PDA

View Full Version : can i build a 300 win mag....

mike in co
06-25-2007, 04:41 PM
a '98 mauser action ???
cip for 8mm is 56k for 300 win mag is 62k........

or better yet, SHOULD i build om a mauser actiom

thanks
mike

( whats the biggest you'd build ?)

fishhawk
06-25-2007, 04:46 PM
in the proses of building one off a 98 myself right now. will have to open the bolt face and screw with the rails but it works on a 98

leftiye
06-25-2007, 09:06 PM
You CAN set the bolt lugs back with belted magnum headsize cases in Mausers. But, you can also avoid setting them back if you load moderately. Would suspect that the commercial Mausers could be a tad stronger than the military ones as they've been selling models of these in belted magnum for many years over the counter. Don't primers crater pretty badly at 62000 psi?

Bret4207
06-26-2007, 06:50 AM
You have to pick a decent example and there's a bunch of work to it IIRC. There are lots of Savages and Remchesters out there. Might be easier. I don't think safety is an issue with a good '98. IOW- I wouldn't use a Turk or a hunka junk.

frank505
06-26-2007, 11:31 AM
why shoot a little bullet when you could go to a 416 Taylor or 458???????????????
and enjoy cast bullets

fishhawk
06-26-2007, 11:37 AM
well i'm doing one in 300 WM because at the age i'm at and the back problems, recoil hurts to bad with a BIG one...thats my excuse and i'm sticking to it

Paul B
07-18-2007, 06:05 PM
Fishhawk. You might want to try and chase down something like a J.C. Higgins M50 or 51 to make your rifle. many of the 8MM military Mausers have a magazine that is not 30-06 length and are too short. Makes for more labor and more money to put out.

The Higgins are made with a genuine FN commercial Mauser action with thes tock and barrel by High Standard for Sears. Damn good rifles as is BTW. The fact that the action is a commercial one also means less work has to be done to make a finished product, which in turn means more money saved.

They came in either 230-06 or .270 Win. in the Model 50 and I think the m51 may have come in a couple of other calibers, but I've never seen a single one. Guess those who have them hang on to the. The 51 action IIRC was made by Husqvarna in Sweden and is an FN clone. Those would be my choices to build a custom Mauser.

I have five of those rifles (M50) one having been made into a custom 7x57 Mauser and the others are still in the original 30-06. The stock on one has been slimmed down a bit as the originals are a bit on the clubby side, but all four 30-06 rifles will shoot MOA or less as is iteh n original stock. The barrels BTW are chrome lined and I have never seen one ruined by rust or corrosion. They're too short to be useful as a Magnum at 22". Triggers are fair, but easily replaced with a Timney.
I don't know the model numbers but these rifles were also made for Colt, Western Auto and other chain stores as well.

If you want to use a milsurp style, I'd look for a 1909 Argentine. Takes a bit more work to clean up than the Higgins, but they're nice. A bit pricey too.

Another option, and one that might bear looking into is the Mark X (Mark Ten) I had one for a while in .300 Win. mag. and it was a tack driver. I'm sorry I ever sold it, but the guy that bought it wanted it real bad and he made an offer I could not pass up. They do have an adjustable trigger, but I did not like it, so I replaced it with a Timney. Pretty darn good gun otherwise. Come to think of it, that might be the cheapest way to go.

If you get the impression I like Mausers, you are right. All my serious bolt action hunting rifles are on Mauser actions including an original Oberndorf Banner Mauser. My serious single shot hunting rifles are based on Ruger Number Ones.
Paul B.

Scrounger
07-18-2007, 07:22 PM
Like one of these:

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8094132

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8094343

mike in co
07-18-2007, 10:52 PM
well i have purchased mil surplus rifles with the intent of building toys...i have always hated big guns, but was thingking a win mag is kinda the gun a long range target shooter should have.

the good news is that brownells sells '98 large ring bbls in 300 win mag.....

saw one built on an mn action too....

so guess this is a distinct posibility......

scrapcan
08-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Anything can be built, it is upto the builder and the user to make sure it is safe. If you build it make sure you are not in the magnumize the magnum mindset.

You can take a look at some of the books on building custom sporters out of 98 actions and it will walk you through the steps necessary. Sometimes getting the feed rails configured is a real trick. You can also find individuals that open bolt faces and replace or turn down bolt handles. you might have a look at mauser central.

You might also think about something like a 6.5-06. At one time it was a cartridge that was used for long range. It becomes a handloading proposition, but hey isn't that part of the fun.

waksupi
08-02-2007, 09:13 PM
We've just completed converting a 98 Mauser, to a belted mag. It is a left hand P.O. Ackley (only 50 made), and took some doing. If you tackle the job, remember, everything that Paul Mauser did to those actions, has a purpose. File away too much somewhere, and you have a paper weight. There will be an article coming out on this project in the future, I'll let you know when, and which publication.