PDA

View Full Version : Question for you serious charcoal burners

Yance
06-23-2007, 10:40 PM
I'm trying to do a fit job of resurrecting my Grandfather's old squirrel rifle. Nothin' fancy, just a little 36" barreled half stock Southern mountain rifle that most likely began life as a .32 caliber.

After scrubbing mucho rust out of the barrel it slugs .340 bore, .3445-.345 for what's left of the grooves.

I'd like to find someone who "freshes" barrels to recut this one. I believe that taking it out to 36 cal would clean up most, if not all the pitting and still have a decent "squirrel" caliber.

I did shoot it today thanks to Lee making a .330 RB mould. Pretty amazing what a little 54 gr RB can do to a drink can.

I'm planning on contacting Toad Hall Rifleshop in Iowa first of the week and see if he does this kind of work since he already hand drills, reams, and rifles barrels.

StrawHat
06-23-2007, 11:19 PM
Yance,

I am of no help to you as all the true barrel smiths knew have gone on to their rewards.

I would ask, that if you find someone who can fresh a barrel, please post it here or in a new thread so those of us with shot out barrels can have an opportunity to get the old ones back to smoking.

Thanks.

madcaster
06-24-2007, 01:30 AM
Hey Yancy,
Good ta see you coming around to the good stuff!
Maybe Bob Hoyt,up in Pennsylvania still does this,also may want to ask L.C. Rice(Rice Barrel Company) in NC about it as well,then if that does not help try Jim Chambers and see if he can direst you to a "recutter"..
Take care fellas,and I hope that this helps.
Jeff Stamper.:coffee:

Yance
06-24-2007, 06:24 AM
Hey Yancy,
Good ta see you coming around to the good stuff!
Maybe Bob Hoyt,up in Pennsylvania still does this,also may want to ask L.C. Rice(Rice Barrel Company) in NC about it as well,then if that does not help try Jim Chambers and see if he can direst you to a "recutter"..
Take care fellas,and I hope that this helps.
Jeff Stamper.:coffee:

Hi Jeff;

I'll have to check on Bob Hoyt. L.C. has just sold out the boring portion of the business to his brother, Liston. Now everything but the stress relieving will be done "just around the corner" from me. Liston has a fascinating shop, but his equipment is set up for round stock, with the profiling being towards the end of the process.

Worse comes to worst, I've been studying a couple of different folks' plans for boring/reaming benches and rifleing machines. Landlady's "new" barn still has some room in the loft.<G>

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
06-24-2007, 08:23 AM
Bob Hoyt is located at 700 Fairfield Station Rd, Fairfield, Pa. 17320. Ph 717-642-6696.
Bob makes barrels, relines, and recuts barrels, most of the work on machines he built, good craftsman, (won't work on an inline, don't ask):mrgreen:
Nick

Lucky Joe
06-24-2007, 09:59 AM
I would think the information you are looking for could be found here.

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/index.php

Might be worth a try, good luck and glad you have a family rifle to do that with.

shooter575
06-26-2007, 01:39 PM
I second Bobby Hoyt.He has relined a dozen of so of my barrels.He will rebore your barrel to whatever size,# of lands you want and twist.
He is a one man shop so has a hard time getting to the phone.I just leave a message to call me back.

Baron von Trollwhack
06-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Mr Hoyt produces the finest work whether recutting or relining . One thing not to forget is the breeching involved in a worn ,rusted barrel such as you described.and he is fully competent there too. BvT