PDA

View Full Version : I just can't find a good pair of boots.

MBTcustom
12-07-2012, 12:05 AM
I know this is totally unrelated to shooting, but seriously, I would really appreciate some opinions on who makes the best work boots.
I used to wear Redwing boots, but about ten years ago, I found out that the soles don't hold up and the heels wear out too soon. I only got 8 months out of that pair.
Then I tried Justin boots. I got a good pair that lasted me almost two years, so I bought another set. The new set didn't last because again the heels wore out. I was told that Justin is not holding the standards of quality that they used to. I asked around and was told that Timberland Pro makes a darn good lace up boot, so I bought two pairs of those about 9 months ago. Now the tread is peeling off the home pair (non steel toe) and the sole is cracked in two on the work pair (steel toe).
All I want is a good pair of pull on or lace-up steel toed boots that give good support and will last me two years. Seems like I used to buy a pair of boots and I would get more than 3 years out of them, but now, I am just dumping money on junk that doesn't hold up.
I would appreciate any input from you fellers.
I am a machinist, (employed and business owner) so I am standing on concrete for 12+ hours a day.
Do any of you fellers wear the same boots you bought two years ago, and still like them?
Thanks

Sweetpea
12-07-2012, 12:45 AM
Hey, Tim... can't really help you out with the two years thing... I work construction, and am constantly on my feet, up and down stairs and ladders... I personally feel that if I have my heavy boots last 2 seasons( I wear lighter boots in the summertime) then I have got what I paid for... the key is, you have to pay for it!

I am wearing Georgia boots now, and like them a lot. I wore Cats for years, but they made the shafts smaller, and I can't get my big feet in them anymore! Justins seem to be very comfortable.

Comfort is the key. If you hurt, you won't be as efficient. Pay for the comfort and replace as needed.

bruce drake
12-07-2012, 12:49 AM
IF your heels are wearing out from dragging your feet or striking the heel first on the concrete is causing the heels to cup up, than purchase some heel plates and tap them onto each of the heels. Better to have to replace the heel plates than to replace the heels every 3-6 months.

possom813
12-07-2012, 12:59 AM
I wear Wolverine Durashocks.

I have two pair that I bought in 2005 that I rotate in and out about once a month. I recently put in some gel inserts, but they'er still going strong at 4 on 4 off on concrete 12-18 hours a day.

**oneshot**
12-07-2012, 08:14 AM
When I worked on concrete all day I wore Wolverine Durashocks. They don't have deep treads, but are very slip resistant. I'd have to say they were the most comfortable boots I wore to work.
They sucked in the outdoors, not enough tread on leaves and stuff. I'll get you the model #.

MBTcustom
12-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Thats great, Thanks!
I don't mind paying, and I don't mind if I honestly wear them out, but the failures that have been happening are just poor workmanship! I used to think that I might drag my heels but with this new pair of boots, the heels are wearing just fine. I think what I do is put my heel down first, and it rotates a little as I follow through the step. Some of these boots sole's are so soft they just wear out too soon. So, I buy a new pair of Redwings for $180 and go through the week and a half of foot pain until they are broke in, then I have to do it all over again 8 months later? No bueno! At least with lace up boots there is no "break in" but I fight athletes foot constantly because they don't breath like a pull on boot.

**oneshot**
12-07-2012, 08:47 AM
W03120 This is the safety toe model. I know they have a non safety toe, or at least they did. I ordered one off the boot truck at work and they sent me the non safety toe and had to exchange them.

MBTcustom
12-07-2012, 08:49 AM
I just looked up the Durashocks, those are cheap! Seems like a had a bad experience with wolvarines once but that was many moons ago. Maybe I should give em another go.

BeeMan
12-07-2012, 09:01 AM
If you like the uppers and foot support of something you have but are wearing out the bottoms, consider getting new soles. A good shoe repair shop may save you money over buying new and at the same time give you a combination of the best uppers and soles. If foot beds can be updated with inserts that can be a low cost but effective fix when needed.

