PDA

View Full Version : Stack-On gun cabinets...

Silvercreek Farmer
12-06-2012, 03:25 PM
I know Stack-on Gun cabinets are at the low end of the spectrum, but my lock cylinder failed on me last night. At least the cabinet was open and I did not have to drill it out. I was able to take it appart and get it working well enough to lock the cabinet up. A call to Stack-On had another one on the way, no charge, and the only question was how long I had the cabinet. Anyone else have similar experiences?

starmac
12-06-2012, 04:34 PM
I didn't even know stack on made gun cabinets. I have looked at their tool boxes and they are not something I consider even usable.

Love Life
12-06-2012, 04:50 PM
I have one of the stack-on gun cabinets for a couple years. I have had no issues.

Starmac is about right though. All mine is is a big chunk of sheet metal that happens to have hinges and a lock. I seriously doubt it would hold up to a fire, and anybody with the time and a pry bar can get it open. Although it is so light if I were the theif I would just tote it out the door since it is so light.

I bought it to have a place to store my guns and keep my daughter out of them. If my guns get stolen that is what my USAA valuable goods policy is for.

dagger dog
12-06-2012, 05:02 PM
I've had mine for 8 or 9 years nothings broken yet.

I ain't had any of my guns fall out on the floor, with it full of guns it's too heavy to pick it up and tote it out, and they do come with lag bolts and washers to bolt 'em down.

You may be able to skin one , or knock the door off with a hammer,but it keeps the kids out, and beats the hell out of storing guns under the bed!

starmac
12-06-2012, 05:05 PM
I have never invested in an actual gunsafe, at least one of mine was given to me when I was a kid and although it is nothing special, it could never be replaced. Those that I've bought or traded for over the years could be replaced if need be.

starmac
12-06-2012, 05:08 PM
I know it isn't politically correct, but my kids were raised with their own gun rack in their bedroom, so keeping them out of mine was never a problem. lol
I can understand young kids, but how does one really keep one ready and truly where a kid could not get to it.

Boyscout
12-06-2012, 05:11 PM
I own a Stack-on safe and had a Stack-on gun cabinent. The cabinent twisted somehow but is still being used by my son some 15 years later for what it was intended. I got it used. I have been very pleased with the safe although it is not fire proof. I like the lay out and it is very solid.

Love Life
12-06-2012, 05:20 PM
I ain't had any of my guns fall out on the floor, with it full of guns it's too heavy to pick it up and tote it out, and they do come with lag bolts and washers to bolt 'em down.

So what you are saying is that my gunsafe poses a risk due to not having enough guns in it to make it heavy enough? That is all the reason I need to buy some more. I can see it now explaining it to the Mrs. "I had to have them! The less than full safe posed a public safety hazard by being to light!"

Hmmm. What to stock it with.

Shooter
12-06-2012, 05:21 PM
The Stack-on is better than a glass front case.
I have heard that they can be opened by applying a angle grinder to the top edges, and lifting the guns out the top.

imashooter2
12-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Given tools and time, the Homak / Stack On cabinets are coming open pretty quickly. But in the majority of burglaries the thieves are only in the house for a couple of minutes and they aren't prepared to bust open even modest lock boxes. Buy better if you can, but I see no reason to turn up your nose at a device that can protect against many hazards just because it cannot protect against all hazards.

imashooter2
12-06-2012, 07:45 PM
The Stack-on is better than a glass front case.
I have heard that they can be opened by applying a angle grinder to the top edges, and lifting the guns out the top.

Most RSC grade home "safes" can be opened pretty easily with an axe going through the side and peeling the thinner metal used there. Yet most thieves lack knowledge and vision and waste time attacking the door.

RayinNH
12-06-2012, 08:04 PM
I live in an old New England house. If I were to bring a real gunsafe into the house it would probably go through the floor and end up in the basement. The basement is out for storage because it's too damp having a rubble stone foundation that leaks whenever it rains.

Low end gunsafes aren't that much more secure either. They have a bit of insulation and carpeting added with a slightly better lock but the metal is thin...Ray

Bad Water Bill
12-06-2012, 08:10 PM
A lock is ONLY to keep honest folks honest.

A true professional will be in almost any safe in just a couple of minutes.

Mal Paso
12-06-2012, 09:53 PM
A lock is ONLY to keep honest folks honest.

A true professional will be in almost any safe in just a couple of minutes.

A true professional wouldn't be in my house unless he was lost.

imashooter2
12-06-2012, 11:14 PM
A true professional wouldn't be in my house unless he was lost.

LOL! True enough here as well...

km101
12-06-2012, 11:23 PM
I have a Stack-On cabinet that I have used for ammo storage for more than 20 years. Works fine and is good cheap lockable storage, but it is not a gun safe by any means. It holds lots of ammo and gives me more room in my gun safe. I think it does a good job.

