PDA

View Full Version : Cast my very first boolits.

Adam10mm
06-25-2007, 10:30 AM
Cast my first ever bullets Saturday night. Nobody told me about the flame from the impurities' vapor burning. That was pucker factor until my short term memory accessed the ABC's of R section on it saying something about the vapor can be lit by match to burn off. Then I relaxed.

Used a Lee 4# with Lee 45-190-SWC mold using the dipper method. Cast 64 bullets. Only 12 were good. Casting infractions included wrinkled, voids, and mostly not filled out. Verdict: mold too hot on a few. I cranked the heat up. Didn't know what to expect. Voids: maybe a little bit of stuff got in the mold on a couple. **** happens. Still shootable. Not filled out: I had sprue issues, mainly lack of consistency. Grooves not square, bases not square, bullet not square in general. Most of the not filled out ones were toward the bottom of the pot. I couldn't fill both cavities with one scoop of the ladle so I poured in what I had and went back for a little bit. I also think I didn't leave enough of a sprue. I put the rejects and sprue back in the pot for the next run.

Range for the 45cal 190gr nominal bullets were .4525-.4535" with one at.454. They weighed from 184.2-186.4gr, most were 185.X. 64 bullets in 45 minutes.

Yesterday was much, much better. Used Lee 10# bottom pour to cast in a Lee 2cav 10mm-145-SWC. No issues. Cast 103 bullets in 60mins. ZERO REJECTS. COMPLETE 100% PASS RATE. Nominal was .401-145gr and the ranges as cast were .400-.4015" weighing from 146.4-150gr. Got my sprue issues worked out. Used about the size of a dime but made sure the sprues were touching. I filled one cavity and quickly moved the mold over to the second with the spout still open. This gave a seamless stream of lead. Makes a difference. I guess I got my method down.

Had a fan set on top of my bench in the garage on HIGH and the garage door open. Left it on for an hour after casting. No smell of lead in the garage at all. Sweet.

Going to get a 220v hooked up in the garage for that Star 90# melter. Cutting a hole for an exhaust hood there too so I can cast in the garage, especially in the winter. Will be insulated and drywalled by then.

I think I'm hooked. Commercial bullets cost me 5-6 cents a piece. My cost is 3/10 of a cent per bullet! Why did I wait so long to have so much fun?

VTDW
06-25-2007, 11:02 AM
:drinks: :castmine: :mrgreen: [smilie=w: :lovebooli :cbpour:

454PB
06-25-2007, 11:29 AM
Good for you! Each casting session will improve your success and the resulting boolits. Not many people have perfect results the first few times. It's a learning experience.

armoredman
06-25-2007, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the beginner tips - I should be casting in about 1.5 weeks!

Adam10mm
06-25-2007, 01:11 PM
No problem. I used a small rubber mallet to strike the sprue plate and the bolt between the handles (NOT THE MOULDS THEMSELVES, just that bolt) to help the bullets drop. Works very well. Cost $2 at a hardware store.

Main thing is maintenance of the temp of the mold and sprue plate. You want a complete flow of lead from the first cavity to the last. You can heat the mold on the top of the pot side. I leave it there for a few moments before I start or if I set the mould down to flux.

EMC45
06-27-2007, 01:19 PM
Hang on tight this is gonna cost a little bit.

jonk
06-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Woohoo!

Even the best of us sometimes has problems, don't feel bad.

I'd think for your issues, a mold not being degreased, lead too cool, mold too cool, unfluxed metal, or insufficient tin content would be the prime culprits.

RU shooter
06-27-2007, 04:28 PM
Dont feel bad No one told me about the "Flaming pot of lead" either, yeah that was abit startling to say the least !