375RUGER
12-07-2012, 10:55 AM
I've had a pair of Wolverine Guardian Carbonmax just shy of 2 years now, have worn them everyday except Sunday morning. They need replacing now. The soles show wear but are not worn out, there's still a few miles on them. The stitching on the uppers has let loose in a few places. I'd buy another pair but maybe put some superglue on all the seams to see if it stretches the life a little. In all fairness though, I abuse my boots. Dungarees is a good online retailer.

I'll tell you though, I had a pair of Sketchers steel toe sneakers once that were real comfortable and durable. I know they lasted at least 2 years, IIRC more like 3. I've been thinking about getting another pair of those, but I'm a little torn at the moment because I like an 8" boot.

May not have helped but that has been my experience.

fishhawk
12-07-2012, 10:59 AM
http://www.weinbrennerusa.com/ these are made just north of me Tim

kenyerian
12-07-2012, 11:11 AM
I've had very good luck with the Rocky Line of IronClad Boots http://www.rockyboots.com/Product-Details/9417/1600FQ0006468/Rocky-IronClad-Internal-MetGuard-Pull-On-Boots/ very comfortable and rugged. I prefer the slip on Wellingtons.

Trey45
12-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Another vote for Rocky's. Great boots, comfortable and well made. I've had mine one year so far now and still going strong.

boltons75
12-07-2012, 11:26 AM
I have a real nice pair of Ariat steel toed work boots that have been going strong since 07'. They are a western not company, but they have great support, lace up and the soles are just starting to wear a bit.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

elk hunter
12-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Whites and Nicks are two of the preferred brands for Loggers and firefighters in my part of the world.

I wear West Coast and like them.

http://www.whitesboots.com/

http://www.nicksboots.com/

http://www.westcoastshoe.com

MBTcustom
12-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Thanks fellers. I value your advice. That certainly gives me something to go on.

Doc Highwall
12-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Tim, the factory I work in has only a Stone Hard floor and we are required to wear safety shoes.
The most comfortable that I have worn look like sneakers and are made by Durham, and I bought them with the orthotic insole. They are without doubt the most confortable safety shoes I have worn, and the soles hold up.
They are a lot more confortable when it gets hot.

dragonrider
12-07-2012, 12:58 PM
I have been wearing redwings for some time now and the newest pair I have better than other I have had the model # is 2491 and they have a unique ratcheting mechanism for the laces which are vinyl coated steel cables. Made in USA, with imported materials. So far I like them. They are also lighter that other boots I have had.

bruce drake
12-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Well, I could say my Corcoran Jump Boots are my most comfortable boot for all day standing...but I'd be lying. Since we've went to Suede Boots in the Army and I've been assigned away from the 82nd and 101st Divisions those boots of mine have been laying in the closet collecting dust...Might have to dust them off to retire out in them in a few months!

montana_charlie
12-07-2012, 01:21 PM
So, I buy a new pair of Redwings for $180 and go through the week and a half of foot pain until they are broke in,
If you are like me, you probably know exactly what size boot you need.
If you let the Red Wing shoe salesman decide what size you need, the boot might fit you better.

The size of the Red Wing boot I wear today is nothing like the size of the boots I wore all of my life.
And, I (too) spent half of a lifetime just 'breaking them in'.

CM

Firebricker
12-07-2012, 02:10 PM
I buy nothing but Thorogood boots anymore I've had lots of Redwings and like them but the Thorogoods have held up better and more comfortable. FB

