PDA

View Full Version : 'Lisabeth, I'm commin Lisabeth!!!!!

x101airborne
12-09-2012, 04:43 AM
Lord help me, I just finished my hog hunt for the evening.
I fired 22 rounds from my 7.62x39 AR and another 8 from my supressed Savage 308.
I am a bushed. I am whooped, smoked, tired, gave out, weak, aint got it, old, ignint, cant hack it, etc....
I have killed hogs till I have a blister on my trigger finger.

I am COMPLETELY out of AMMO!!!!!
This has never happened to me before. I dont know what to do.

My camera is a piece, so I will take pics of my biggest hog tomorrow. The scale says 200 pounds even. My back is throwing a flag on the play. That thing looks to be the size of a full grown black bear. I will let the pic speak for its self.

The load for my Savage is 5 grains Red Dot and the NOE 311247 plain base. I love it. I love it. I love it. My Savage is integrally supressed and has a 8 inch barrel inside a baffled tube. It is awesome. And oh so accurate. I mean you could draw artwork at 100 yards with it.
I will admit, I had to put 3 rounds into the big un to put him down. I was firing as fast as a mad man could with a bolt action. What a rush.

So I will sign off till later. Everyone have dreams of dead hogs.
Till tomorrow.
Trey

Hamish
12-09-2012, 05:48 AM
Poor fellow. It's a hard row to hoe, isn't it? @(;^]#>::: (Pics will be good, a long detailed story will be better)

Bad Water Bill
12-09-2012, 06:35 AM
Hamish

Now you let that nice YOUNG BOY alone.

Everyone should have a nice dream like that once in a while.[smilie=s:

sav300
12-09-2012, 06:35 AM
Hamish , true ! Am awaiting the full story.:popcorn:

kbstenberg
12-09-2012, 09:58 AM
HAY Trey How can you just leave us hanging like that!!!

Jim
12-09-2012, 10:53 AM
I'm gonna hafta' show that boy my special 'coon huntin' camera mount so he can video his kills.

dragonrider
12-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Enviously awaiting pictures. [smilie=s:

Bad Water Bill
12-09-2012, 11:37 AM
When his wife hears him calling like that in his sleep we will be asked to either be jurors or carry his pine box. :kidding:

May just need one of us as there will not be that much left of him. :violin:

x101airborne
12-09-2012, 01:24 PM

x101airborne
12-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Yeah, I aint feelin so young this morning. Ugh.

Hamish
12-09-2012, 01:31 PM
(ahem) I know you will need a nap this afternoon, but we will be expecting the harrowing account as soon as you regain your strength. [smilie=w: (Sure do miss living where bacon can be taken as a target of opportunity)

badbob454
12-09-2012, 01:43 PM
nice send some piggy's my way ..... not too many in my neck of the woods (grass valley ca. ) there are some along the ca. coast but not many in my area, sierra foothills .

x101airborne
12-09-2012, 01:47 PM
nice send some piggy's my way ..... not too many in my neck of the woods (grass valley ca. ) there are some along the ca. coast but not many in my area, sierra foothills .

Count your blessings. In a couple years you could be counting crop and acerage damage.

Bad Water Bill
12-09-2012, 01:49 PM
TREY

Now that you have had a GOOD nights rest and survived those terrible nightmares where you were heard all the way to at least Chicago screaming some young ladies name, I am relieved that your BETTER half understands the real strain and tremendous pressures hunters are under each time we venture forth to put meat on the table.:bigsmyl2:

