PDA

View Full Version : Seating the base below the shoulder?

DeanWinchester
12-10-2012, 02:26 PM
I've always lived by a rule of never allowing the base of a cast bullet to extend below the neck and into the case shoulder area. I've also tried to use the largest bullet diameter I can get in the case without shaving. For all my .30 calibers I use a .311 bullet and I have NEVER seen a spot of lead, anywhere. Now I have a doosey of a problem.

I had a custom mold made by Tom at Accurate. It's a work of art. It makes a beautiful pile of boolits. BUT, due to a math error on my part when I was figuring the bullet length I needed, It's too long to function in my Win 94 magazine.
It's a 180g plain base as seen here.
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=31-180E-D.png

NOW, I can get the bullet deep enough to function but that would mean I would have to have the base below the neck. It wouldn't have to be much and would certainly NOT expose a lube groove.

Opinions? Am I asking for trouble to start developing the load for this boolit? I plan of running RX7 and keeping velocity below 1500 FPS. I'm also lubing with Ben's Red. Last thing I need is a bore full of lead.

Thanks.

Lizard333
12-10-2012, 03:00 PM
I personally have never had a problem seating the boolit that far into the case. I have even seated gas checks into the case with no ill effects. I would give it try. You rifle will tell you what she likes.

popper
12-10-2012, 04:24 PM
You sure it's a feed problem or throat problem? I've seated deep and only had accuracy problems. About like using a GC CB w/o the GC. Looks like ~ .05 deeper. You could try powder coat on that PB to see if that helped.

DeanWinchester
12-10-2012, 04:43 PM
You sure it's a feed problem or throat problem? I've seated deep and only had accuracy problems. About like using a GC CB w/o the GC. Looks like ~ .05 deeper. You could try powder coat on that PB to see if that helped.

Definitely a feed problem. I had to take the magazine tube spring out to get the round out. I dropped it in single shot style and the bolt closed no problem.

GOPHER SLAYER
12-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Dean, I had the same problem with a .308. I rebarreled a Mod 70 30.06 to .308 without condidering the short neck on the .308 case. I know that many cast bullet shooters love the .308 but it didn't work for me. I put the '06 barrel back on the gun, cut the .308 barrel off, rechambered it to 30.30 and installed it on a Ruger #1. Shoots great. As a side note. Have you tried the 311291 in your 94? That bullet shoots in all my 30 calibers.

Dthunter
12-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Thats too bad you trouble with the .308 "gopher slayer"!

I have had tremendous fortune with it. The rifle i am using shoots 1" groups fairly
Often. And I have had handfuls of sub 1" groups as well.
I would guess The Average is barely over an inch, say 1.1-1.2" maximum. I sure takes
Allot of work to figure out the loading techniques, but it is rewarding.

blixen
12-12-2012, 05:23 PM
I've been seating my Lee 180g boolits below the shoulder in my Mod. 94 -- otherwise it jams-- and have been getting good accuracy. Note:I haven't shot them at high velocity.

DeanWinchester
12-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Thanks guys! I got some loaded this morning. Only range time will tell.

Wolfer
12-12-2012, 07:37 PM
I certainly would rather have the base in the neck but the few times I seated it below it worked fine. As I recall the lube groove was still in the neck though.

shotman4
12-12-2012, 11:39 PM
I Have not had problem with check below neck , TILL I tried to crono a few. and at 25ft I blew it to pieces