PDA

View Full Version : 30-30 Shoulder problem.......

HiVelocity
12-10-2012, 11:24 PM
Okay folks, help me, please.

I'm full length sizing all my 30-30 Winchester brass. I set the dies up properly, and lube each case. Several of the cases the shoulder appears crushed, right photo.

Any idea's as to what I'm doing wrong? Too much lube? (I set the die to just bump the top of the shellholder when fully extended). Should I toss the damaged cases?

Thanks,

HV

Wolfer
12-10-2012, 11:29 PM
Don't get any lube on the shoulder or neck, it's what makes the dimples. Once you shoot them they will be back to normal.

ShooterOnTheLine
12-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Good Information....

btroj
12-10-2012, 11:42 PM
If you are pushing the shoulder back you are also softening case life. I don't get near the solder when sizing 30-30 brass for my Marlin. If it was to get overly snug after 5 rounds or so I might push the shoulder back a few thousandths to ease chamfering but nothinng more.

And those are grea photos of classic lube dents. Too much lube where it doesn't need to be.

GP100man
12-11-2012, 12:13 AM
I lube only the bodys of the 30-30, I mite touch a neck every now&then if the sizing gets a little tuff .

The dents don`t hurt a thing or at least the last 100 times I fired em they did`nt.

Make sure ya die is clean & if there`s a vent hole make certain it`s open .

MtGun44
12-11-2012, 01:54 AM
Cosmetic. Too much lube.

Bill

runfiverun
12-11-2012, 03:03 AM
good thing little girl didn't answer this thread.
she has a thing about dented cases's,they give her the heebejeebies or sumthin.

btroj
12-11-2012, 09:59 AM
18 year old girls get the heebeejeebees from anything Run. I have one on hand and she is guilty as charged.

Those are definite lube dents but will iron out on next firing.

44man
12-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Some guns NEED FL like a lever gun, semi, etc. No power to chamber.
But that is a lube dent. Won't hurt unless it bends the shoulder, increasing run out.
You can still adjust the die for minimum sizing as long as rounds chamber easy. It hurts when deer hunting if you can't close the bolt.

williamwaco
12-11-2012, 10:12 AM
Too much lube is the correct answer but lube has accumulated in the shoulder area of the die.
You need to clean it out. I use break/carburetor cleaner in a spray bottle but you could use any solvent and a cleaning patch.

atr
12-11-2012, 10:20 AM
yea,,too much lube,,,it will shoot so don't toss

captaint
12-11-2012, 10:28 AM
You might try some of that Imperial Sizing Die Wax. Truly a terrific product. Since I bought a little can 25 years ago, I haven't used anything else since. It has the consistency of shoe polish. My original can is still over half full. Again, great stuff. Give it a try. Cheap, too !! enjoy Mike

popper
12-11-2012, 10:52 AM
I get a dimple every once in a while, but 3? Sized 3 times with a dimple each time? Clean that die good.

farmallcrew
12-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Load them and fire them. It will be ok. I have 308s that did that. Shot them and dimples pushed out

uscra112
12-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Too much lube. WAY too much lube. Try this, using RCBS lanolin lube: Drip a blob the size of 2 small primers into a large plastic ziplock baggie, drop in enough cases to 3/4 fill the bag and zip it closed. Knead it for 2-3 minutes to distribute the lube. Viola! If only doing a dozen or so cases, put a 1/2-primer-size blob of lube on the palm of your (clean) hand, and roll the cases between your palms. You should not be able to see any lube on the cases, but they should feel just a bit greasy to the touch. That's all the lube you need.

I suppose this would work with spray lubes, too. Waxes, I dunno. Nothing personal, but I have never understood why people use wax. Lanolin works for everything, and unlike waxes and petroleum products, it rinses off completely with just water, no detergent or solvents needed. In all my years I have never stuck a case in a die, (Scouts' Honor!), and I've done some doozies, like swaging the .223 case down to .315 OD all the way to the base, for making .22 Lovell brass, forming .30 Herrett, forming .219 Zipper from .30-30, etc.

If you're getting lube buildup in your die, you're using way too much.

As others have already said, shooting those cases will blow the dents back out. No worries.

thegatman
12-11-2012, 11:29 AM
Cleaning the die of lube will usually solve the problem. Just don't use too little lube and get them stuck.

Echo
12-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Too much lube. WAY too much lube. Try this, using RCBS lanolin lube: Drip a blob the size of 2 small primers into a large plastic ziplock baggie, drop in enough cases to 3/4 fill the bag and zip it closed. Knead it for 2-3 minutes to distribute the lube. Viola! If only doing a dozen or so cases, put a 1/2-primer-size blob of lube on the palm of your (clean) hand, and roll the cases between your palms. You should not be able to see any lube on the cases, but they should feel just a bit greasy to the touch. That's all the lube you need.