x101airborne
12-09-2012, 02:20 PM
The story is.....
We arrived to the ranch last nite from helping my dad most of the day with his new deerstand. I took the wife out first to sit next to a feeder with my supressed 308 (pictured), but we saw nothing during the day and she wanted to go relax at the cabin. So, I hung up one of those harbor freight magnetic lights to the side of the feeder and took her back to the couch. I sat around for a while, then went out for my typical after dark, dont know when I will be home, got a rifle and an apple walk. I walk up to within about 40 yards of the feeder, fiind a nice flat place to go prone and settled in. I didnt wait long.
About 5 minutes after I got there, you could hear and smell them coming. A small group of about 20 or so. So I check the power setting on the scope, check. Apple not someplace uncomfortable, check. Loaded chamber, check. All I was waiting on was hogs. And lemme tell ya, I shot the very first one that came out. At the shot, the other hogs ran, but were back shortly. And I shot another. Run, return, shot another. Long scenario short, I ran all 5 rounds out of the rifle. Go and get the truck and return with celebratory beer, smoke, and a flashlight. Blood trails all over the place. No bodies. Got the wife and our bloodhound and start looking. We looked and looked and tracked, and looked some more. I could smell the stank of the hogs as we walked along and tracked. Finally two of the blood trails led into some really thick stuff and showed no signs of slowing down, so in the dark without a shotgun, I fell back, regrouped (ie.. Used the Oval Office), and refitted with the AR. Took the truck out to the other side of the ranch where I could overlook a coastal hay field. The grass is short and with the light from our rigs, the grass just glows. Those hogs are VERY visible. Over in the neighbors place, I hear two or more boars fighting. And I mean they was goin at it, Jack! And.... here comes the peanut gallery out of the brush headed to where the boars were fighting. From the INSIDE of the bed of my truck, rested on the top of the cab, I was engaging point targets to 300 meters with precision fire. And the brass keeps runnin runnin, and runnin runnin, and runnin. That barrel got so hot, it cooked my high dollar Krylon finish on the barrel. And, of course, it happened. Bolt locked open. Mag empty. Loaded mag at the cabin. Wife dont answer the phone. Well, I aint leavin! Out of the truckbed into the back seat. There has to be an extra rifle, box of ammo, bow and arrow, SUMTHIN I can use to kill more pigs. Nada. Disappointed, I reach into my pocket for my truck keys and The Angels Started Singin! 3 loose rounds for the suppressed rifle! HAAALEIGHLUIA! Or that is the way I spell it, Webster dont know Texican. Grab the rifle, back in the bed of the truck, bipod, bolt, three rounds loaded, close bolt, safety on, and wait. And wait. And wait. And wait. Well crud, guess they are all gone.
Oh no they aint!!! Here comes those two boars that were fighting. First one catches a round behind the eye, second one takes off runnin. He catches the last two rounds on the run, but never stops.
I am COMPLETELY out of ammo! I mean, I dont have a round to commit harey-carey. My DAD had to bring me a couple extra rounds for my cabin gun!
Guess I coulda used a pocket knife last nite, but eh, 0200, thirsty, needing a back pill, I called it in. Went and picked up the boar pictured, he was closest. Left the rest. Took my Dad out this morning to survey the damage.

So there! Good story, couple pics, good times had by all.
Thanks for all the laughs guys.

x101airborne
12-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Bad Water Bill,
Aint that the truth!

David2011
12-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Now, THAT's a story. Thanks for sharing.

David

Blammer
12-09-2012, 03:06 PM
Wow! Good story.
What's the final hog tally? I'd sure like to see some wound pictures of that 311247. :)

That'll teach ya to run outta ammo!

I'd always make sure I had a box o 50 stuffed somewhere from now on. :)

x101airborne
12-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Well, most of the hogs died somewhere, but not where they were shot. These pigs dont react to shock as easily as deer and yotes do. I located 5 this morning. All were at or just over 200 pounds. I know there are a lot more somewhere, I just dont have the time to go looking and I am not interested in eating them right now, so it's ashes to ashes, dust to dust. I just mainly wanted to have a picture of that boar for the board. (you guys). I appreciate all the pats on the back and atta boys. If I could cut that boars head open without destroying the boolit, that 247 is lodged somewhere in the cranial cavity, but my son is throwing up and I am not gonna leave him to go get stinky again.
I am set on the load, so I will hopefully have some more pics of victims maybe next weekend.

youngda9
12-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Man I wish I lived in hog heaven like that...sounds like a lot of fun. Nothing beats free food roaming year round, and unlimited hunting. Would suck if you were a farmer though.

