PDA

View Full Version : New guy, Hello all

Highway41
12-07-2012, 02:15 AM
Hello all.
Don't know if this is where this belongs but here goes.

My name is Tracy. Been out of guns and shooting for almost 20 years. But the time has finally come for me to reenter my favorite hobby. Had cancer in 2011 (in remission now) then earlier this year my marriage fell apart. After the chemo last year a buddy from work invited me to hunt on his deer lease and even loaned me his .270. I took the first deer ever, a very nice 8 pointer on my first day. That's what got the gunpowder and lead back in my system.

I was a LEO many years ago and cast a lot of boolits for the reloads I put together for dang near every officer in 3 different counties.

Waiting on my new Blackhawk 41 to arrive at the LGS. I have always preferred handguns to long guns (my favorite duty weapon was a 5 1/2" ss Redhawk in 41) and can't hardly stand the wait for my Blackhawk so I can take it to the lease, most shots where I hunt are in the 20 - 50yd range and for some reason it just doesn't seem fair to throw high speed torpedoes at them when they are that close.

OK, guess I've rambled enough. Lots of questions and catching up to do. Thanks for listening.

Tracy

Sent by high speed racing turtle via Tapatalk2.

Mooseman
12-07-2012, 02:18 AM
Welcome Aboard Tracy !!!

Rich

12-07-2012, 07:16 AM
Welcome, and good luck hunting with the Ruger.

dragonrider
12-07-2012, 08:07 AM
Hi Tracy, welcome

**oneshot**
12-07-2012, 08:08 AM
Welcome!! Love the 41 myself. I have a 41mag BH hunter model and use it for hunting and IHMSA shooting.

x101airborne
12-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Hello, Tracy.
Welcome to the board. Lots of good people here and we are all family, so thank you for joining us.
From a fellow Texican and 41 mag fan, if you ever need some boolits or borrow a mold or anything, I am a click away. Congrats on beating the cancer. My mom and a couple aunts have had different cancers, so I know it can be hard. My poor mom, she really grew a stiff upper lip when she had hers. She just said "I'll be D***ed if this is gonna beat me." And sure nuff, she was right. Tuff old bird, she is.
Anywho, welcome and like I said if you need anything or want to chat sometime or want to visit the coastal plain, gimme a shout.
Trey
361-772-6229

Wayne Smith
12-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Welcome to the madness. You already know it's hopeless, so jump back in and have fun!

41 mag fan
12-07-2012, 09:35 AM
Welcome Tracy. grab a cup of joe and start reading....many many many threads of usefull info esp in the archives.
P.S. Good pick of caliber, as my user name shows what i like.

Ben
12-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Welcome Tracy ,

You'll learn a lot here ! !

A great place to spend some time and drink a little coffee.

Best to you,

Ben

Moonie
12-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Welcome, I recently purchased my first single action revolver, a Blackhawk 45/45 Convertible. Have fun with it, I am with mine.

rexherring
12-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Welcome to the nuthouse. Lots of fine "Nuts" here. My Blackhawk is my favorite deer gun too.

Olevern
12-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Welcome to the madness! Good folk here, to be sure. Many current and former LEO's as well. If you're about guns, loading and casting, you're a good fit. As has been suggested, spend some time reading the stickies; lotsa good stuff there.

As for your choice of handguns, none better than Ruger single actions:

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac56/Olevern/DSC_8590.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac56/Olevern/DSC_8012.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac56/Olevern/32twoweb.jpg

Don't have a .41 mag yet, but it is on my "to do list". Let us know when you score on game with it.

blessings,
vern

farmallcrew
12-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Welcome!!! You will learn everything you ever wanted to know on here and then some. Enjoy the reading.

Highway41
12-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Thanks to all for the welcome. Did a little lurking before I signed up and was very impressed by the 'caliber' of the users and a lack of snarkiness. And it is nice to see so many fans of the Perfect Magnum here.

Oneshot - very interested in your hunting experience with the Perfect Magnum.

X101- thanks for your generous offers, will have to take you up on them in time. As for the cancer, chemo definitely ain't no cake walk but I saw others who had it a lot worse so can't really complain.

41 mag fan - yeah about that user name... Grrr, grumble grumble, pout. Lol.

Olevern - love the gunrack, woodworking is a minor side hobby, gonna have to make one of those for an 'excuse' to fill it. Heck, might have to make two or three for added motivation.

Crawdaddy
12-07-2012, 10:48 PM
Greetings and welcome aboard Tracy!

Sorry to hear about your cancer, you will be in my thoughts and prayers as well as others i am sure.

I killed my first deer at 28 so I can t totally relate to what you are feeling with your first deer.

Enjoy that new gun. If you decide to start casting and reloading again, you will find a lot of knowledgeable and helpful people here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatal

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-07-2012, 10:55 PM
Welcome Tx,
this is the best forum of it type that I've found.
I also love the 41
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/rightsidecastpicsubmission1-13-12.jpg

If you need some cast hunting boolits for the 41...Let me know
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/checkinstalled.jpg

Highway41
12-08-2012, 12:20 AM
Crawdaddy,
Appreciate the thoughts and prayers.

You were way ahead of me with your first deer. Got mine just before my 45th birthday.