And I am like Mal Paso, I dont have to worry about a Professional, they have better things to do and better places to go! :)

Gliden07
12-06-2012, 11:51 PM
Well they at least lock your firearms up. This as the first post says is a GUN CABINET not a GUN SAFE. At least there truthful about there use! The ones that get me are the companies that make cheap safes!!

nvbirdman
12-07-2012, 12:45 AM
I bought a used Stack-On cabinet but it only came with one key. I wrote to them asking for another key and since they had no more keys available for that lock they sent me a new lock with two keys.

SharpsShooter
12-07-2012, 08:26 AM
I've used one for 29 years with no complaints. I lag bolted it to the floor and wall, so walking off with it is not likely.

SS

mold maker
12-07-2012, 09:09 AM
If I had a collection of expensive guns, I would keep them in a high priced safe. Since most of what I have are just shooters, I keep the kids out, with a Stackon cabinet.
Both safes and gun cabinets serve different uses, and some of the same. Use what you can afford determined by what you have to put in them.
What ever you use is only a slight aggravation to a thief.

44fanatic
12-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Ive got mine bolted to the floor and wall in a small closet in the house. Out of site and out of mind...
If a thief wanted in there, it wouldnt take much, but being in the closet, they are not going to get as much leverage with a crow bar or a good swing with an axe.

Now, if'n we are concerned about getting weight into one, don't we all have a few hundred pounds of ingots to put in the bottom...LOL.

alamogunr
12-07-2012, 09:37 AM
It is refreshing to see this thread with so many rational opinions about securing our firearms. I have seen threads here and on other forums that took the position that anything less than a bank vault was pointless.

I have a safe that has a label inside the door that says it is a "Residential Security Container. The usual heavy duty "gun safe" is so described. I bought it when I added up the value of my guns. About 10 years ago the "safe" cost about $2000 and weighed just over 1100 lbs. Now filled with guns and approx. 400 lbs of lead in the bottom, I'm sure it pushes a ton. Could it be defeated? Yes, but with so many neighbors close by, I doubt that thieves would be able to take the time required to open it.

I have a friend that has fewer guns and uses a Stack-On box. He has been robbed but the Stack-On was not touched. He lives in a rural area.

My younger son also has one of these and only has 3-4 guns in it. It is in his garage which is beneath 2 stories of his condo. I looked in on the garage the last time we visited and couldn't find the "safe" for all the stuff he and his wife had stored(an understatement). I doubt that thieves would be able to fight their way through to get to the guns.

These discussions always bring up what a professional is capable of. I would have to agree that a professional would be able to defeat a lot of security but there aren't that many professional thieves around. At least not in my area. The thieves around here are not very smart but usually smart enough to get in and get out very quickly. They seem to concentrate on electronics, jewelry, etc.

I'm considering an alarm system that would include my shop where my "safe" is located. My main concern is that a gun stolen from me might be used to shoot someone in the commission of a crime. Stuff can be replaced(or not) but the guilt of a life lost would remain forever.

Obviously, I have too much time on my hands and am able to type fast. Sorry for running on.

deltaenterprizes
12-07-2012, 09:45 AM
Given tools and time, the Homak / Stack On cabinets are coming open pretty quickly. But in the majority of burglaries the thieves are only in the house for a couple of minutes and they aren't prepared to bust open even modest lock boxes. Buy better if you can, but I see no reason to turn up your nose at a device that can protect against many hazards just because it cannot protect against all hazards.

You are exactly right, anything to slow them down. You are concerned with keeping kids and dopers out and anything that takes longer than 15 mins to get into they will leave alone.

Most street guns used in crimes come from car and house burglaries.

Roosters
12-07-2012, 11:46 AM
The safe I have is a Field & Stream and I think they are made by Stack-On. Pleased with it.
Most are only a deterrent anyway.
Own one of these it cuts ½ plate steel like a regular saw cuts plywood. If the top or a side are exposed you could be in about any of them almost as fast as with the combination.
http://www.discountsteel.com/items/Evolution_Steel__Saw5_230-HDX.cfm
Adding a alarm system is a good next step.
Anything is better than standing in a closet. It’s about making it inconvenient and time consuming .

Here is a story where they carried off a 500 lb safe with 15 guns inside. :shock:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/117289027
Easy to get to they’ll take it out like you brought it in except they wont be as careful or take as long.

Kraschenbirn
12-07-2012, 12:24 PM
I've had a Stack-On cabinet in my garage workshop for four or five years with no problems/complaints. I use it as 'overflow' storage for some of my milsurps, a couple of .22s, and my 'pest control' air rifle. The rest of my guns are kept in a real gun safe inside the house. I don't store ammunition in the shop so I figure even if someone broke in and cracked the Stack-On - except for the .22s - he'd have a bit of difficulty obtaining ammo, anyway. 'Round here, big box stores just don't stock 7.5x55, .303 Brit, 8x57, 7.65 Argie, etc. and the only gunshop in the county caters, primarily, to the shotgun/claybird crowd.