WILCO
12-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Great thread. Thanks for the report.

x101airborne
12-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Lemme tell ya, we dont farm any more, but we do ranch. Hogs are the #1 threat to decent pastures. They decimate crops, kill wildlife and stock, destroy hay fields and make general driving impossible. That is why I kill them the way I do. It is not huntin, just killin. And I havent gotten into them like this for a long, long time. This is a once in two years or so hunt. Most of the time I will get one if I am lucky. Two and I am doing great. That is why I ran out of ammo. I thought I was crazy for even taking that much. It just doesn't happen often enough to be that prepared. But I will from now on. Cause it is true, you just never know when......

fishhawk
12-09-2012, 04:52 PM
i should come down with the M1A and the NV scope and bring a couple cans of ammo

x101airborne
12-09-2012, 04:53 PM
i should come down with the M1A and the NV scope and bring a couple cans of ammo

When do you have time, brother, when do you have time?

fishhawk
12-09-2012, 04:57 PM
plenty of time just not enough money to go with the time! And i would have to go west first cause i ain't driving through IL!

Idaho Mule
12-09-2012, 05:54 PM
x101, that is a cool thread!!! Sounds like a lot of fun and I would love to come on down and help you out. Heck, I should go down to Texas and visit some folks anyway. JW

x101airborne
12-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Come on! I cant offer much but cornmeal pancakes and a nice roof, but all are welcome!

Hamish
12-09-2012, 07:59 PM
Treasure the moments, thank you for sharing.

Blammer
12-09-2012, 08:31 PM
I'd send you a bar of lead if I thought it help kill some hogs. :)

canyon-ghost
12-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Most of the guys that I talked to, the ones that hunted hogs, said what you did- that those hogs take a big bore and lots of knockdown before they stop at all. Heard of all kinds of guns used, most of them big!

Buttonbuck
12-09-2012, 09:48 PM
I wish I was some commercial sport equipment maker so I could field test the stuff on hogs. Like Fred Bear used to do, only with cast bullets. What does wild boar taste like? I could imagine them tearing up a whole herd of goats.

Springfield
12-09-2012, 10:05 PM
According to Google you are 1800 miles and 26 hours from where I am. If I had the money and time I wold drive there personally and deliver your leather and then go hunting hogs. We have lots of them here in California but the land is all sewn up and they charge you an arm and a leg to hunt them.

Bad Water Bill
12-09-2012, 11:48 PM
I wonder what an OLD Win 94 RIFLE in 38-55 would do to one of them vermin?[smilie=s:

Boerrancher
12-10-2012, 08:21 AM
I wonder what an OLD Win 94 RIFLE in 38-55 would do to one of them vermin?[smilie=s:

It would work wonderfully that is what it would do. You have got to stop waving that and the 22 High Power in front of me my friend. You know how I feel about those to rifles, and every time you mention one of them I start drooling on my keyboard.

That is some great hog killing there Trey. These fellas that don't have hogs and that are wishing for some have no clue as to what they are wishing for. I use to wish for hogs to hunt, but after seeing first hand what happens to an area when the pigs move in I am just glad the folks around here are proactive enough to keep the numbers to a minimum. Hogs destroy everything in their path. Once they are done with an area it looks like it has been plowed, and any wildlife in that area was either killed and eaten or run off. A single pig will kill more fawns than a pack of 20 coyotes in a years time. In the areas we have pigs we don't have deer. I would much rather have deer than a stinking, nasty freaking pig that is unfit to eat. Once again Trey great job on helping rid the world of vermin.

best wishes,

Joe

x101airborne
12-10-2012, 09:18 AM
According to Google you are 1800 miles and 26 hours from where I am. If I had the money and time I wold drive there personally and deliver your leather and then go hunting hogs. We have lots of them here in California but the land is all sewn up and they charge you an arm and a leg to hunt them.

