PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the 2012 Lee manuals.......

3006guns
12-08-2012, 07:48 PM
I want to give my stepson a Lee reloading manual for Christmas, but I've never personally looked through one. I'm assuming it has the usual basic reloading information and then load data in both rifle and pistol. What I'm curious about is whether it uses the older "standard" powders, such as IMR, Unique, 2400, etc. He has reloaded for his .300 Savage, using some IMR 3031 that I gave him. He now has an AR in .308 and a Smith and Wesson in .357 magnum.

The reason I ask is that many of the newer manuals reflect the use of the newest, latest and greatest powders and he'll probably be dipping into my stockpile until he buys his own. Most of mine is IMR, Alliant and Trail Boss.

troyboy
12-08-2012, 08:07 PM
The new Lee book has up to date reloading data. It is money well spent and a reliable source for load info.

captain-03
12-09-2012, 01:11 AM
It has it all -- while Unique, IMR, etc maybe old -- they are still relevant!!

WILCO
12-09-2012, 04:10 AM
I've always enjoyed the LEE Manuals. Safe information from a trusted friend.

3006guns
12-09-2012, 07:12 AM
Thanks a lot guys..........I'll order one today.

zuke
12-09-2012, 08:03 AM
Worth it for the first 100 page's alone.Especially the reduced load's and how to calculate them with a given alloy

Wayne Smith
12-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Lee's data is all from other sources. Mostly from powder companies data. Granted that the first 100 pages are worth the cost, the data isn't. Nothing there you can't get from the relevant company.

jcwit
12-09-2012, 01:24 PM
Lee's data is all from other sources. Mostly from powder companies data. Granted that the first 100 pages are worth the cost, the data isn't. Nothing there you can't get from the relevant company.

But its sure nice having it all compiled in one book instead of checking this manufactures booklet or where did I lay that other one, hey wait that one is now 10 years old, etc., etc.

RobS
12-09-2012, 01:46 PM
But its sure nice having it all compiled in one book instead of checking this manufactures booklet or where did I lay that other one, hey wait that one is now 10 years old, etc., etc.

Agreed

DRNurse1
12-09-2012, 01:54 PM
I agree with having the data in one location but am concerned about the accuracy of the editing. Has anyone had issues, is there somewhere that errors are reported and updates provided?

jmort
12-09-2012, 02:01 PM
For the money Modern Reloading is a great deal, as are most all Lee Precision products. As noted, the "history of reloading" is worth the price of admission. I tend to use powder manufacturer on-line.

jcwit
12-09-2012, 04:13 PM
I agree with having the data in one location but am concerned about the accuracy of the editing. Has anyone had issues, is there somewhere that errors are reported and updates provided?

I know of no issues with the Lee Reloading manual, however I've read of issues in other manuals having a case of wrong data. Most everyone has misprints at one time or another. This is not a perfect world we live in.

fishhawk
12-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Well if you are going to depend on the data from one manual there will be a problem some time. I check the data from 3 manuals and if any of the data is more than 3 grains higher than the other 2 it's prudent not to use it.

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-10-2012, 12:16 PM
I like the new Lee book as well. I have 6 different manuals form various companies.
I'd suggest you get one of the old Lyman books as well. My dad has one from the 30's
and it has some stiff loads in there compared to today's lawyer laden world

joec
12-10-2012, 05:29 PM
The main accuracy errors I find is using their disk measuring system which I do like. I tend to try it for a few powder drops, measuring before committing to it being close enough for me. I usually have to step up a size of two to get exactly what it is supposed to be though depending on the powder.

jcwit
12-10-2012, 08:58 PM
The main accuracy errors I find is using their disk measuring system which I do like. I tend to try it for a few powder drops, measuring before committing to it being close enough for me. I usually have to step up a size of two to get exactly what it is supposed to be though depending on the powder.

Right, I think their lawyers said to be better safe than sorry!

Boyscout
12-13-2012, 08:53 PM
I like the Lee manual for its information on casting. My biggest complaint about Lee is the fact that they don't have loading data for many of the bullet moulds they make.

Wayne Smith
12-14-2012, 10:47 AM
I like the Lee manual for its information on casting. My biggest complaint about Lee is the fact that they don't have loading data for many of the bullet moulds they make.

That's the point. Lee doesn't have load data for their boolits because they have never developed any load data. Lyman has developed load data for their own and some of Lee's boolits. I'd rather support Lyman for that reason alone.

ErikO
12-14-2012, 05:43 PM
You will never have a failure if you use their recipes. Even their max loads seem to be below SAMMI specs from the ones I've checked.