Got back into reloading already doing a little bit for my 308 Win. But I really seem to prefer handguns. Heck I won't have my BH for a couple more weeks but I already got the dies and 200 XTPs, gonna make the hour trip to see my dad soon and pick up some tula primers where I can get a better price. And I got a deal going with a forum member here on a bunch of jacketed and a few cast 41s he doesn't need anymore.

The only sad thing is that somewhere during the last few moves all my load log books got lost.

Highway41
12-08-2012, 12:36 AM
Jon_B - okay we seriously have to talk about those grips. They are the most beautiful I have ever seen. Where on earth can I find some for myself?

Are those hp's from the 250 grain mold I saw in one of the group buy threads here? Most of what I have (or have coming) is in the 200 - 215gr range. I am really interested in the heavier boolits both solid and hp for hunting and would definitely like to try some out.

Found some starline brass for $22/100 shipped and got a couple of bags on the way. So hopefully I'll have enough components together by the time my BH arrives to start working up some loads.

Back to the grips... Beautiful, just beautiful.

Sweetpea
12-08-2012, 12:51 AM
[QUOTE=Tx308;1949001]Jon_B - okay we seriously have to talk about those grips. They are the most beautiful I have ever seen. Where on earth can I find some for myself?

Ummmm yeah...I have to agree with this... I put a hogue monogrip on mine, but if I had some stocks like that, I think the pretty would make the recoil easier to handle!!!:Fire:

Gliden07
12-08-2012, 01:25 AM
Welcome aboard!! I took about 8 years off from Compitition shooting and started to shoot my 45 in local IDPA matchs, thats what got me back into it!! So I hear ya!!

9.3X62AL
12-08-2012, 01:48 AM
Welcome to the asylum, TX 308! I'm a long-time fancier of the Ruger single-actions, and more recently (2003) added the 41 Magnum to the stable. GREAT HUNTING CALIBER--I use it with the Barnes Copper Condor Cuddler bullets in the local deer zones, where lead boolits ist verboten. Far from the screwiest laws out here in the People's Republic of Kalifornistan. I do escape to Nevada and Arizona to visit the United States frequently.

sav300
12-08-2012, 06:45 AM
TX 308,welcome from down under,

hiram1
12-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Good to have you here have fun with us

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-09-2012, 12:26 PM
Jon_B - okay we seriously have to talk about those grips. They are the most beautiful I have ever seen. Where on earth can I find some for myself?

Are those hp's from the 250 grain mold I saw in one of the group buy threads here? Most of what I have (or have coming) is in the 200 - 215gr range. I am really interested in the heavier boolits both solid and hp for hunting and would definitely like to try some out.

I bought this BH from a forum member, the grips were included and were handmade by the seller's father. All I can say is, I got lucky on this purchase.
If I were to have some custom grips made, I'd first look to the members here, I know of one that does work that as good or better than what is on my gun and I imagine there are more. here's a link to the one.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?147389-Figured-Birch-Rugers

The HP Mold is from a NOE groupbuy 2+ years ago. the Mold says "41 Cal. Keith"
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?62477-New-41-Caliber-Keith-Group-Buy-is-HERE
it weighs 212 as a hollow point with my soft alloy, I haven't cast any with a FN. If you want something heavy...I have a Ranchdog tumble lube mold in 41 cal. 255gr. FN. I can cast these as Plain base or with a Gas check shank. The Ranch Dogs wesite is closed and I don't have a photo in my library. But here is a short thread about it. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?163941-Ranch-Dog-s-411-255-RF-in-a-Blackhawk

Idaho Mule
12-09-2012, 06:27 PM
TX308, welcome, these people here are the best on earth and you will learn well from them. I hope the best for you on the cancer. 41 is also one of my favorites, I have an older stainless RH with 7.5" brl. and a BH blue with 6". JW

DLCTEX
12-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Welcome from the East side of the panhandle!

AKtinman
12-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Welcome aboard a great forum, Tracy! Congratulations on winning your battle with cancer.

I haven't been a very active shooter for the past few years due to taking care of an older relative, then having our oldest daughter live with us for 9 months this year during her battle with the big "C". She just got married and seems to be doing well. I can identify with some of what you have been through.

You deserve to have some quality time having fun and relaxing. Shooting and reloading is good therapy. Enjoy it to the fullest.

I was fortunate to meet JonB (with the beautiful Ruger) at a gun show a couple of months ago. One fine guy!

You will meet lots of fine folks on this forum. Again, welcome!

crazy mark
12-13-2012, 12:05 AM
Glad to hear you are in remission. Cancer isn't any fun. me x's 2. I really like 32 and 41 mags.

Highway41
12-13-2012, 12:23 AM
AKtinman - congratulations and best of luck to your daughter.

Up until last year it had been 17 years since the last time I shot a gun. Long story that I have now divorced. I sold off all my guns during the first two years of my last marriage. Now my retirement plan is a Roth Ira and a minimum of one gun a month (or other equivalent shooting related hard asset). So feel better I guarantee you've shot more than I have.

I lurked around here for a little while before signing up. Great info, advice, and conversation lured me in and I'm here to stay.

Highway41
12-13-2012, 12:27 AM
Crazy Mark - hope you're in remission now. I have good days and bad days with the fear mine might return. Glad to meet another perfect Magnum fan. Still waiting on the one I have ordered to show up. Got everything but the gun.

WRideout
12-13-2012, 07:31 AM
Welcome! I shot my first deer at age 58; persistence works.
Wayne