And we could stretch in some of that leather!! No better way to work in a new hoster than to WORK it in!

x101airborne
12-10-2012, 09:35 AM
I wish I was some commercial sport equipment maker so I could field test the stuff on hogs. Like Fred Bear used to do, only with cast bullets. What does wild boar taste like? I could imagine them tearing up a whole herd of goats.

Good morning. I LOVE to eat the small ones. I mean they taste better than any pork you can get in the grocery store. ESPECIALLY right now. They are mostly down on the rivers and creeks eating acorns and pecans and they really do have a nutty taste to the meat. It is mouth watering, lip smackin, finger lickin, BBQ sauce from my nose to my toes, I gotta wear a bib to eat, I have a special set of clothes for BBQ hog, kind of eatin. I will eat so much I wont have room for beer. I love to take anything from the womb size all the way usually to about 150 - 200 pounds. Suckling pigs are the best. I cooked a 75 pounder last week on the pit lazy man style. I got my pit hot with a lot of coals, put the marinated meat on the pit, closed it up tight and went to work out back. 4 hours later, meat was done so I covered in sauce and stoked the coals a little bit to carmalize the sauce on. An hour later, the lawn was cut and garden weeded and supper was ready. Kids and wife came home and we ate right away. It was so good, I was too fat to leave the back porch.

popper
12-10-2012, 10:50 AM
I got 4 20x mags of 308 cast I'd bring if you let me pull the trigger on a few.

x101airborne
12-10-2012, 11:10 AM
I got 4 20x mags of 308 cast I'd bring if you let me pull the trigger on a few.

After we get done with deer season and all these holidays, sure. Come on.

Springfield
12-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Bad Water: that is exactly the rifle I was thinking of using, my 30-30 I converted to 38-55.

DRNurse1
12-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Airborne:

That is a mighty fine offer, sounds like a little local trade is in order for the takers (our local recovered protein for yours). You might be able to keep the hog numbers down if there are enough takers, too. I appreciate the virtual thrill of your hunt and hope to share one of mine soon.

My neatest story so far was a bruin visiting my garbage...did I mention my son left the garage door open?...and recovering about 225 pounds of usable meat on the last day of Bear season. Hardest part was dragging the carcass outside to field dress and then explain to the DEC officer why I was coming from town to the weigh station.

I would love to take a trip south (to Texas, not that other south) after the new year. We have friends in North Texas near the OK border to visit as well.

Stay safe down there and keep the smokehouse full.

Pb2au
12-10-2012, 12:15 PM
Good grief, do you live near a nuclear power plant or something? That thing is an atomic accident.

x101airborne
12-10-2012, 12:43 PM
it is nice, but we have HUGE. I have never seen one, but back in the mid 90's, our hog trap that weighs 1200 pounds or so was lifted up, drug almost 40 feet, turned on its side and had two of the welded panels ripped off. As a teen of 6'2, my hand did not cover its track. I dont have a gun big enough for that pig. I would have to borrow the 700 *** from one of our other members. I think I have posted the picture of my Dad with his 500 pounder and I have killed a bunch of 300 - 400 pounders, so I will look for the pics. My dad, ole cool hand luke, killed his with a single shot to the head with a 6mm remington.

x101airborne
12-10-2012, 12:58 PM

Here are just some old photos. My Dad was 6'3 and 350 pounds when he killed that hog.

My son killed his first hog in this photo with my marlin 44 mag and Ranch Dog 300 boolits.

