PDA

View Full Version : Noob Needs Mold Suggestion

rgbfoundry
12-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Hey guys. I need your suggestions. I've got a bountiful free source of clean, 98% lead (1% each of tin and antimony). I just won't be happy with myself unless I get a cooker going and melt the stuff down. I know it's not worth a lot of money, but I want to see if I can turn "free lead" into a product in demand.

I'm wondering if I should cast boolits with the intention of selling them, or if I should just make ingots and maybe sell those. I figure as long as I'm melting (no Wizard of Oz jokes please!), I may as well cast something in demand. Fishing weights? A specific caliber or shotgun load? Ingots? I don't reload ammo myself and don't really want to get into that. If I cast one of the Lee Precision molds, do I have a chance of selling them online or at gun shows?

12-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Check the ATF web-site regarding the manufacturing and selling of bullets/boolits. Too, this site has had much discussion about the subject.

rexherring
12-10-2012, 07:16 PM
There are quite a few guys selling ingots on ebay so I would think that's probably your best bet. The alloys I've ordered from ebay were always shipped in priority flat rate boxes, "if it fits, it ships" same rate.

41 mag fan
12-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Become a sponsor here, theres people on here always looking for lead.

nwellons
12-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Become a sponsor here, theres people on here always looking for lead.
+1
I'm still having luck scrounging but will later go back to buying ingots here. They seem to sell out pretty quickly when priced at the going rate.

rgbfoundry
12-10-2012, 09:51 PM
+1
...when priced at the going rate.

So what's the going rate for lead ingots that have 1% tin and 1% antimony mixed in?

MBTcustom
12-10-2012, 10:27 PM
So what's the going rate for lead ingots that have 1% tin and 1% antimony mixed in?

$1 per pound of clean ingots + shipping.
Also, if you intend to sell here you will need to have been a member at least 30 days and have at least 30 relevant posts. These rules are strictly enforced. If you intend to go into business selling in volume then you will need to join the vender/sponsors and keep up with the yearly dues. It can indeed be a lucrative situation if you do it right.

375RUGER
12-11-2012, 11:39 AM
98% lead (1% each of tin and antimony

How do you know this? Certified?
Pouring into ingots is a lot less time consuming than making boolits. If the "as acquired" form is readily shipped, and of known composition, some would rather have it in it's natural state so they know what they are getting and a lot less work for you. Examples: lino type, isotope containers, wheel weights just to name a few

Echo
12-11-2012, 12:55 PM
How do you know this? Certified?
Pouring into ingots is a lot less time consuming than making boolits. If the "as acquired" form is readily shipped, and of known composition, some would rather have it in it's natural state so they know what they are getting and a lot less work for you. Examples: lino type, isotope containers, wheel weights just to name a few

Big +1 - but I like to pay $1/lb including shipping, for raw stuff