William Yanda
12-07-2012, 02:13 PM
I work construction and wear Timberlines and a custom orthotic insole, I did experience the steel shank breaking a couple of times but they were replaced, no questions. Fortunately there is a Timberline outlet store reasonably close. Unfortunately, the Black and Decker outlet store that was there as well closed.
If I found a pair of boots that took a week and a half to break in, I'd pour 1/2 cup of water in each one and wear them dry.
Absorbine Jr. is death on athlete's foot.
Goop, a urethane glue does a pretty good job of extending the life of sneakers. Might even help work shoes

upr45
12-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Electrical worker (tech) here -- in power plants (concrete & steel decks with lots of vibration), switchyards (lots of small rocks), frequently on feet in same spot for long periods of time. Last 3 pair of boots are Wolverine durashock waterproof, safety toe. I put on a lot of miles & usually work long days -- they are the most comfortable work boots I ever wore. They are slightly insulated, which I do not find uncomfortable in winter(to -20F here) or summer(to 110F in power plants). The safety toe is a fiberglass composite, which does not get as cold in winter & also has never torn thru the leather. If your feet get wet -- use a shoe dryer -- that makes them last longer & keeps the scent manageable.

Silvercreek Farmer
12-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Buy two pairs of boots and alternate daily, it will allow them to dry out completly between wearings, should help with the itch. Maybe try some powder too (in conjuntion with a fungicide). Might also try changing your socks at midday. I only had AF once, but that was enough!

montana_charlie
12-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Absorbine Jr. is death on athlete's foot.
Worked for me, too.
And, when you put it on, it FEELS like it's killing something.

CM

daniel lawecki
12-07-2012, 05:47 PM
I buy Knapp boots Tried several red wings wolverines and others 34yrs I'm hooked on Knapp I drive 60miles for then.

koehn,jim
12-07-2012, 07:24 PM
I also would suggest Redwing but have you tried rubber work mats on the floor. They do a lot to make things better.

MtGun44
12-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Looking online, I find Timberland, but no Timberline. Is this Timberland or do I need to keep looking?

Bill

MBTcustom
12-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Sorry, it is timberland. For the record I am not endorsing their products!

Montana Charlie, the last time I let the salesman fit a pull-on boot to my foot, my feet were flopping around in them a month later. Part of this is due to my strange foot size (13EEE). Used to be, the only way for me to get a shoe that fits was to buy boots for length and break them in, and its still that way to a certain extent.

Wolfer
12-07-2012, 08:12 PM
[QUOTE=montana_charlie;1948511]Worked for me, too.

I understand it works on jock itch too. They tell me to get a good hold on something heavy before you put it on, slows down the runaway!!!

MBTcustom
12-07-2012, 08:13 PM
[QUOTE=montana_charlie;1948511]Worked for me, too.

I understand it works on jock itch too. They tell me to get a good hold on something heavy before you put it on, slows down the runaway!!!

I have officially learned a little more in this thread than I planned to!

montana_charlie
12-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Montana Charlie, the last time I let the salesman fit a pull-on boot to my foot, my feet were flopping around in them a month later. Part of this is due to my strange foot size (13EEE).
I have a hunch you have had some guys from the BFRO following you for a decade, or so, and you're driving them crazy.
But, it sounds like you would benefit from some custom made boots. Yeah, they cost ... but they fit good and they last (if the maker is a good one). He is also a natural choice for new soles and heels when needed.

Doesn't really matter much. You can only go so fast when backing away and gasping for breath ...

HangFireW8
12-07-2012, 09:42 PM
About 10 or so years ago was the switch to CFC-free manufacturing and even the Vibram soles got a lot faster wearing out.

I'm done with multi-pound clod hopper boots. I wear Keen now with Birkie inserts for support of my falling arches. No more foot pain, less tired at the end of the day, and the inserts cost $60 not $375 like the custom podiatrist inserts that made my feet worse.

HF

Dark Helmet
12-07-2012, 10:30 PM
I like my Wolverines, but everytime i find a really good style they're discontinued when it comes time for a new pair.

DLCTEX
12-07-2012, 10:50 PM
I wore out Red Wings in a year until they started putting the soft rubber black soles on. The last pair went more than five years and the current pair have six years on them. They look rough now but are still worn almost every day. I was telling my wife tonight that I was due a new pair.