I suppose this would work with spray lubes, too. Waxes, I dunno. Nothing personal, but I have never understood why people use wax. Lanolin works for everything, and unlike waxes and petroleum products, it rinses off completely with just water, no detergent or solvents needed. In all my years I have never stuck a case in a die, (Scouts' Honor!), and I've done some doozies, like swaging the .223 case down to .315 OD all the way to the base, for making .22 Lovell brass, forming .30 Herrett, forming .219 Zipper from .30-30, etc.

If you're getting lube buildup in your die, you're using way too much.

As others have already said, shooting those cases will blow the dents back out. No worries.

A Big +1 - the Ziplock bag trick works, and I also use a Thumler's tumbler. Put a bean-sized blob of Alemite CD-2 (Yeah, I've had it THAT long!) in the tumbler, smear it around, put a 1/2-3/4 load of cases in, and have at it.

LongPoint
12-11-2012, 01:52 PM
When you clean your die, be sure to clean out the vent hole in the die or you will have the same trouble. Good Luck.

LongPoint

DrCaveman
12-11-2012, 03:14 PM
I've had the same issue, occasionally, and I always thought it was from too much lube and lube in the wrong place. This stands to reason since I 'tumble lube' my rifle brass with a few very quick blasts from lithium grease. Does this seem dumb?

I can say that it is way quicker than other methods I've tried and no stuck cases, easy sizing with lee hand press even with 30-06. Oddly, the shoulder only seems to wrinkle with 30-30 brass for me ???

Question: do lee dies have a vent hole? I don't recall seeing one on any of my die sets. Sounds important, from a hydraulics aspect

44man
12-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Vent holes do nothing but let out air.

runfiverun
12-11-2012, 04:09 PM
it might be under your lock ring.
not sure on lee dies in rifle calibers though i only have one set.
just back the die out and work the die down slowly untill you see where the sizing ends at the bottom of the neck.
i wipe my fingers over each case right at the neck area to make sure i don't have a bunch of lube there, and smear them down the case body to the the web area to make sure i DO have lube down there.
i do each case as it goes in the shell holder.
i run a q-tip up into the die and swirl it around a few times to make sure i don't have lube build up in the neck/shoulder area.
and give the die a good cleaning every once in a while.

popper
12-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Vent holes do nothing but let out air. True, but if the air doesn't escape, it will cause the lube to get trapped on the shoulder, which causes the dimples. I had lots of dimples in 308MX brass until I cleaned the hole. I finger wipe the lube on all BN cases and don't worry about getting it on the shoulder (even 30-30). Don't get dimples unless the hole is plugged or in the threaded area of the press.

LongPoint
12-12-2012, 07:14 AM
I agree that the vent hole is there to bleed of trapped air, but if it is plugged, or not there, the trapped air can cause the shoulder to collapse. I bought a set of .223 dies from Dillon a long while back and started having trouble with shoulder dents. I tried all I knew to do, clean the die, less lube, no joy. I called Dillon and was told I was probably using the wrong lube or too much of it. I told the Rep. I was using Dillon lube and I noticed that there was not a vent hole in the die. I was told that the lack of a vent would not cause the problem I was having. I cleaned the die again and ran an unlubed case in, when I got the case out, low and behold the shoulder was dented. I made another call to Dillon and talked to a different fellow, I explained what was going on and a new die was shipped. Problem solved. Good Luck.
LongPoint

BCB
12-12-2012, 07:44 AM
You might try some of that Imperial Sizing Die Wax. Truly a terrific product. Since I bought a little can 25 years ago, I haven't used anything else since. It has the consistency of shoe polish. My original can is still over half full. Again, great stuff. Give it a try. Cheap, too !! enjoy Mike

Same here...

I never used any other lube after trying Imperial Sizing Die Wax...

Good-luck...BCB

cbrick
12-12-2012, 07:46 AM
It hurts when deer hunting if you can't close the bolt.

Strange how a little thing like that can just ruin your whole day. :shock:

Rick

HiVelocity
12-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Well, who says we don't learn anything from spending time reading this forum?

My thoughts and suspicions were correct. Thanks to all who commented.

HV

Rich/WIS
12-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Had that problem with Lyman spray lube but not with Hornady One Shot.

Wolfer
12-12-2012, 07:06 PM
I love the hornady one-shot, a little pricy and doesn't go as far as I would like but quick, simple and effective. I also use Imperial sizing die wax, man this is some good stuff but a little harder to clean off. Still using the can I bought 10 years ago. You can't wipe it on thin enough to not work.

I've often toyed with the idea of mixing with beeswax for lube.