TXGunNut
12-10-2012, 11:43 PM
Gotta hate it when you run out of ammo away from home, lol. I'll be spending some quality time in Bee County next week, hope I can buy you a cup of coffee. Could even come out of an old blue percolator if we play our cards right.

x101airborne
12-11-2012, 12:22 AM
An ole blue percolator makes the best coffee.
When I came home from Kosovo, Dad gave me a 17.00 Cabelas percolator for Christmas and that was all I got. I admit to being a little disappointed, but not angry or juvenile in any way. I recognised the gift and was thankful.
I told myself, "Self, iffn this is what we have, we are gonna use it." I made coffee on a gas range for about 3 months. I went to visit a friend for a couple weeks to hunt in Alabama and all he had was a regular mister coffee. I wake up with a massive hangover sometime around noon or 2:30, how ever you read a clock, he asked "You want a cup?" Is meat around a pigs gut pork? Yeah, I want one. Black and boiled for about 2 hours through an old sock. If you cant stand up a spoon in it, it aint done. He handed me a cup of something the color of tea. I was polite, drank it like it was great, but it did not wash that dead opossum off my tongue. I went home that evening and made a pot of my coffee and realized...... It is the POT that makes the coffee. I still have that pot and use it every once in a while after the wife goes to work. And occasionally, there is a shot of tile slacker in there for good measure.

Fishman
12-11-2012, 09:24 PM
good grief those are big hogs! I haven't had much opportunity at big ones but the small ones sure are tasty! Add domestic pig back fat to the grind and wow! Good sausage!

x101airborne
12-11-2012, 10:27 PM
good grief those are big hogs! I haven't had much opportunity at big ones but the small ones sure are tasty! Add domestic pig back fat to the grind and wow! Good sausage!

And you got it, brother. That is the way to go. The ferral hog is a gift. Well, one month out of 12. The other months, it is a scurge. But that is the way it goes and it givese the kids a chance to hunt year round. If they can drop a hog with one shot, a deer is a dead duck. (Pun intended).

Bad Water Bill
12-11-2012, 10:37 PM
With all of those hogs you let survive for a little while the aroma must be as bad as the Chicago sewage plant on a nice warm day. [smilie=s:

How do you solve that problem or is it that you also have a very large coyote population as well.:kidding:

x101airborne
12-12-2012, 08:44 AM
Very portley coyotes and I think I own a buzzard farm. And believe it or not, but it it true.... Some of the hogs get eaten by other hogs. A roadkilled deer is some of the best hog bait you couldn't buy!

Wolfer
12-12-2012, 06:21 PM
When I was a kid my dad owned a gas station across the road from the house. Like everybody else in Shannon Co we always kept a few hogs. The local game warden would bring us road killed deer to feed the hogs. WOW we learned at an early age not to get in the pen with blood on you.

nanuk
12-15-2012, 07:24 AM
....supressed Savage 308.
The load for my Savage is 5 grains Red Dot and the NOE 311247 plain base. I love it. I love it. I love it. ...It is awesome. And oh so accurate. I mean you could draw artwork at 100 yards with it. ...
Trey

I am interested in what velocity you think you are getting with that, and what twist on your rifle?

I have a few 30cal single shots that I want to use from my treestand with that boolit and a light load like you have. I am wondering what the performance is. (obviously EFFECTIVE!)

x101airborne
12-15-2012, 09:14 AM
This rifle has a 1-8 twist custom cut shilen barrel. I (think) I am getting around 1000 fps even. I have never chrony'd it, but at 6 grains I am breaking the sound barrier out of my rifle.

x101airborne
12-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Well, just to show how things can turn, I FINALLY got to take my stepson out with his Savage 99 in 30-30 deer hunting Saturday evening. The deer were there, but we had some crazy weather and the scent was just swirling. Heard the deer snorting, but none came out. Later, I took the boy out hunting for hogs with the nite vision. We hunted the same place that started this thread till 0230 in the morning and nothing. I just cant wrap my head around it. All those hogs, then nothing. Oh well, that is hunting!