds like another 'memorable' hunt Jim. I've only been coon huntin' a few times with a friend a long time ago but I still remember it like yesterday.

Jim
12-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Well, Jim, ya got the skunk thing behind you (and Jasper), now ya got the other one to look forward to; when Jasper tangles with a porcupine (they usually only do it once).

I've been in Floyd County almost four years and have yet to see the first one around here.

thegatman
12-11-2012, 11:42 AM
My friends dog tangled with a skunk last week. There is a peroxide formula off the internet that will kill the smell. Of course if you ride around with the dog the rest of the hunt, it might be harder to remove.

Y2K
12-11-2012, 12:46 PM
After Cujo got skunked, I used the 'mater juice' and soap on him. Later that day the vet's groomer told me to use Scope mouthwash. The next time I used it with about 95% success. Gotta recommend it.

Tazman1602
12-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Jim,

You've answered the existential question;

Q: "What is scarier than a bear in the woods?"
A: A skunk, the bear might run when he sees you....

I had one of my dogs show up at the door a few weeks back and I noticed one eye was almost shut and twitching profusely. I guess he thought he had to sniff the skunks butt, he's a pitbull but the dam dog loves cats....go figure...

How long before you're allowed to snuggle with wifey again? LMAO! Not at you buddy, with you.....

Art

cbrick
12-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Later that day the vet's groomer told me to use Scope mouthwash. The next time I used it with about 95% success. Gotta recommend it.

Yep, Scope, even works about 95% on the little womans breath. :shock:

Ok, just kiddin.

My dog's breed is a "Treeing Walker Coon Hound". She can be dingy alright, let her loose and the only thing in the entire universe to her is her nose. She instantly turns completely deaf and will follow her nose right into the next county before she even knows she left home. Can't hadly walk her on a leash, the nose is glued to the ground and the dog goes where the nose goes. She hasn't seen a coon yet so she settles for the resident ground hog & tries to get into the hole, the ground hog now has a nervous disorder.

Can't hardly wait for her to meet her first skunk.

Rick

41 mag fan
12-11-2012, 01:29 PM
How many times before the dog learns tha smelly thing is a no no to get around??

Blacksmith
12-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Had a beagle get it full in the face, he never got near another.

x101airborne
12-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Jim, I carry this in my huntin bag for just such occasions.
One quart of heavy hydrogen peroxide.
One quarter cup baking soda.
Two tablespoons of Dawn dishwashing liquid.
Mix together in an open one gallon ziplock and apply to the dog liberally. The soap breaks down the oil in the skunk spray. The HP and baking soda releases oxygen that lifts the smell out of the hair and neutralizes many odors. Then hold the dog by the collar and dunk it in the water trough. Well, a couple times.
This works really well and if you dont need it for the dogs, it works wonders for getting blood out of vehicle interior. Again, not saying how I know. I also dont know what happened to Jimmy, my old partner. Just in case anyone is listening.

1Shirt
12-11-2012, 05:15 PM
I had a beagle that got sprayed more than once. A slow learner!
1Shirt!

thegatman
12-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Yeah that is the peroxide formula that works. I never heard of the Scope method but I have a 3-9x40 scope that I can try next time.

gwpercle
12-12-2012, 03:24 PM
My son-in-law and I walked up on a mamma skunk and 4 of her offspring one night, I never saw anybody walk backwards as fast and quitely as he did. He was in front , on a path to a clearing when he took 2 steps into the clearing and stopped dead in his tracts, then as he was backing out, he grabbed me and whispered SKUNKS. Since we didn't alarm anyone we avoided what could have been a MAJOR STINK , I have been told even young ones have operational stinkers. Didn't want to test that, 5 skunks at once is just way too many. Thank goodness he recgnized them in the dark, Lord only knows what would have happened if I had been first...my eyesight isn't that good and I usually walk right into things.

gary

cbrick
12-12-2012, 03:53 PM
5 skunks at once is just way too many. gary

hehe . . . 5 skunks at once is 10 too many. :shock:

Rick

starmac
12-12-2012, 04:20 PM
I don't know at what point young ones glands start working, or they learn to use them, but I have caught babies that never used them. lol

41 mag fan
12-12-2012, 04:41 PM
I don't know at what point young ones glands start working, or they learn to use them, but I have caught babies that never used them. lol

They got skunks that far north?? As cold as it gets up there i bet tey spray it looks funny an icicle sticking out of the butts!!

starmac
12-12-2012, 04:45 PM
NO we don't have skunks, snakes or some other undesirables. lol
I lived most of my life in Tx and NM where they were plentiful though. lol
We do have porcupines though.

41 mag fan
12-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Yup I know porcupines too well...seen a dead one on the road once.....only took once to...thought I'd get out and check it out...so me with boots on kicked it.....you can figure out the rest of my right big toe story....
I never kicked a porcupine again, nor did i stop for a dead one again!!

starmac
12-12-2012, 04:58 PM
I had some friends that actually had a pet one, and you could pick it up and hold it without getting stuck.

41 mag fan
12-12-2012, 05:07 PM
We had them come thru IL time to time when I was a kid...big news back then...i kicked one down by Brady Tx back in '88...it was the last time too I ever did that!!