Bill

BTW: Both my Stack-On and my safe are bolted to the floors where they're installed.

Bad Water Bill
12-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Sometimes being overly secure can be very expensive.

A story floated around years ago about a PROFESSIONAL jewel thief on his yearly vacation in Florida.

In a bar and the guy sitting next to him was bragging that he had a super safe security system installed in his basement and ALL DOORS AND WINDOWS. "I have 8" of solid concrete on all 4 sides and a bank vault door. No one can get in"

Well the thiefs pride was hurt. The next day he rented a van,extension cord and ladder,circular saw and a sawzall. Next he had a magnetic sign made saying the truck was from ???? emergency repair. Now he was in business. At the smart guys house the thief cut a hole in the roof and dropped into the attic. Next he kicked in the drywall ceiling and was in their bedroom directly above the secure room.

Now a nice big hole was cut in the expensive hand polished hardwood floor. A couple more kicks and the thief was thru the DRYWALL ceiling of the secure room. The thief left a note and drove away. No alarms or any other security systems were triggered because what self respecting thief would ever enter any way other than the door?[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

Silvercreek Farmer
12-07-2012, 04:21 PM
I've worked on several houses where the exterior wall was nothing more than styrofoam and vinyl siding. Real security takes steel and concrete, and lots of it. I personally do not care to live in a prison!

The cabinet is just there to keep the kid's (boys 6 & 10) and the baby sitter's (20 yr old male) hands off. The boys are being introduced to guns and shooting, but I can't trust them yet. The baby sitter is a fine young man that I trust with my kids, but I don't want him "exploring" my collection.

dagger dog
12-07-2012, 06:03 PM
I know it isn't politically correct, but my kids were raised with their own gun rack in their bedroom, so keeping them out of mine was never a problem. lol
I can understand young kids, but how does one really keep one ready and truly where a kid could not get to it.

Yeah I know where your coming from,one of my 8th grade wood shop projects was a walnut 2 gun wall hanger rack,the world has sure changed.

Love',
Load that thing up, get it heavy enough they'll bust a gut tryin' to get it out of the house !

The reason I bought mine was the price,and I wanted to store my long guns upright, I put an 18" Outers Gun Saver electric heating rod in mine, mounted it to the bottom rear wall of the cabinet,it keeps the interior temp' a couple degrees above ambeint and the guns rust free.

merlin101
12-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Buy better if you can, but I see no reason to turn up your nose at a device that can protect against many hazards just because it cannot protect against all hazards.

YEP I have three of em that I've used for years without a problem. The two long gun safe's are bolted together and a handgun safe is on top, all are also bolted to the wall. Now one safe has shelves and is filled with ammo and the small one with primers. One safe has 6 cheaper long guns. All three's main purpose now is BAIT! Let the bad guys spend time and energy on them and hopefully the won't find my "good" safe!
Buy what you can afford!

HangFireW8
12-07-2012, 09:29 PM
I have a Stack-On cabinet, it was great it apartments where the Super can let himself in at any moment. Bolted it to the back of closets, spackled and painted when I left. I lost remote controls and hand tools but never a gun or anything else in the locker.

Now that I have a house and a safe I use it to hold my power tools and torch that could be used to attack the safe.

HF

GREENCOUNTYPETE
12-07-2012, 11:08 PM
the metal cabinets are just that , like door locks on your doors they make it harder , make them work for it a bit , but mostly are around to keep kids out and undetermined people honest

a friend lost the key to his stack on or similar metal gun cabinet , 15 minutes and a sharp drill bit was about all it took
he bought a new lock for the one he drilled out and is probably still using that box

but front doors take less time than it does to knock and wait for some one to walk across the room to get the door

it is all just to keep kids and undetermined people out

they are better than nothing but not as good as something better

assess your needs

everyone's kids are different , some can handle guns in the house , some can't, only you know your kids

Bad Water Bill
12-07-2012, 11:31 PM
Years ago I was to build a stone faced fireplace in a very expensive LOG CABIN. The foundation was 12" thick and extended out to support the front porch that ran the length of the house. A second run of concrete supported the front wall of the house.

How many here would like a 10' wide X 60' long gun room sealed with a bank vault door?

Gee_Wizz01
12-08-2012, 12:30 AM
My Homak gun cabinet saved a couple of muzzle loaders from a vengeful exwife and her girl friend. I have one of the 2 lock models, and they spent at least 15 minutes trying to pry the door open and drill out the locks. I had the cabinet mounted in the back of a narrow closet where they couldn't get any leverage with a pry bar. They tried using my cordless drill, but in the process tripped my pepper spray and tear gas system. They were both surprised, and the neighbors saw them leaving the house coughing and cursing. They weren't pro's, but they had the intelligence of the average crack head, and I felt better about my cabinet. My good guns were at my best friends house locked up in his safe.

G