PDA

View Full Version : long term iron mold storage

gutpile
12-10-2012, 07:36 PM
I gave up long ago on iron molds.....could not keep the rust gremilins at bay......I want some designs that i really want/need so now if you only cast with them once a year how can i protect them without mothering them?
I need a 1 to 2 year storage time maybe longer
Hope you guys have ideas????
Gutpile

gutpile
12-10-2012, 07:53 PM
i am wondering if the blocks were WARM, off the handles, wired together and put in a 1/2 pint or pint jar with clean fresh 5w30 covering the blocks a new band and lid, and stored under my barn floor???? how long would they be good for?

Rex
12-10-2012, 08:24 PM
That might work just fine but I think I'd rather buy a can of the non-arisol wd-40 to pickle them in. Don't know if it would work better or not.

smoked turkey
12-10-2012, 08:30 PM
A golden rod in a safe will keep your expensive rifles from rusting. I employ that same technique for my iron (brass too) molds. I have my molds stored on a shelf in the heated gun safe. Works for me so far.

Cherokee
12-10-2012, 08:46 PM
I keep my iron molds in a sealed GI ammo can(s) separated by cardboard, just make sure they are dry when put in. Been doing this for about 40+ years while living in Miami, LA, Dallas, Chicago, Junction City, Kansas City, Pittsgurgh and Ohio. The ammo can was usually in a controlled environment. Only had one develop some surface rust, because it was left out on the bench too long. Maybe I was lucky, YMMV.

S&W-629
12-10-2012, 08:56 PM
I dont know if this is right or not but i leave the last boolit in when im done casting with the spru on and i never had a rust problem here in Vermont

.22-10-45
12-10-2012, 09:00 PM
Hello, gutpile..some of my old Ideals & Lymans only see use every 5 or so years..some longer. For nearly 20 years now, I have been using Mold Saver..an industrial strength protectant..spray when mould is still barely warm..never had a speck of rust..even when stored in basement.

waco
12-10-2012, 09:57 PM
I spray Fluid Film on all of my iron molds after use. Then they just sit on the work bench in the shop untill needed again. Some molds, this means a year or more. Never had a speck of rust yet. The Fluid Film will "gel" up a bit over time, but will always stay on the mold until you remove it. Great product!

imashooter2
12-10-2012, 10:31 PM
A USGI ammo can with a couple of desiccant packs in it has always worked for me. If you want to step that up a notch, the same USGI can with a sheet of VCI paper in it should be pretty much bullet proof.

williamwaco
12-10-2012, 10:53 PM
A USGI ammo can with a couple of desiccant packs in it has always worked for me. If you want to step that up a notch, the same USGI can with a sheet of VCI paper in it should be pretty much bullet proof.

Ditto.

no oil never.

No rust in 50 years.

HATCH
12-10-2012, 11:21 PM
I got some that haven't been touched in 10 years and they have grease on them.. looks and smells like common wheelbearing grease.

res45
12-10-2012, 11:33 PM
I asked Ed Harris a couple years ago about how to best store a couple Lyman iron molds I had bought at a sale. He told me to coat them with USP Mineral Oil. I brush a light coat on mine inside and out,rubber band them together place them in an old sealable plastic container for storage.

When placed on a hot plate to heat before casting the mineral oil burns off and leave no residue whatsoever all you get is a little wisp of white smoke. I've been doing it since I got the molds a couple years go and it's worked great.

http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/CVS-Mineral-Oil-Usp?skuId=152355

Wolfer
12-10-2012, 11:34 PM
Mine set on the dresser in my bedroom. No oil, no rust but their usually used a few times a year.

gutpile
12-11-2012, 01:56 AM
Well I may cast with these once a year or every 5 or 10 years, I a wondering if put in the individual oil filled jars and marked WELL
so I only expose them one at a time where do you buy mold saver or fluid film.....I really liked my iron molds but as a young man then time was in short supply.......Go figure....

gutpile
12-11-2012, 02:03 AM
i have lots of 5w20 15w40 75w140 syn gear lube, 80w90 and grease and some bulk mineral oil.........here anyway its the
humidity is bad but the temp swings in storage is worse

Huntducks
12-11-2012, 04:56 AM
Vacume seal them.

lavenatti
12-11-2012, 07:30 AM
Long term storage - why not use some alox?

Dan Cash
12-11-2012, 07:31 AM
If it absolutely, positively can not be alowed to rust, this stuff, No-Ox-Id by http://sanchem.com/ox.html will keep it safe. Perhaps for eternity.

cbrick
12-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Here's how I keep my molds both rust free AND accessible/ready to use.

Rust Free Mold Storage (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?115858-Rust-Free-Mold-Storage-on-the-cheap&highlight=rust+free+mold+storage+on+the+cheap)

One of the biggest PITA's in casting for me is making sure all traces of oil is completely removed before casting. I never put any oil or anything else on them to store them long or short term. The method in the link has worked very well for me.

Rick

RED333
12-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Send you molds to me, you pay shipping, I will test them well, O yea be sure to send lots of lead for the testing.
I will them store them, then use them every few weeks to be sure they do not rust.
When you want them back just ask, send the money for shipping.:veryconfu

alamogunr
12-11-2012, 12:28 PM
I leave my H&G molds w/handles open on a shelf in my shop. It is air conditioned and heated so there is no wide swing in temp. Have never had a problem. I only have 5 H&G molds.

All my other molds are either in plastic boxes, NOE molds in their original boxes or Lee 6 cavity in original boxes.

Small hi-jack! Does anyone remove the sprue handle on Lee 6 cavity molds? They would take up a lot less room on the shelf if I did. I have quite a few that I got as part of GB's back when.

DrBill33
12-11-2012, 06:11 PM
I find that Ballistol or Kroil (I use both), then o to my wife's vacuum packer, vacuum them (individually) and place them in a container with desiccant packs. has worked well so far!

mpmarty
12-11-2012, 06:29 PM
When I remodeled our kitchen the old cabinets went in my shop. I store all my iron molds with a boolit in them, sprue cut in a drawer. No rust so far....

Ben
12-11-2012, 06:38 PM
gutpile
Boolit Mold
i am wondering if the blocks were WARM, off the handles, wired together and put in a 1/2 pint or pint jar with clean fresh 5w30 covering the blocks a new band and lid, and stored under my barn floor???? how long would they be good for?

If the molds are 100% covered with the oil , they should be rust free for about 17 lifetimes.

Ben