JeffinNZ
12-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Mix together in an open one gallon ziplock and apply to the dog liberally. The soap breaks down the oil in the skunk spray. The HP and baking soda releases oxygen that lifts the smell out of the hair and neutralizes many odors. Then hold the dog by the collar and dunk it in the water trough. Well, a couple times.
This works really well and if you dont need it for the dogs, it works wonders for getting blood out of vehicle interior. Again, not saying how I know. I also dont know what happened to Jimmy, my old partner. Just in case anyone is listening.

It's a real man that'll shampoo his hunting dog in the woods. LOL.

Jim
12-12-2012, 05:29 PM
I had some friends that actually had a pet one, and you could pick it up and hold it without getting stuck.

I'd have a pet skunk about as quick as I'd have a pet rattle snake.

God a'mighty, that dog stunk!

x101airborne
12-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Well, she dang sure aint riding in the airconditioned comfort of my truck!

Olevern
12-12-2012, 06:55 PM

Hummm! My friend down in S. Texas claimed he didn't know what happened to the deer poacher who shot his high dollar breedin deer, either. Must be a S. Texas thing.

starmac
12-12-2012, 07:30 PM
I'd have a pet skunk about as quick as I'd have a pet rattle snake.

God a'mighty, that dog stunk!

I guess I wasn't clear. My friends had a pet porcupine. lol I did actually know some people with a pet skunk once too. It had had the scent glands removed, which was outlawed in the early 70's, at least in Texas.

gwpercle
12-12-2012, 08:08 PM
Why are you catching baby skunks ? I just had to ask.

starmac
12-12-2012, 08:16 PM
It was cute. lol Who knows, I caught and kept for pets, coons, opossums armidillos,rabbits, owls, even kept a white tail for a while. The skunk I thought I would have it descented, but it was after they had passed the law against it, so it had to go.

felix
12-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Yep, skunk oil breaks down with any high ph stuff, but baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) works fairly safely. Adding hydrogen peroxide is a strong activator to the baking soda. The soap: Dawn is prolly the best because it helps maintain the proper ph level for everything to work as advertised without hurting the dog's skin, which is around 7.2 (people 7.4). The purpose of the hand/dishwater soap is the detergent action it provides, so the broken down oil will wash away and not recombine. That is why the dog needs a long fresh water spray-down after about 5 minutes of soaking in the baking soda solution.

The opposite soak solution is needed when getting get rid of jelly fish stings. We want to lower the ph of the fish sting oil, and we can do that safely with vinegar alone. Keep refreshing the vinegar until sting goes away. I do not know if adding hydrogen peroxide will accelerate the vinegar solution with this kind of oil or not, but it surely won't hurt to try.

... felix

GL49
12-12-2012, 09:31 PM
there once was a caster from Floyd,
who had problems he couldn't avoid,
his cat started drinkin'
his dog started stinkin'
poor Jim, he must be annoyed.

(sorry. Best I could do.) [smilie=s:

firefly1957
12-12-2012, 09:49 PM
GL49 :2_high5:

Jim shame your dog got sprayed i had skunks move thought here and are tired of smelling them last year i killed 13 in the yard now i got a new dog i do not want them around at all!

x101airborne
12-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Hummm! My friend down in S. Texas claimed he didn't know what happened to the deer poacher who shot his high dollar breedin deer, either. Must be a S. Texas thing.

I said it before, and I will say it agian. Prior Planning Prevents Pi$$ Poor Performance.
Have the hole already dug. That is NOT just a macho saying. It is the truth.

Jim
12-13-2012, 09:02 AM
there once was a caster from Floyd,
who had problems he couldn't avoid,
his cat started drinkin'
his dog started stinkin'
poor Jim, he must be annoyed.

(sorry. Best I could do.) [smilie=s:

Best you could do? I think it's GREAT! Five gold stars, my friend, five gold stars!!

contender1
12-13-2012, 11:45 PM
I always chuckle at these kinds of posts. You see, I an an Animal Damage Control Agent. I deal with wildlife daily. Including skunks. I've probably dealt with 30-40 this year alone. Never been sprayed either.
The Peroxide, baking soda & Dawn is the stuff to use. Sometime it may take a second scrubbing,, (as some folks wash it out before it can fully work into the fur.)
You can also use this solution to soak & hand wash your clothes, or even yourself too. I carry the stuff with me to mix it on site if necessary.

Let me mention something about jelly fish stings here. Vinegar will work as will ammonia. Even urine will stop the stings of most marine toxins. Most sea dwellers toxins are a protein type of posion. Adolf's Meat tenderiser will also work. Break down the protein. It also helps when removing sea urchin spines. Even very hot water can help,, but it's slower.

Gliden07
12-14-2012, 12:17 AM
I had an Irish Setter named Tosha trained her for birds, she was an absolutly beautiful dog, but STUPID. We kept here tied outside quite a bit because we lived in town. Once in a while she would break the outdoor lead and get away. Want to talk about stupid dogs, she had the knack of finding Porcupines and got wacked good in the face 4 different times!! The last time she came very close to loosing sight in one eye because of one of the Quills!! That was a $300 Vet bill and that was 18+ yrs ago!! Still miss her though!!

firefly1957
12-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Jim i did not see those stars so i added them to the thread for you!

Gliden07 I had a Corgi mix that thought he could kill them Quill pigs he would run around them untill he could bite into the eyes then pull them but he always got swatted the last time was $206 the vet pulled 131 quills i had already pulled a handful while he was in shock.