MT Gianni
12-08-2012, 01:16 AM
Tim, I bought a pair of Whites Hawthorn boots 4 years ago. I wear them 5-6 days a week,putting them on @ 6:00AM and most days they don't come off for 13-15 hours. I wrecked on a motorcycle a couple of years ago and scratched up the stitching on one side. I had them resoled this year and restitched. I expect them to go about 4-5 years before they need more attention. I have to add an aftermarket insole but they last.

RU shooter
12-08-2012, 10:58 AM
I also wear redwing boots every day on a cement shop floor and I agree the soles wear fairly quick but the upper is still in fine shape . Why not find some one to just re sole it with a harder rubber .

dragon813gt
12-08-2012, 11:34 AM
I wish I could help but after North Face became a designer brand. They discontinued the boot style I wore for around eight years. I've been looking for over a year now for a suitable replacement. You shop guys have a huge selection when it comes to boots. I need lightweight waterproof boots for my job. And unfortunately I have a narrow foot which NO company makes boots for anymore. Redwing does but only in models which don't have Gore-Tex. Having a narrow foot and needing work boots is a frustrating combination. I will stop complaining now :)

The quality on all boots has gone down. None of them last like they should. If you really want to annoy yourself go to Redwing's website and see how many boots overall are available. Now set to the filter to Made in the USA. Not the result it should be for that company.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Superfly
12-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Bates boots model 918 about 100 bucks and you will thank me latter The only boot that does not hurt my hips or knees are made for working on concreat and the tarmack of a air port from what i was told.

They are Super light not hot steel toed and feel like running shoes.

And they last a damn long time. I used mine in a welding shop for 8 hours a day and they lasted for a few years at a time and they a re not expensive.

Jaime

Idaho Sharpshooter
12-08-2012, 08:39 PM
White's Logging or Packer Boots from Idaho. I bought a pair in 1978. Ten years later, I sent them back to be resoled. Ten years later, I had to do it again. In 1995 or 96 I had them rebuilt. They are about due for another resoling.

white eagle
12-08-2012, 10:32 PM
think about the time you are putting in those
and you expect them to last two years ...Good luck
most all the American named boots are not made here
...they make em different across the sea
If I get 6 mths out of a pair of every day boots I feel lucky

horsesoldier
12-09-2012, 12:17 AM
I wear zamberlan hunting boots year around. Exspensive, but you get what you pay for

Lee W
12-09-2012, 08:40 AM
My favorite. Made in the USA with leather made in Chicago. Do a search, I found them for under $120..

http://www.wolverine.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/25917M/0/Mens/Plainsman-Wolverine-6-inch-ST-EH-Boot?dimensions=0

Idaho Mule
12-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Tim, White's Boots, Spokane,WA. I have been wearing their boots since 1981. They will measure your feet and custom make them to fit, and they do fit. They also rebuild your boots for about half the cost of new. The only thing "old" when you get them rebuilt is the upper. Trust me, I have been very hard on boots in my lifetime as a mechanic, lineman, packer. They build a quality boot that cost money but they go the extra mile. I think I've only wore out 3 pair since 81. I presently have 4 pair that I rotate. I usually go thru 3 or 4 re-sole jobs from a local shoe shop before I have to send them back to White's for rebuild and they are usually good for 3 or 4 rebuilds before White's laughs at you when you bring them in. JW

1bluehorse
12-09-2012, 07:31 PM
One more endorsement for White Boots of Spokane, Wa. Kinda spendy, hand built to last...takes a bit to break in (there are a couple short cuts for this) and they have a lot of arch support that takes some a while to get used to but they are the best boots you can put on your feet bar none....

Lloyd Smale
12-11-2012, 05:28 AM
yup id add whites to the list of west coast and redwings. Ive used them and there a good boot.

19112TAP
12-11-2012, 09:48 AM
West coast boot company, the pair I wear I don't want to take off and look forward to putting them on in the morning but they take a long time to break in.