View Full Version : The Bike

Ben
12-09-2012, 08:30 PM

WILCO
12-09-2012, 08:34 PM
I hate Snopes: http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/bicycle.asp

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Just so you Snopes folks know, they have a severe liberal bend to them, so take what they say about this with a grain of salt.
They just might not like the fact that guy might have gone to war.
I'm not saying one way or another, but I suspect the truth is somewhere in between.

fishhawk
12-10-2012, 12:22 PM
First off a tree does not grow from the ground up it grows from the top up, a fence wire place at 3 ft above ground on a tree will still be 3 ft above ground 20 years later so some one had to place that bike that high in the first place I rather doubt a lad chained it that high up in a tree.

blackthorn
12-10-2012, 01:36 PM
If he was old enough to go to war, he was a MAN!

gwpercle
12-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Somebody placed that bike high up in the tree. Like fishhawk noted trees don't carry things up, they simply grow around them. How many fences would be carried up off the ground if they did. But the bike does make for an interesting legend.

Bob Krack
12-10-2012, 07:11 PM
I will share the respect for the contents of the story but not the story itself. 100 year old rubber still looking like tires, and bicycle seat still recognizable?

bob

WILCO
12-10-2012, 08:19 PM
Just so you Snopes folks know, they have a severe liberal bend to them, so take what they say about this with a grain of salt.
They just might not like the fact that guy might have gone to war.
I'm not saying one way or another, but I suspect the truth is somewhere in between.

I'm not a snopes guy. I just hate the fact they poo poo most things I agree with. Kinda like when I found out Mr. Rogers wasn't a navy seal...........................

starmac
12-10-2012, 11:10 PM
I don't know what a bike looked like in 1914, but i doubt that one is anywhere that old.
I would think a bike would have been a prized possession in 1914 enough that a guy would have sold it off instead of hanging it way up in a tree too.

1Shirt
12-11-2012, 05:28 PM
No use for Snopes either! Way to liberal, and quite often slant or distort truthes!
1Shirt!

frkelly74
12-11-2012, 06:24 PM
There used to be a tree at Fort Wilderness in Disney World that had grown around a push mower someone left leaning up against it. When I saw it it was at ground level and had not been carried upwards at all. The tree is gone now but there is a sign showing where it was. Something is fishy about the picture of the bicycle, in my opinion.

thegatman
12-11-2012, 07:23 PM
That looks like my bicycle that I hung in the tree back when I was 14. Of course, I never lived there and my bicycle was a Schwinn. I never went off to war but I did ride a bike up a tree once and got a concussion. Maybe I am confused? I also had a pedal car but that is another story.